: Diagnose my Car's Troubles

c5 rv
09-22-07, 07:50 AM
I took my 06 SRX in for 4 warranty issues and an oil change. Current mileage is just under 19K. After 3 work days (and a weekend) of fixing the problems and waiting for parts, I got it back. It appears they performed the oil change but the 4 problems are still there, so the car is going back in on Monday. I'll describe each problem, list their description from the work order, and their "fix". Please provide your diagnosis and suggested fix. Also, can anyone figure out which of these items would cause them to order parts? I'll have to ask about that on Monday, also.

1. If I turn when driving in a rough parking lot, there is a front end suspension creak from the right front as the body moves back and forth on the suspension. They diagnosed the problem as "Cause: tire rubbing RF inner fender." Their fix "Tire rubbing rf inner fender. Test drive and turn found creak type scrappin noise. Hoist and inspect. Round RF tire rubbing inner fender. Had to R&R fender and repair." Interesting that they found this, but the suspension is still creaking.

2. When turning the steering wheel at low speeds, I notice a scraping / whirring sound from the steering column. They documented the problem as "D hears a squeak from streaking column when turning." Their fix "Steering wheel cover rubbing. Test drive for squeak from column. Found steering wheel cover rubbing wheel. R&R cover and reposition." Another interesting find, but the problem persists and sounds & feels like it is in the mechanism rather than the cover.

3. When driving on somewhat rough roads, there is a creaking sound from the top of the rear hatch / headliner area. Their diagnosis and fix "VCIM out of clips. Test drive for rattle from hatch area. Can hear from right rear. R&R wheel house molding and inspect. Found VCIM popped out of bracket. Reinstall VCIM and drive. OK now." What is a VCIM? Again, another interesting find, but it didn't solve the problem.

4. On cold starts, the car has started to surge when putting it in gear. Their diagnosis "On cold start up feels amiss and losoe of power." (Not quite sure how surge = loss of power.) Their fix "Loose engine air induction hose. Cold start runs rough. Check codes. Has fuel trim codes. Inspect. Found air duct lose. Had to resecure." Nice find, but the problem persists.

All of these items are (hopefully) fairly minor. But, what really has me scratching my head is all these other problems they found that did not solve the issues. Not exactly a vote of confidence for build quality.

dkozloski
09-22-07, 11:44 AM
They had to say something so it was a mild case of "Throw this whining dog a bone". They are all plausible solutions. The only way for them to know is to give you back the car and see if it's fixed. The guys who work on the cars at the dealer do not have super powers. All they can do is give the problem their best shot in a reasonable length of time. If the neurotic owner with the rabbit ears brings it back they can try something else.

john d
09-22-07, 12:51 PM
I took my 06 SRX in for 4 warranty issues and an oil change. Current mileage is just under 19K. After 3 work days (and a weekend) of fixing the problems and waiting for parts, I got it back. It appears they performed the oil change but the 4 problems are still there, so the car is going back in on Monday. I'll describe each problem, list their description from the work order, and their "fix". Please provide your diagnosis and suggested fix. Also, can anyone figure out which of these items would cause them to order parts? I'll have to ask about that on Monday, also.

1. If I turn when driving in a rough parking lot, there is a front end suspension creak from the right front as the body moves back and forth on the suspension. They diagnosed the problem as "Cause: tire rubbing RF inner fender." Their fix "Tire rubbing rf inner fender. Test drive and turn found creak type scrappin noise. Hoist and inspect. Round RF tire rubbing inner fender. Had to R&R fender and repair." Interesting that they found this, but the suspension is still creaking.

2. When turning the steering wheel at low speeds, I notice a scraping / whirring sound from the steering column. They documented the problem as "D hears a squeak from streaking column when turning." Their fix "Steering wheel cover rubbing. Test drive for squeak from column. Found steering wheel cover rubbing wheel. R&R cover and reposition." Another interesting find, but the problem persists and sounds & feels like it is in the mechanism rather than the cover.

3. When driving on somewhat rough roads, there is a creaking sound from the top of the rear hatch / headliner area. Their diagnosis and fix "VCIM out of clips. Test drive for rattle from hatch area. Can hear from right rear. R&R wheel house molding and inspect. Found VCIM popped out of bracket. Reinstall VCIM and drive. OK now." What is a VCIM? Again, another interesting find, but it didn't solve the problem.

4. On cold starts, the car has started to surge when putting it in gear. Their diagnosis "On cold start up feels amiss and losoe of power." (Not quite sure how surge = loss of power.) Their fix "Loose engine air induction hose. Cold start runs rough. Check codes. Has fuel trim codes. Inspect. Found air duct lose. Had to resecure." Nice find, but the problem persists.

All of these items are (hopefully) fairly minor. But, what really has me scratching my head is all these other problems they found that did not solve the issues. Not exactly a vote of confidence for build quality.
1. Sway bar bushing...replaced third time last week. Fix lasts a few thousand miles. If the back and forth body rocking is in a slow turn find a blacktop parking lot with a bit of sand on it. Roll down the windows, turn full lock, slowly creep (slow walking speed) and listen for a skipping or scrubbing sound from the front out side tire. If you get that you might have an alignment problem. Need ewill3rd or someone that's an alignment expert to jump in here. If it has to do with camber and caster which are non-adjustable on an SRX it may require control arm replacement....upper, lower or both. My uppers were replaced because they squeaked/creaked when slowly going over speed bumps but that seemed to fix scrub issue after an alignment.
2. After multiple lubing of the firewall boot and steering wheel hub tech support had rack and pinion replaced. It was the input seal to the rack that's apparently not replaceable, at least tech support didn't have dealer attempt. Replaced entire rack.
3. Have heard that entire top must be removed and re glued/resealed. Can you imagine that being done outside the factory?
4. have no idea.

cadillac_tech
09-24-07, 07:56 PM
1. Inner tie rod, lower control arm bushings.
2. PS gear (rack & pinion).
3. Sunroof, loose harness/retainer above headliner.
4. No idea.

These are just common finds and might not be what is wrong with yours. Sounds like the dealer tech needs to spend more time driving it.

TSS
09-25-07, 08:50 AM
Regarding issue number three:

Ironically, c5rv does not have the ultraview. Greg, didn't you specifically choose not to get one b/c of all the complaints about creaking? That has got to be annoying. Creaky roof, but no ultraview. :annoyed:

c5 rv
09-25-07, 12:16 PM
Regarding issue number three:

Ironically, c5rv does not have the ultraview. Greg, didn't you specifically choose not to get one b/c of all the complaints about creaking? That has got to be annoying. Creaky roof, but no ultraview. :annoyed:

Yeah, it figures, doesn't it? They have the car again while I tool around in an 07 DTS. Gotta love the sound of the Northstar. Maybe the sound makes it feel more powerful than the listed 275 HP. The DTS is a nice ride, but being a rental unit with 18K on the odo, it's had a hard life.

c5 rv
10-02-07, 01:13 PM
I've had the car back for a few days and all four items are still there. I called the service manager and the car is going back in tormorrow. I'm taking the list of suggested fixes. Thanks and wish me luck. I wonder if I can get a STS-V loaner?