: Brakes

racingf1
09-21-07, 05:39 PM
Anyone know of an improvement to brakes on 07 V8. New pads?

robhersch
09-23-07, 02:46 AM
I would suggest ceramic pads from either:
www.hawkperformance.com (HB467Z.540) or
www.raybestos.com (QS)
good luck

z32drifter
09-26-07, 10:29 PM
I really like Hawk pads, I run HP+s on my Z. I'll more than likely use the HPS on the SRX when the time comes. I'm not a big fan of Ceramic pads. I've found them to be long lasting and clean, but lacking in the grip department. I'll trade dirt, noise, and life span for improved fade resistance and friction performance.

pietroraimondi
09-28-07, 09:19 AM
I really like Hawk pads, I run HP+s on my Z. I'll more than likely use the HPS on the SRX when the time comes. I'm not a big fan of Ceramic pads. I've found them to be long lasting and clean, but lacking in the grip department. I'll trade dirt, noise, and life span for improved fade resistance and friction performance.

Agreed...the Hawk ceramic pads are virtually dustless, but lack the bite that the Hawk HPS pads provide for 90% of the daily driving that most of us do with regard to stop and go traffic and wet weather conditions.

The Hawk ceramic pads are great but really need to come up to temperature to provide the bite that the Hawk HPS pads provide.

For anyone considering new brake pads; you really cannot go wrong with the Hawk HPS pads as they too are virtually dustless as well.

Stoopalini
11-01-07, 04:12 PM
I'm currently looking to replace the pads on our '06, and cannot find any rear Hawk pads?

For those of you running the HPS pads, where did you find a rear set?

Thomas.

conedoctor
11-01-07, 10:07 PM
Don't worry about the rears as they are not made and you really don't need them anyway.

I would go hawk ceramic for sure, I have run HPS, HP+ and going to do Hawk Blue this year on the race car so I know them all very well.

I don't think the HPS will really give you that much extra fade resistance over the ceramic, I would say they need less heat to work vs. HPS. I would not trade dust for a bit of fade that you will never ever need on the street ever.

I have hawk ceramic in the A6 and I love them as they have no dust at all and stop great, I found the limit of them this summer on our local road course braking from 180k to about 110k and after about 5-6 laps I was getting fade.

Street pads are for the street and race pads are for the track and performance cars, just my $.02 but I am a bit tired and cranky.

Matt

Stoopalini
11-02-07, 11:21 AM
Don't worry about the rears as they are not made and you really don't need them anyway.

Don't need rear brakes? :suspect: You must be tired LOL! ... I assume you mean I don't need rear Hawk pads, and should just replace them with Autozone specials ....

I run the HPS pads on my modified '96 Z28, and love them! I've put over 20k miles on the set, and they're still holding up like new; and I do drive the car pretty hard. Brake dust is reduced greatly over any other pad I've used on the Z.

Thanks for the input,
Thomas.

conedoctor
11-02-07, 07:25 PM
Don't need rear brakes? :suspect: You must be tired LOL! ... I assume you mean I don't need rear Hawk pads, and should just replace them with Autozone specials ....

I run the HPS pads on my modified '96 Z28, and love them! I've put over 20k miles on the set, and they're still holding up like new; and I do drive the car pretty hard. Brake dust is reduced greatly over any other pad I've used on the Z.

Thanks for the input,
Thomas.

LOL, hmmm lets clear this up.

Some cars a different but what I see most is front wear and little rear wear, so yes OE or good quality pad in the rear would be cool IMO.

After 6 years of Solo II and lapping days on the Talon I had still not replaced rear pads, they just help out a bit and don't work to hard unless you leave the Ebrake on :)

Again HPS is great and I ran them for years, I just like the Hawk ceramic better for a street car that will not be driven too spiritly (sp?)

So in closing I would do Hawk ceramic front and if the OE look good in the rear I will leave them or get the best parts store pads in the rear.