: STS Navigation Works Great!

dkozloski
09-23-07, 03:44 PM
I've had working map data for Alaska for a couple of weeks now. Everything works great. I don't understand the complaints about data entry while driving because it'll do everything I have had a need to do so far. I can select a new destination and it does a great job of selecting the best route. There is no POI data for Alaska so I have to scroll the map manually to select a destination I haven't used before but that's easy to do.

thefred
09-23-07, 08:30 PM
Are you saying you can enter an address while your car is moving? You would be the first.... Or are you selecting from previously entered addresses?

dkozloski
09-23-07, 10:04 PM
Are you saying you can enter an address while your car is moving? You would be the first.... Or are you selecting from previously entered addresses?
I'm saying that there is no index or POI data for Alaska(no applicable region) so it's a waste of time to try to enter an address with the keys. What I do is manually scroll the map to where I want to go and punch the destination icon. The downside is that you have to be smart enough to know where you want to go. To my mind this makes more sense than entering an address and blindly following the directions to see where you wind up.

Onalaska
09-23-07, 11:00 PM
Glad to see they finally made a disk that included Alaska. My only problem with scrolling to the place I want to go is that when I zoom out to see where I want to go all of the detail goes away and unless it is a major road like an interstate I see nothing but a blank map which kind of defeats the purpose. And talk about a squirrely scrolling interface, man that thing is nuts. I have a PDA with Garmin software and it is lightyears ahead of the Denso unit in the car. Why can't we buy an American built car with an American built nav system?