: Update Navigation CD's

STSchuneman
09-15-07, 12:04 PM
If GM doesn't feel it is economically feasible to provide updates for the CD based version of the Navigation System (mine is a 2000 STS) then why don't you let someone provide an after market version?

Steve Schuneman

dkozloski
09-15-07, 06:35 PM
If GM doesn't feel it is economically feasible to provide updates for the CD based version of the Navigation System (mine is a 2000 STS) then why don't you let someone provide an after market version?

Steve Schuneman
I'm betting that if the full cost of providing a comparable product of the same detail were known, no aftermarket company would want to touch it with a ten foot pole. The labor costs of compiling the POI data must be staggering. If all anybody wants is accurate, updated map data it's a different story. Once the code was written to convert some other GPS makers data to a format suitable for the Caddy NAV it'd be duck soup.
Another fly in the ointment is that it now takes two DVD disks to hold the current data. This means it takes a bucket full of CD's to hold the same thing; 10+ disks.

cadillacricket
12-19-07, 02:02 PM
If selling the Nav system is really that costly maybe they should reconsider what type of Nav system they use.. Don't other companies that make GPS nav systems (Garmin, Tom-Tom, etc..) compile the same data?