: Bubonic Plague Samples Missing in Texas

BeelzeBob
01-15-03, 03:26 PM
By BETSY BLANE, Associated Press Writer

LUBBOCK, Texas - Authorities on Wednesday were looking into the disappearance of samples of bubonic plague from the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center.

A statement from the university said vials of bubonic plague, being used to improve treatment of plague victims, were reported missing to campus police on Tuesday.

KCBD-TV reported at least 30 vials were unaccounted-for, and said city officials were not sure if the vials were stolen or merely misplaced.

The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal's Web site, quoting unidentified law enforcement sources, said the vials turned up missing several days earlier but wasn't reported to police until Tuesday. Sixty investigators from various converged on the medical school campus, the newspaper said.

In Washington, FBI officials confirmed that they were contacted Tuesday night about the missing vials and dispatched agents to Lubbock to assist local authorities.

White House officials have been briefed on the plague reports, said spokesman Ari Fleischer. He said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also was investigating. No other specifics about the probe were immediately available.

Bubonic plague is an infectious disease of animals and humans caused by a bacterium named Yersinia pestis. People usually get it from being bitten by a rodent flea that is carrying the plague bacterium or by handling an infected animal.

The disease can be treated with antibiotics. Health officials say 10 to 20 people in the United States contract plague each year. About one in seven U.S. cases is fatal.

Plague outbreaks have killed about 200 million people in the past 1,500 years. The most infamous, Europe's Black Death, started in 1347, killing 25 million people in Europe and 13 million in the Middle East and China within five years.

Plague along with anthrax, smallpox and a handful of other deadly agents is on a short watch list distributed by the federal government, which wants to make sure doctors and hospitals recognize a bioterror attack quickly.

But plague's symptoms can be difficult to spot. The disease is characterized by swelling, weakness and fever, symptoms that can signal anything from flu to West Nile virus.

jeff___H
01-15-03, 05:17 PM
Samples of plague reported missing in Texas later accounted for; no danger to public

LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) - The FBI said Wednesday that vials containing samples of lethal plague reported missing from Texas Tech University had been located.

``We have accounted for all those missing vials and we have determined that there is no danger to public safety whatsoever,'' FBI Agent Lupe Gonzalez said.

He said the vials, about 30 in all, were recovered Wednesday but gave few details. He wouldn't disclose whether they were stolen or merely misplaced, but said a criminal investigation was continuing.

A statement from the university earlier Wednesday had said the vials of plague, being used in a study to improve treatment of plague victims, were reported missing to campus police Tuesday.

... et cetera

BeelzeBob
01-15-03, 05:50 PM
Very interesting... Doesn't this make you wonder about what you know and what you should know?

Mr Seville
01-15-03, 07:09 PM
Bubonic Chronic??? it'll make you choke shiet that at no joke:)

kcnewell
01-15-03, 07:31 PM
If they can't prove their here lawfully, DEPORT 'EM! If they can't pledge allegance to our flag and country, DEPORT 'EM! Repeal N.A.F.T.A. and shut down the leaks in the borders and maybe this SH*T will stop! That's what I think!.......Stand for something or fall for anything!

Mad'lac
01-15-03, 07:33 PM
Say what? Good thing Lubbock is a good deal away from me.

BeelzeBob
01-15-03, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Mr Seville

Okay, Snoop Dee Ohh Double Gee. :)

We live in some dangerous times these days... Lots of wierd things happening..

Mr Seville
01-18-03, 11:51 AM
i know but whats the worst that could happen? they can't even afford pea-shooters:rolleyes: :D :banana:

FogeSLS
01-26-03, 10:12 AM
This is something else. The professor knew they were destroyed! What a nut!

Check this out: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,75806,00.html

JJhomer83
10-29-03, 09:52 AM
This is something else. The professor knew they were destroyed! What a nut!

Check this out: www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,75806,00.html

Gotta love texas (thought this was odd)

BUILDINGCTSAMG
10-29-03, 12:33 PM
Eh what do you expect from the state that gave us President Bush Juniour

ShadowLvr400
10-29-03, 01:39 PM
It's a big campus, and specimens tend to move a lot. Test tubes of bacteria are extremely tough to keep track of. Scary thought, we couldn't find a snake specimen the other week in lab. It's a very big indigo snake in a jar. Thing weighs like 50 lbs. The jar is probably 20 gallons.

BUILDINGCTSAMG
10-29-03, 02:03 PM
lol, that great about the snake

Mad'lac
10-29-03, 09:09 PM
Eh what do you expect from the state that gave us President Bush Juniour

Blame Conneticut for that one. He was born there. :rolleyes:

davesdeville
10-29-03, 10:44 PM

I had to back up off of it and sit my cup down
Tanqueray and chronic, yeah I'm f***ed up now

Yeah that professor was on 60 minutes... I cant remember what anyone said on that show though..