: Rattle Help

MARKVIII
09-22-07, 01:23 PM
The one thing i hate more then anything else is when you have rattles/vinration noises in a 60k car. There is something or some-things making rattle/vibration noises on the passenger side of the car. i think i have isolated it down to the front/mid area. Not the back. I have brought it back to cadillac twice and twice they fiddled around with the passenger seat and some loose cables under it. It still rattles over rough/uneven road. sometimes quite loud. The piller where the seatbelt is connected also seems to make some sort of noises and upon further inspection i think maybe that is something to investigate. does anyone have any ideas what i can do to minimize this noise??.
thanks

Skibanker
09-22-07, 04:04 PM
I had a rattle in my driver side door and the tech had to remove the door panel to batten down whatever it was. He drove the car just once over a rough section of road and identified the problem.

dhemrick
09-22-07, 05:20 PM
I have the exact same rattle but I can't figure out what it is. It has been there for a while. I'm taking it in to the dealer next week to get them to look at it. I'll let you know what they say and if they fix it.

MARKVIII
09-22-07, 06:23 PM
sounds great..thanks

Onalaska
09-22-07, 09:24 PM
Mine also has various rattles when driven over a course paved road. There is definately a buzz coming from the drivers seat belt adjuster in the door post and it's right in my ear! I can hold my hand on it and make it quit, but I don't know how to fix it. There is another intermittant buzz coming from the console in the roof. At first I thought it was coming from the dash, but I have learned that it is just reflecting off of the windshield making it sound like the dash. I don't know which is worse the rattles or the ever present rear end whine which seems to be getting worse.

MARKVIII
09-23-07, 04:28 AM
i also had the belt adjuster rattle. i have minimized it by adjusting the belt one notch above the lowest setting. this seems to have helped quite a bit. very frustrating these noises are...

porkfarm
09-23-07, 11:25 AM
Dealer stuffed some foam packing in the sunroof, toward the front of it, where the switches are. That took care of about 97% of the sunroof rattle. I changed the fluid in the rear end. Took about 20mins.. I didn't have the whine, but still like to change fluids.

edstockunas
09-23-07, 01:38 PM
I too have some rattles. There was one in the driver side door panel that i knew exactly where it was coming from and the techs kept fixing other areas instead. It was from the window buttons and the side view miror control. Finally they took my advice and put foam up in there and it is gone.

On the rattle coming from the passenger side, i had the same thing for a while until i think i figured it out. The part of the seatbelt that buckles into the fastner has a small plastic piece that sits directly under the medal buckle and it rattles against it. Drove me nuts for a long time.

There are many other rattles in my 60k car though!

MARKVIII
09-23-07, 02:05 PM
I always wonder if it is just my car or are there others. i mean do 60k BMW and Mercedes rattle? I mean i just want a quite smooth ride am i asking too much??

Skibanker
09-23-07, 03:32 PM
Have some more info on my driver door rattle. Work order says "Remove front door trim punchout. Reposition holding brace. Reassemble." As for parts, installed a new "retainer". Hope this helps.

MARKVIII
09-23-07, 04:05 PM
any info does. i am going to look at it closer on monday to see if i can see or find something that tells me what it might be.

DrWizard
09-25-07, 11:47 AM
I also thought it was only me. My rattle comes from the front passenger door. I took it to the dealer. They, of course, couldn't locate it. I think mine is coming from the speaker, possible the mount.

dhemrick
09-25-07, 01:48 PM
This seems to be a common problem. I'm going in for service tomorrow with this on my list. I'll let you know what they find.

MARKVIII
09-25-07, 01:54 PM
i checked everything i could and the more i think of it the more i think it might be passenger door/handle/speaker.
somewhere in that area. i dont think its the sunroof/headliner/glove compartment. they already fixed the passenger seat so i am running out of idears. keep me posted and thanks

justgreat
09-25-07, 02:33 PM
even the german hardware squeaks: my wife's interior on her a6 has stress/compression type squeaks on the plastic interior pieces and don't get me started on her floppy sun visor. having said that NO car especially a caddy should rattle, regardless of the price tag.

i have my caddy in the shop today for a front end squeak that only happens going over speed bumps or driveway drop offs...seems to be more prevelent on the colder temp days. other than the f/e noise and the seat belt clip rattle on the plastic button, my caddy is quiet.

jackg
06 sts6

dhemrick
09-25-07, 09:03 PM
i checked everything i could and the more i think of it the more i think it might be passenger door/handle/speaker.
somewhere in that area. i dont think its the sunroof/headliner/glove compartment. they already fixed the passenger seat so i am running out of idears. keep me posted and thanks

This precisely describes my rattle We'll see after tomorrow. It drives me insane. No Cadillac should squeak. Show the Germans how it's done. :p

smoey847
09-25-07, 11:21 PM
Let's see. I seem to have TONS of little quirks with the noise factor. When you have OCD, this can become a very stressful problem. ha ha. There is a slight rattle somewhere in the passenger door. Seems like it could be the door handle or something? Also, when closing the passenger door, it sometimes sounds like something is loose inside the door. Second, I HATE THE REAR-VIEW MIRROR! It rattles, even at the slightest volume of the stereo with bass. Very annoying. Thirdly, my brake pedal squeaks when it is depresssed. Not sure what it is. Unlubricated spring or something? Any help is appreciated.

