: Looking at '05 STS, need help on options

shudog
09-18-07, 07:42 AM
Definitely want the Northstar and probably the 1SG "Luxury Performance Package". From scanning the listings online, is the spoiler on the trunk lid the best way to spot the 1SF or 1SG option?

How about the body colored grille? Is this just an appearance option or part of another option package?

How about the 17" vs 18" wheels? Do all cars with the 1SG or 1SF packages come with 18" wheels? How many styles do the 18" wheels come in? Just the 9-spoke?

How about the Bose 5.1 15 speaker system? Does this come with the 1SG & 1SF packages? Is it a must have? Are the air conditioned seats worthwhile? I thought it seemed a little silly honestly. Heated seats are nice though.

Also, I'm debating on whether the all wheel drive option is necessary. I do live in the Detroit area, but don't drive in a ton of snow. I'm assuming with decent all season tires and the traction control, I should be able to get where I need to go safely, especially since the car weighs 4,000+ lbs. I'd rather not opt for the all wheel drive package's added weight & cost, but if the rear wheel drive doesn't go in snow, then I'll need it.

Finally, what sort of mileage can I really expect from a V8 Northstar in normal mixed driving? I've done alot of research and seen everything from 14.5 mpg from magazine test drives to 28 mpg reported by individuals on highway. I don't have a lead foot but I do put the hammer down occasionally.

Thanks.

Lifer
09-18-07, 10:05 AM
Finally, what sort of mileage can I really expect from a V8 Northstar in normal mixed driving? I've done alot of research and seen everything from 14.5 mpg from magazine test drives to 28 mpg reported by individuals on highway. I don't have a lead foot but I do put the hammer down occasionally.

Thanks.
If the Detroit City pot holes don't destroy your suspension, you can achieve a steady 17 MPG in the city, and about 24 on the road. However, in Detroit - its crawl where ever you go, and I do not know what the milage is at idle.

shudog
09-18-07, 11:28 AM
I don't really have a problem with city traffic. I live in Berkley 20 miles north of Detroit, work downtown Detroit, leave the house at 6:20am, move along I-75 pretty steady at 75mph or more. Same on the way home taking the Lodge Freeway. I did a search on "mileage" under the STS forum and got some interesting feedback.

Any tips on the other questions about the options?

MARKVIII
09-18-07, 11:40 AM
i was getting around 20 mpg..now i notice it has slipped to 19.2 MPG..my travel is 60% highway and 40% around town. i am looking for ways to increase my gas mileage.

ncCADDYman
09-18-07, 11:53 AM
living up north you might want to consider AWD, but really with a car of this size and built in stability control measures, you should be fine with RWD

shudog
09-18-07, 12:02 PM
good deal on the mileage, any insight on the other questions about the option packages?

porkfarm
09-18-07, 12:07 PM
I was in the same boat. I have an all wheel drive car, but wanted to go rear wheel drive with my STS. I figured it would keep the mileage in the 20's. I drive in snow, maybe 2 - 3 times a year. I put good all seasons on and if I need to get snows for the rear, I will. Big thing for mileage is going to be the rear end size. Correct me if I am wrong, but the 1SG has the tall gears. ( I have it ) Great for get up and go, but takes the hit on the mileage. I did the brakes this weekend and it made a big change. Car coast much better and the rims are staying clean. Mileage is up to 23mpg with 60% highway 40% city and a full throttle run once or twice. My SG has 18's 9spoke with tires that can not be rotated. Yes. Get the A/C sets. Get it with everything..

shudog
09-18-07, 02:05 PM
Okay, I'm all set on the mileage to expect, and I'm not interested in getting an AWD model. If the weather is that bad that I can't get around, I don't need to be on the roads.

So is the trunk spoiler the only visual indication of 1SF & 1SG options? Are the 18" wheels only an option on the 1SG package? Do all 1SG optioned cars have 18" wheels or do some have 17" wheels?

