: High Curb + STS = Trouble

Skibanker
09-23-07, 04:50 PM
I have a bad habit of pulling in too far in parking spots until my tires hit the curb. In the STS, that has resulted in a pretty scratched up front bumper bottom.:banghead:
I'm sure the dealers would want a small fortune to fix. :lildevil: Anyone have any experience in a do-it-yourself type fix? Maybe some touch-up paint in a small hobby sprayer after a little sanding? Or am I dreaming here about a professional look on the cheap?

MARKVIII
09-23-07, 08:00 PM
i don't know why the paint and finish on the sts is so delicate. my red pearl car scratches so easy. i had it proffesionally stripped, waxed and poliched and many scratches came out but not all. you must be very carefull when washing and drying. use only high grade micro cotten towels. dont press to hard and dont run it WILL scratch. i have heard this from other owners as well. i cannot understand why this cars paint is so delicate.

dkozloski
09-23-07, 11:47 PM
If you've scratched the paint on the bumper lower edge there's a good chance you've also wiped out the lower splash shield to the tune of $200.

coati
09-24-07, 12:15 AM
i don't know why the paint and finish on the sts is so delicate. my red pearl car scratches so easy. i had it proffesionally stripped, waxed and poliched and many scratches came out but not all. you must be very carefull when washing and drying. use only high grade micro cotten towels. dont press to hard and dont run it WILL scratch. i have heard this from other owners as well. i cannot understand why this cars paint is so delicate.

I have to agree with you there.
I've noticed that myself on my '06 STS in Stealth Gray.
The paint is very soft & can scratch & chip pretty easily.
After many coats of Zaino polish, it seems much harder & tougher now.

coati
09-24-07, 12:28 AM
I have a bad habit of pulling in too far in parking spots until my tires hit the curb. In the STS, that has resulted in a pretty scratched up front bumper bottom.:banghead:
I'm sure the dealers would want a small fortune to fix. :lildevil: Anyone have any experience in a do-it-yourself type fix? Maybe some touch-up paint in a small hobby sprayer after a little sanding? Or am I dreaming here about a professional look on the cheap?

Very true.
Whenever there's a parking curb in front of the car, you have to be very careful not to get too close or else you'll easily hit the lower black splash guard & worse yet possibly hit the painted bumper section w/air dam & damage that.

When backing into a parking spot w/a curb, there is a danger as well of hitting the black painted mufflers attached to the chrome exhaust tips.
The rear bumper is pretty high so it can easily go over a curb.
That's happened to me a few times.

jgrade
09-24-07, 10:51 AM
I too have cracked and scratched the front. I have the EGX package (from dealer) and my wife took out the front the first week. However,I am a bit lucky having a black car. A little bondo, orbital sander and glossy spray paint and it looks good as new. The paint was actually a recommendation from the body shop at the dealer.

Slofobic
09-24-07, 02:57 PM
Ouch, give it a try...or go with a matte finish:cool2:
worst that could happen is you take it to the dealer and pay.

dkozloski
09-24-07, 03:44 PM
The guy that invented those curb bumpers for parking lots giggles to himself everytime he contemplates the damage that's ensued.

rb92gt
09-24-07, 09:01 PM
Very low front end is really impractical, especially if my wife needs to drive the car, no offense ladies! The price you have to pay for it to look good I guess. Get this... mine scrapes even backing of my driveway just because of the small gutter running down the street. I think what I hear though is just the lower black splash guard. Oh ya, on a completely unrelated side note, just got my car back for the 4th time from the dealer for rear diff leak. This time replaced the entire rear diff. Can't even imagine what that would have cost without a warranty, guessing $3000? I've heard the carrier (housing) itself is $1000 without any parts such as ring/pinion/seals.