MARKVIII
09-26-07, 08:02 AM
i would suggest if it is under warrenty drop it off and get a loaner and let them handle it. i intend to do just that next week.

justgreat
09-26-07, 12:16 PM
if possible, take the time and do a test ride with the tech, it's almost fruitless to try and nail a noise/squeak problem without one.

jackg
06sts6

Skibanker
09-26-07, 07:49 PM
I think my post about what the dealer found (and fixed) in my driver door must be invisible. Check page one, folks.

jgrade
09-27-07, 09:37 AM
That rattle is about my only persisting complaint. I used to work next to the dealer so I had the car there about 15 times for the rattle. NEVER got it fixed!! Skibanker; they did what your dealer did with no results. They also changed out the seat belt retractor, door and window mechanism, stuffed all types of faom in there, rails, switches, etc, etc. I was a real nightmare for them but too bad. Lately, it has gotten worse so i am still looking for a fix. My biggest problem is that i am never in th passenger seat so it's hard to tell exactly where it is coming from. I had the tech ride with me 5 times. Each time he heard the sound clearly. Even the service manager heard the sound in the last ride. Thankfully, I listen to my music as loud as the barely adequate amp will let me (another issue but livable).

MARKVIII
09-27-07, 10:53 AM
i took apart my passenger speaker cover and checked the speaker. its sitting in there real solid. i notice that all the door panels have lots of play in them. i wonder if this could be the source of the rattle/vibration. on another note i too agree that for all the hoopla and specs on the bose system it in my opinion does not live up to my expectations. with all those speakers i am expecting concert sound but i am not impressed.

Skibanker
09-27-07, 01:09 PM
Sorry you're having trouble, jgrade. Nothing more annoying than a persistent rattle. Maybe time to let another dealer have a crack at it?

jgrade
09-27-07, 01:19 PM
You're probably right, but the dealer was in the same parking lot as where I worked, so I'd drop it off in the morning and pick it up after work. It was so easy.

dhemrick
09-27-07, 11:08 PM
i took apart my passenger speaker cover and checked the speaker. its sitting in there real solid. i notice that all the door panels have lots of play in them. i wonder if this could be the source of the rattle/vibration. on another note i too agree that for all the hoopla and specs on the bose system it in my opinion does not live up to my expectations. with all those speakers i am expecting concert sound but i am not impressed.

Well, at least in my case MarkVIII, your guess about the door panels was right. My rattle was being caused by the door panel rattling against where it met the metal of the door down at the bottom. It was happening while driving the car and at certain bass frequencies coming from the speaker in the passenger door.

I got mine back from service today and the rattle is gone! Supposedly all they did is take the door panel off and add some extra padding behind the lower section of it to isolate it from the door. It seems to have done the trick.

dhemrick
10-03-07, 08:49 PM
Well, just to update on this subject. The fix lasted for precisely one day. The day after I posted this, a passenger opened and closed the door and the rattle came back 10 times worse than it was before. I couldn't listen to the radio at any volume without a severe rattle in the door.

I took it back to the dealer and they are now going to replace the speaker. There were none available locally or in the distribution center in Charlotte, so they are shipping one in from Michigan. They gave me a CTS to drive which is OK, but I sure miss my STS-V.

Hortaja
04-19-08, 10:26 PM
Hey guys I just got my 05 STS and love it but I have this dreded door bass rattle. Any updates from those of you who also had the rattle?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

firststs
04-20-08, 07:41 AM
My '08 STS with about 3,600 miles also has the rattle in the passenger door area. It is the one thing about the car that is driving me crazy, but I haven't had time to take the car to the dealer. Everytime I hear it I think the same thing as everyone else - a $50K car should not sound like a 20 year old Chevy. My 2003 Bonneville never had any rattles like this, even at 55,000 miles when I traded it in.

MARKVIII
04-20-08, 10:58 AM
I have had my car back 3 times for the drivers seat noise..every time they think they fix it they don't. now the seat actually chirps when i sit down and move around. so i have to bring it back again. the waste of time, gas and aggravation is real annoying. plus they finally fixed the rattle in the passenger dash area (sort of) it is better but still rattles (only softer) so they can get another crack at that as long as the car is going to be there.