: These Damn brakes

RANGER 66
09-23-07, 02:02 PM
I know there are a couple of different threads on this subject, but what is the deal with the brakes on the SRX? As of Friday I have had 2 brake jobs in less than a year with less than 12,000 miles in between. When I say brake jobs I don't mean the $99 meineke pads special, I mean new rotors and pads all the way around. Both times we took the car to the dealer and they did the work. The first time in DEC 06 was $1200 and then last week it was $500. Last week the dealer ate the cost of labor and some of the materials that's why it was only $500. The part I don't understand is this car isn't a high performance sports car and we don't do any spirited driving. Why is the braking setup so fragile? The dealer can't seem to explain why this is happening and uses the phrase "that's just the SRX"

:mad::rant2::rant2::rant2::rant2::mad::mad:

louisn
09-23-07, 03:58 PM
My brakes squeak periodically--but no other problems after 2 1/2 years. Cured the squeak with 5 hard stops from 50 mph in succession. It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't understand brake problems--seems to be no rhyme or reason. I would ask to talk to the regional guy in person or call GM and tell him what your dealer said. That is B.S.!!! Most SRX's brakes are fine-"if that's just the SRX" Cadillac should replace all our brakes..

dkozloski
09-23-07, 04:06 PM
Heat is what kills brakes. Some trouble areas are riding the brakes on a downgrade rather than using engine braking. Not starting your braking soon enough at stop signs and red lights. Not leaving enough room behind the car ahead so you're constantly reacting. I'd be having a friend who gets good brake life ride with me and see if they can spot anything.

n7don_srx
09-23-07, 08:05 PM
Wonder if there's something going on that doesn't allow the line pressure to fully release the brakes. If the pads are constantly applied, heat, as suggested, could be excessive. Are you replacing all four positions? Generally rears last much longer than fronts.
Things that can cause excessive drag include a mis-adjusted stop light switch not allowing the pedal to fully release & brake booster push rod mis-adjusted. There's probably more but seems like the dealer should explore the possibilities.

c5 rv
09-23-07, 08:18 PM
I noticed that when my SRX was new, the rear wheels, especially the right rear, collected a lot more brake dust than the front wheels between washings. When I took it in, I was told the rear brakes weren't assembled correctly and were dragging. Since the fix, the brake dust accumulation seems balanced on all 4 wheels.

GMJim
09-23-07, 09:17 PM
"that's just the SRX"

Bummer, I understand your frustration. My 04 had 62K with original brakes.
My 06 has 22K and no problem. 80% Highway. It's not just the SRX. It's your SRX, and they need to fix it.

pietroraimondi
09-24-07, 09:51 AM
Heat is what kills brakes. Some trouble areas are riding the brakes on a downgrade rather than using engine braking. Not starting your braking soon enough at stop signs and red lights. Not leaving enough room behind the car ahead so you're constantly reacting. I'd be having a friend who gets good brake life ride with me and see if they can spot anything.

Koz makes a good point and more often than not, very subtle riding of the brakes much like ridiing the clutch pedal and not using engine braking on a downgrade will absolutely cause premature wear of the pad and rotor surfaces in an incredible amount of time.

You see it all the time with folks coming to a stop at a traffic signal/sign and you watch the vehicle lurch forward on it's front struts as it comes to a final stop.

If you find that you are generally "hard" on brakes; you may want to consider ordering a set of OEM rotors and having them cryo treated and heat tempered.

dkozloski
09-24-07, 11:32 AM
You sometimes see left foot brakers with both the brake and gas pedals depressed at the same time in close maneuvering situations; sometimes at freeway speeds.

RANGER 66
09-24-07, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the input. I am not a "brake rider" but this is the MRS's car and she is a little harder on the brakes. Even still I think the wear is beyond excessive. I am also going to look into using another dealer as the "that's just the SRX" comment has irked me. If something comes up I will update you guys here.

Thanks

dkozloski
09-24-07, 02:40 PM
I've ridden with drivers whose use of the brake and gas pedals so unnerved me I was ready to get out and walk home. When I tried to call it to their attention they looked at me like I had two heads. Everybody seems to think that they are the second coming of Tazio Nuvolari.

TSS
09-24-07, 04:05 PM
Any chance your wife takes the SRX to a drive through a car wash while the vehicle is hot, then brakes hard shortly after she exits? My wife used to warp rotors every 6 months this way on her SLS. We then had a talk about braking hard right after the brakes are VERY hot, then quickly cooled off - no warping since. She did this on several vehicles until I was advised by a mechanic of what could possibly be causing the warping. If your wife is simply wearing out pads, that is an entirely different story. If the carwash scenerio sounds familiar, have her gently brake the first few times after exiting the car wash before braking hard and maybe teach her how to safely dry off the brakes. Something about the heating, quick cooling, and then hard braking all in rapid sequence .... Who knows... don't care though, because at least for me, seems to have helped.

RANGER 66
09-24-07, 04:11 PM
I'll have to Google that guy but I can only assume he is some type of great driver. Thanks for the tip. I will look into it.

RLTW

dkozloski
09-24-07, 04:32 PM
I'll have to Google that guy but I can only assume he is some type of great driver. Thanks for the tip. I will look into it.

RLTW
Be sure to have plenty of time if you Google Tazio Nuvolari. He has a fascinating history that makes for great reading.

dkozloski
09-24-07, 04:42 PM
One time Tazio qualified on the pole for an F1 race at the Nurburgring. An upstart newcomer made his run but he took a shortcut through a part of the track that was changed that shortened the distance by about a mile and a half and beat Tazio's time by over a minute. Tazio was shagrinned and embarrassed. He tore off like a madman, beat the cheaters time, and went the full distance around to do it.

At the Grand Prix of Monza for motorcycles he had a bad crash in practice and broke both his legs. The next day he had a couple of mechanics carry him to his motorcycle, they tied him on it and he won the race.

RANGER 66
09-25-07, 12:26 PM
I see there is a rich history about this guy. Google brought up several pages

RLTW

z32drifter
09-26-07, 10:20 PM
My wifes SRX has 31k on the orignal brakes and they look like they have 30% or so remaining.