Lots of questions I know, I just don't want to have to rely on some jackoff salesman for my info when I go to look at cars.

shudog
09-18-07, 03:01 PM
I found the following link http://media.gm.com/division/2005_prodinfo/cadillac/sts/STS.pdf online which answered pretty much all my questions.

I think I want the 1SF package and possibly the 1SG, but the 1SF would probably be plenty. I really don't need the added cost of 18" wheels & tires, premium steering gear is most likely unnoticeable, performance cooling package probably hurts mileage too with the mechanical fans.

cguthrie
09-18-07, 06:14 PM
If you really like the car, get the 1SG. More electronic toys, most that work well, than you can imagine. Terrific used car value.

Not a good car if you're concerned about gas. Had a 99sts, thought it was fast, but didn't realize it was geared taller than the 1SG. Happy suprise, the 1SG absolutely flies, but the tradeoff is that you take a hit at the pump.

I absolutely love these cars, can't say enough good things about them, except for the bluetooth and nav!

CG
2005 SG1

Caroutisine
09-18-07, 08:55 PM
Reconsider AWD.

These RWD cars are snakey in the rain and the snow.

shudog
09-18-07, 09:30 PM
I just got rid of a 2001 LS1 Camaro that put down 340 rwhp and weighed about 3450 lbs... I drove that car in all sorts of weather and I bet the rwd STS will stick to the road like a tank compared to that deathtrap. Good tires make a lot of difference too.

Caroutisine
09-19-07, 03:46 AM
Tires will make a huge improvement. I use snow tires for the STS in winter, and the car does OK.

I also had a '99 Z28, and before that a '95. I don't think the STS is any better than either of the Camaros were handling the rain and snow, a least on the stock tires.

VA Maddog
09-19-07, 08:20 AM
From what I have read you can probably expect about 1-2 mpg less with an AWD vs a RWD. Weight, friction from the AWD and the axle ratio contribute most to the difference. What really impacts mpg are your driving habits.

I have the AWD 1SG and average about 18 in mixed driving, 21-22 on mostly hwy trips and have seen as high as 24/25 on all hwy driving. If you only drive short trips around the city it can drop to 15-16. Overall I feel that these are respectable numbers for what I consider a great overall performance sedan. If getting 30+ mpg was a priority I would have bought some little toy 4 banger but that it not the driving experience that I wanted.

The AWD 1SG package does offer enhancements to the steering, active suspension, brakes and a few other options as you have researched. I agree with the other poster who suggested getting a 1SG if you can, the extra goodies are very nice and you will come to appreciate them. With the 1SG package it also better matches the vehicles performance and options to its more upscale competitors like a high line BMW, Lexus, Infinity M series, etc.

Personally I might enjoy the heads-up display, which I do not have, but my feeling on the adaptive cruise is that it can put you into potentially unsafe situations if you are not very familiar with how it works and thus what to expect from it.

You certainly want to get the Bose 5.1 system, it is awsome.

Go out and drive comparable less optioned STS's and a 1SG. You will notice a difference. The Tuscany leather, for example, IS nicer to the touch and gives you full leather as opposed to just leather seating surfaces. If you enjoy that new car leather smell, the Tuscany option will provide it for a long time. The cooled seats are also very nice. One of the things that I have never liked about leather seats is that I tend to sweat on them in the summer, these are great and make most drives even on the warmest days very comfortable.

I like my car more and more each week. I continually get positive comments about it (Blue Chip with the tan interior) and it is a head turner. When you are stopped in traffic you will get a lot of admiring looks from other drivers which is pretty cool.

