: Anyone ever have a leaky oil filter?

longo
09-15-07, 08:01 PM
My 96 FWD never leaked a drop of oil until my last oil change when all of a sudden I noticed oil stains under the car. On further inspection oil was dripping down the side of the Fram oil filter I had installed on last oil change. Tried tightening it and it still leaked so I took it off and cleaned up the gasket and retorqued. Its better but still looks like slight seepage. I will never buy another Fram filter as long as I live.

rlyons
09-15-07, 11:49 PM
I have had one or two leak but I stopped using fram a while back due to the silicone used inside them. It can and does sometimes come loose and get into the oil passages. It happens most on diesels and other high flow engines but can happen to any. I use wix or fleetguard on my trucks and mobile one or A/C on my cars.

Wheelman322
09-15-07, 11:59 PM
I have had one or two leak but I stopped using fram a while back due to the silicone used inside them. It can and does sometimes come loose and get into the oil passages. It happens most on diesels and other high flow engines but can happen to any. I use wix or fleetguard on my trucks and mobile one or A/C on my cars.

Wow...I never heard that about Fram before. I remember when I used to use Fram exclusively. I've been using the Purolater Pure one for the past few years due to good reviews and mechanic feedback.

deVille33
09-16-07, 12:13 AM
Yes, but it has been a few years though. There was a period in the early eighties when Fram had quite a few failures through my shop. Sometimes the seals wouldn't seat properly and then we had one that the threads stripped out. After they got bought out by Allied they must have improved cause we didn't have trouble after that.

z06bigbird
09-16-07, 07:51 PM
Check for two gaskets.

longo
09-16-07, 09:47 PM
Well, upon further inspection Ive found its not the oil filter thats leaking. Its the plate that includes the threaded shaft the oil filter screws to. Its got two allen head bolts that attach it to block. One on each side of plate. Appears to be a hairline crack running from edge of plate to inside bolt. Hope the plate is replaceable. Otherwise crack will have to be fixed. Must have just happened when I tightened oil filter last time cause there was no leak before I changed my oil. Hard to believe I could torque the filter so tight as to cause that crack.

longo
09-17-07, 12:13 AM
I guess the part thats cracked is called the oil bypass filter mounting plate. Anyone ever have one crack? I see they make adapters that replace this part and dont allow unfiltered oil back into engine. Anyone ever use one of these? http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/adapters/chevy_bypass_eliminators.html