: Shakeup at Ford

Playdrv4me
04-22-04, 02:49 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=568&ncid=749&e=4&u=/nm/20040422/bs_nm/autos_ford_dc

What amuses me, is that when they are talking about Ford's increased success over the recent months, they dont make a very big deal about what is probably the most important aspect.... INCREASED QUALITY...duh, yea we customers DO notice...

Blackout
04-22-04, 02:56 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=568&ncid=749&e=4&u=/nm/20040422/bs_nm/autos_ford_dc

What amuses me, is that when they are talking about Ford's increased success over the recent months, they dont make a very big deal about what is probably the most important aspect.... INCREASED QUALITY...duh, yea we customers DO notice...I would say since the new Cobra and F-150 have come out I would say that their quality has gone up dramatically IMO.

HotRodSaint
04-22-04, 03:14 PM
I would say since the new Cobra and F-150 have come out I would say that their quality has gone up dramatically IMO.
There's a new Cobra out?

Hmmm...I could swear that the consensus was back to the drawing board.

Playdrv4me
04-22-04, 03:28 PM
I would say since the new Cobra and F-150 have come out I would say that their quality has gone up dramatically IMO.

Yea I hope that wasnt interpreted the wrong way...

What I mean is exactly that, they have DRASTICALLY improved since that Jacques Nasser fellow was there. Im drooling over wanting an 03 or 04 Navi right now but I couldnt dream of affording it.

I never thought this would come out of my mouth but I LOVE Ford right now. I love what they are doing, I love that the chairman of the company is actually a FORD himself, I love alot of their new product line but mostly I love the fact that they arent sitting back on their laurels and recycling old ideas. They are going out there, revitalizing staid brands, giving us REAL looks at what some of the nameplates (Aviator) could turn into in a few years, and improving quality all around (maybe I can forgive them for Mercury after all). I know you guys probably notice that I criticize the American auto industry alot (though I feel im pretty hard on ALL carmakers), but I also am the first to recognize when they get it right and right now theres a few Fords id kick a Mercedes out of the stable to own.

GM is SLOWLY catching on to this trend, but the GM cars I like arent any different than 2 years ago. Full size trucks, and most of the "NEW" Cadillac. Other than that GM offers nothing to excite me in the same way as Ford right now. This coming from someone who two-three years ago thought Fords were poo.

Blackout
04-23-04, 12:27 PM
There's a new Cobra out?

Hmmm...I could swear that the consensus was back to the drawing board.I'm talking about the supercharged Cobra. But Lincoln's quality has gone up. We've had our Aviator I guess since October and we've loved every minute of it

HotRodSaint
04-23-04, 01:05 PM
So you mean the Mustang Cobra and not the Cobra show car?

Ralph
04-23-04, 05:30 PM
Yea I hope that wasnt interpreted the wrong way...

What I mean is exactly that, they have DRASTICALLY improved since that Jacques Nasser fellow was there. Im drooling over wanting an 03 or 04 Navi right now but I couldnt dream of affording it.

I never thought this would come out of my mouth but I LOVE Ford right now. I love what they are doing, I love that the chairman of the company is actually a FORD himself, I love alot of their new product line but mostly I love the fact that they arent sitting back on their laurels and recycling old ideas. They are going out there, revitalizing staid brands, giving us REAL looks at what some of the nameplates (Aviator) could turn into in a few years, and improving quality all around (maybe I can forgive them for Mercury after all). I know you guys probably notice that I criticize the American auto industry alot (though I feel im pretty hard on ALL carmakers), but I also am the first to recognize when they get it right and right now theres a few Fords id kick a Mercedes out of the stable to own.

GM is SLOWLY catching on to this trend, but the GM cars I like arent any different than 2 years ago. Full size trucks, and most of the "NEW" Cadillac. Other than that GM offers nothing to excite me in the same way as Ford right now. This coming from someone who two-three years ago thought Fords were poo.

Exactly how I feel about Chrysler right now. Despite the past quality stereotypes and experiences, I like the fact that they have many new exciting models right now. The most impressive being (to me) the SRT-10, and Hemi Durango. Dodge RumbleBee, etc. Still waiting for a retro Charger which I think will sell more than Mustang.

I've personally always thought GM built better cars than Ford or Chrysler, but like you mentioned, it seems to take a couple of years to re-stimulate buyers again with new stuff.

p.s. went to see the new Navs with my stepdad a couple of weeks ago, and he said "keeping one of these in gas would be like trying to keep an elephant in hay." LOL!

Msilva954
04-23-04, 10:47 PM
Right now Im linking FoMoCo the best , only because they were the first to rebuild the american image and quality, without help from a take over (MercChry). Even though Im loving all their new products were swayed at the new Dodge Magnum all the time only cuz it has bad ass style and that hemi engine while the new ford freestyle has a whimp engine and whimp styling...but that is what you need to sell to the mainstream.

GM is doing the worst right now in my opinion....product wise I mean...Ford and Chrysler both have great new products on the way that redefine the american car....GM has nothing "redefining" the new STS is better but not "redefined" same goes for the Corvette. And that new Equinox suv only has that crappy 3.4L V6 in it.

Blackout
04-24-04, 09:02 AM
GM designers couldn't design a nice looking car if their lives depended on it

gothicaleigh
04-24-04, 02:14 PM
GM designers couldn't design a nice looking car if their lives depended on it

Not an Art&Science fan, eh?

As for non-Cadillac production designs from GM that aren't too bad, I do like the Pontiac Solstice(and I generally hate all things Pontiac), the C6 'vette is growing on me, and um... someone help me out here... okay, so that's about it.

Ralph
04-24-04, 05:36 PM
Not an Art&Science fan, eh?

As for non-Cadillac production designs from GM that aren't too bad, I do like the Pontiac Solstice(and I generally hate all things Pontiac), the C6 'vette is growing on me, and um... someone help me out here... okay, so that's about it.

The C6 grew on me the second someone posted a pic of it here somewhere! Dare I say, I think the styling is ever more radical than the Ferrari 360. I LIKE IT!

Blackout: You don't like the XLR styling?? :D

Playdrv4me
04-27-04, 01:11 AM
Another way in which Ford is showing their commitment to quality is through alot of the efforts they are making in their PAG group, like getting rid of the aging Discovery and its archaic Buick V8 and replacing it with the new LR3,which looks alot like its big brother Range Rover and is powered by a brute 4.4L Jaguar V8 making 300 Horses. Another example is the new S40 based on the architecture used for the upcoming Focus and new Mazda 3. Thats a big deal to me because I honestly thought they were going to just "Ford-ize" everything and destroy brand integrity, but they are doing a tremendous job making sure that doesnt come across. Of course, theres still a few faux-pas they still need to work the kinks out of or eliminate altogether... the Jaguar X-Type comes to mind.