If I were to buy another it would be the AWD with the 1SG package. With 06's and 07's some of the 1SG content became an option; Sunroof, Tuscany leather - so you have to be more careful about the options list for 06's and 07's. Getting one of these off a two or three year lease can be a tremendous value. Good luck shopping.

shudog
09-19-07, 11:14 AM
Great feedback Maddog, exactly what I was looking for!

malcolm
09-19-07, 04:00 PM
RWD is a major problem in this car even on wet roads. I am considering bailing out early on my lease, I know it's going to cost me, but I don't want to go into another NJ winter in a sled. Oh how I miss FWD. Most will tell you snow tires on all 4 corners will solve the problem but I haven't fooled around with snow tires in 25 years and don't want to start now. No more RWD for me.

shudog
09-19-07, 08:30 PM
well I don't want this thread to turn into awd vs rwd, I'll just have to see what's out there. Everyone has their opinions and different driving experiences. Personally, every car I've ever owned has been V8 & rwd so it doesn't really bother me.

ELROY
09-20-07, 07:31 AM
Hi,
I may be able to help you out on some of your questions. I am 52 years old and have a 2005 STS fully loaded with the 1SG package, all wheel drive, heads up display and acc. The car handles very well. I have talked with other STS owners with the northstar engine and they have told me that in wet weather the car can get a little loose at times. I have not had this problem, my car handles well in wet weather or in the snow....must be the all wheel drive. I'm not looking to do a burn-out in my Caddy, but I do love a car that handles well. I average anywhere from 17.5 to 23 miles to the gallon on fuel. Most of my driving is done on the road. The mileage reflects normal driving for me. If I decide to put my foot in it, as I sometimes do, the numbers will drop. The cooled seats are a great. During the summer when the car is parked outside in the sun, I can remotely start it up and the seats will cool down as well as the rest of the inside of the car so that when I get in and start to drive the leather is not frying my rear end. Over all, there is nothing bad that I can say about the car. My wife calls it my "mechanical mistress", but that's another story.
Hope my comments helped.

Elroy

shudog
09-20-07, 08:30 AM
Thanks Elroy. I was browsing the used cars online last night between cars.com and autotrader.com... did a search of cars with less than 40K miles, and V8 and a good selection came up, ranging from high 20's to low 30's. Of course the dealer descriptions all say "loaded" but now that I know what options to look for, I can tell which vehicles have the 18" wheels, magnetic ride suspenion, upgraded leather & wood trim, Bose 5.1, in dash DVD nav. Does the wooden steering wheel indicate the same option package which includes the tuscany leather? Is there any way to tell from a picture of the interior whether or not the car has the cooled seats?

ELROY
09-25-07, 09:26 AM
Hi,
If you look at the controll panel for the heat and a/c to your left you will see two graphics of seats. The bottom seat will have wavey lines indicating heated seats. The top graphic will have a picture of a fan next to the seat. The fan is for cooled seats.
Hope this helps you out.

Elroy

shudog
02-14-08, 04:51 PM
How can I tell if a used '05 model has the Performance Handling Package?

Assuming the original tires have been replaced?

I'm not aware of the RPO for this package but I know it was a $795 option. I know it included performance brake pads also and have also read about performance oriented shocks & springs.... any way to verify this when looking at a car on a dealer lot?

DS1784
02-14-08, 05:52 PM
I live in warren and own an auto repair shop in sterling heights. I just bought a 2005 sts v-6 1sc package. I had a 96 sts. I love this car. do not rule out the v-6. It runs great, doesn't have the acceleration of the v-8 but it will hold its own. My car came with the stock michelins, expensive tires, glad someone else had to pay for them. they are new. these tires are terrible in the snow. With winter almost over,I will live with these till next winter and then I will get some decent winter tires. My mileage is in the 17 to 17.5 range for straight city driving and 25 to 27 for a short 150 mile freeway drive at 75 to 80 mph. I bought my sts from rinke cadillac. I got a great deal at $21000.00 out the door, 40000 miles on the car with the 1sc package, navi,polished rims,rear parking assist, etc. I looked at gooley and suburban cadillac and they where at least 3000 to 5000 dollars more. by they way mine is also certified. I would higly recommend a certified used caddy, its the only wat to go. these are very complicated and expensive cars to repair.