: pwr steering and AC broke

mjk
09-24-07, 06:57 PM
So I'm driving on the highway from work and suddenly my power steering and AC stop working at the same time. :mad:
Anybody had that happen to them?

Car's at the dealer right now.

Stoopalini
09-25-07, 09:47 AM
Sounds liks a belt broke, as both the PS pump and the AC compressor are belt driven.

Should be a quick & easy fix for the dealer.

Thomas.

mjk
10-08-07, 09:43 AM
yup! The compressor froze and broke the belt.

Got a new compressor and guess what....next week it does it again.

Nothing breaks this time, but if I put the AC on, the car just dies!

So back to the dealer.:helpless:

c5 rv
10-08-07, 10:39 AM
Interesting... My engine is surging when the A/C compressor kicks on the first time after starting the car, especially in hot weather. The dealer can't duplicate the problem. Maybe the compressor is getting ready to fail and the computer is over-compensating for the sudden friction.

mjk
10-21-07, 03:47 PM
Just an update...the car is still at the shop. Apparently when the copmressor failed the first time it contaminated the whole system. What in turn caused it to fail the second time. I was told the whole 'AC system' needs to be replaced. So after 2 weeks I still don't have the car. Thank GOD it happend under warrranty, 'cause at $129/hr labor I'd probably have to sell my wifes car to pay for the repairs.:ill:

GMPP here I come

conedoctor
10-22-07, 12:34 AM
It was the dealers own stupid fault, when a pump piles up the parts have to go somewhere.

What year and engine do you have?

ewill3rd
10-22-07, 08:00 AM
There are a couple of different failures that can cause a compressor to lock up.
If the guts shred themselves, then yeah... some serious work can be involved.
If the clutch locks up it is a different story.
I would service it based on the failure.
Apparently you got someone that didn't know the difference.

mjk
10-22-07, 11:11 AM
I have 04 V6 with 47000+ miles.

I wonder if there's some sort of claim review process at GM. It seems like GM ought to question some of the work and not reimburse the dealer if they screwed up.

I just want my car back, although 08 ESV loaner is very nice.:D

mjk
11-14-07, 10:45 PM
ok after 16-day AC System service I got my SRX back.

And guess what???? The next day the compressor fails again. :eek: I mean...What the F$@!
So it locks-up ones, I think to myself…parts break, no big deal.

I get it back and the whole system blows off. Crap gets into the system, I don't have the car for more than 2 weeks and I start getting worried.

Now it failed again. Dealer diagnosis: compressor failure. :mad:

At this point I filed a complaint with the customer support and we're in the process of them figuring out what Cadillac can offer me.

I think that I'll be offered extended warranty on the AC system only, just in case it keeps on happening.

My worry is that what else may have gotten screwed up by this whole thing? Is it all related only to AC components or should I be worried that some other parts may be damaged? For trhe same thing to fail three times in a row, something must be seriously wrong.
I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on what to ask of the dealer/Cadillac.
I would be happy with extended warranty on the AC as long as I'm confident that nothing else has gotten damaged by what it looks like service department ignorance.

Again, anybody who's more educated on the subject, feel free to comment. I do appreciate it.

john d
11-14-07, 11:15 PM
I may be over sensitive to issues like this but I'd be concerned about the entire drive train and accessories (power steering, alternator, water pump, etc.) if the lockup's caused abrupt stoppage of all moving parts. Such a shock could cause microscopic cracks in gears, shafts, cases, bearings, etc., which would fail some time in the future prematurely without warning.
Of course, there's the unknown issue of how hot things got and what stresses were endured throughout in the breakage process. Wiring? Fluids?
Why not ask for a complete extended warranty like they give on Certified used Cadillac's with NO deductible for the duration of your ownership with no time or mileage limit with no cost loaner cars?

Northern SRX
11-15-07, 06:25 AM
I wouldn't be too worried about downstream consequences of the AC failure - plus, they are almost impossible to prove. However, this problem could strand you again and you not only need extended warranty for the AC unit but also extended roadside assistance and a free loaner with no deductible. Given the inconvenience - and that the dealer's initial diagnosis was probably at least a part of the problem - I would expect them to upgrade that to a year of the GMPP. If they won't, try to get at least a couple of years of free oil changes. I've gotten this before - even though I had to appeal to the owner of the dealership.