: 2004 srx northstar allwheel drive

2004REDLINE
09-22-07, 03:41 PM
hi i am new to this forum, i just purchased a 2004 northstar all wheel drive i would greatly appricate any help on explaining how the all wheel drive system works the more techinical the better thanks

urbanski
09-22-07, 04:26 PM
welcome! got pics?

sgilbert
09-22-07, 06:22 PM
Yes, welcome. 4 wheels all the time thru slipping differentials. It's AWD--not 4 wheel drive. Anything more technical and the black helos will be after me. :)

AJxtcman
09-22-07, 11:32 PM
hi i am new to this forum, i just purchased a 2004 northstar all wheel drive i would greatly appricate any help on explaining how the all wheel drive system works the more techinical the better thanks

V6?
well
hmmmmm
OK
Hmmmm
I know how it works, but if I tell you I don't think you will under stand.
:rant2:
I will try
The rear diff if it is open (non locking) will not drive a car if one wheel is off the ground.
On a FWD if you have an open diff (typical) and one wheel is off the ground you will not move.
The reason in both cases is because the energy has an escape route.
Now the transfer case is an open diff with two planetary gear sets. They have different ratios. This give you the 40/60 split. If one wheel is off the ground the Truck will not move. basically you have 3 open diffs.
If you what more info I can get it, but the amount of info take up space and it would be nice is you supported the cause. (cadillac owners forum)

nstar
09-23-07, 08:39 AM
V6?
well
hmmmmm
OK
Hmmmm
I know how it works, but if I tell you I don't think you will under stand.
:rant2:
I will try
The rear diff if it is open (non locking) will not drive a car if one wheel is off the ground.
On a FWD if you have an open diff (typical) and one wheel is off the ground you will not move.
The reason in both cases is because the energy has an escape route.
Now the transfer case is an open diff with two planetary gear sets. They have different ratios. This give you the 40/60 split. If one wheel is off the ground the Truck will not move. basically you have 3 open diffs.
If you what more info I can get it, but the amount of info take up space and it would be nice is you supported the cause. (cadillac owners forum)
:welcome:

MortnCyn
09-23-07, 09:42 AM
See the attachment.

john d
09-24-07, 02:49 AM
See the attachment.
GOOD JOB! ! !

ewill3rd
09-24-07, 09:13 AM
This might add a touch more info.

ArcticAir
09-24-07, 10:29 PM
See the attachment.

Is this the same AWD they use in the V6 ?

MortnCyn
09-25-07, 09:45 AM
I think it is/was the same V6 or V8. However the V8 is a 6 speed tranny starting in the 2007 models.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/111061-v8-6-speed-transmission-vs-v6.html

pietroraimondi
09-25-07, 08:09 PM
This might add a touch more info.

Bill...we traded our 2004 SRX AWD N* in May for a new 2007 SRX AWD Northstar.

The tech bulletin that you provided states that in model year 2007 the Borg Warner units were updated from a 50/50 torque base to 40 front 60 rear in 2007.

I'm assuming this update also provides some technological engineering upgrades as well. But I don't understand how 40/60 provides constant and better AWD traction than 50/50.

Does the change from 50/50 to 40/60 have anything to do perhaps with the vehicles overall weight distribution with more of the SRX's vehicle weight being concentrated front of center?

BTW; the new 6 six tranny compared to the older 5 speed is incredible. It's shifts are silky smooth and absolutely seamless.
Any of your professional thoughts and expertise is always welcomed for those of us that always want to "know more".:worship:

ewill3rd
09-26-07, 07:43 AM
I didn't see any information that would differentiate between a V6 and a V8, I am sure it is the same transfer case.

As to why GM changed it? I have no real idea. As much as I'd like them to, they never check with me before they make these changes. :D
It could be as simple as Borg Warner offering them a price break if they switched production models or they could have gone back to them asking for a different setup for some other reason. Not sure.

I think they put more time and effort into the 6 speed than they did the 5, plus the extra give gives them more to play with. I haven't paid close attention. Heck I don't think I have even worked on a new SRX yet.
Too busy with XLRs these days. Seems like they are lining up on me.
Seems word is out on where to go to get your car fixed ;)

john d
09-26-07, 06:04 PM
I didn't see any information that would differentiate between a V6 and a V8, I am sure it is the same transfer case.

As to why GM changed it? I have no real idea. As much as I'd like them to, they never check with me before they make these changes. :D
It could be as simple as Borg Warner offering them a price break if they switched production models or they could have gone back to them asking for a different setup for some other reason. Not sure.

I think they put more time and effort into the 6 speed than they did the 5, plus the extra give gives them more to play with. I haven't paid close attention. Heck I don't think I have even worked on a new SRX yet.
Too busy with XLRs these days. Seems like they are lining up on me.
Seems word is out on where to go to get your car fixed ;)
Perhaps the TSB transfer case numbers are for the old style high lash vs. the low lash models.
Congrats on being so busy.
It's good to see dedication, expertise and professionalism recognized!