: 08 Interior Observations from an 06 Owner

c5 rv
09-14-07, 08:51 PM
My 06 is in the dealer for some warranty work and Capitol Cadillac (Enterprise) gave me an 08 SRX for a loaner. This was a pretty base unit. I think AWD was the only option (no heated seats, no 3rd seat / storage unit). Observations:

- The sunglass storage compartments in the door were gone, but the "secret" dash storage met the need.

- I had to get used to the moved DIC and controls. No problem, just different.

- I liked the new basic radio with the FAV feature - able to set 12(?) pushbuttons on any band - AM, FM, or XM without having to change the band. Overall, the radio controls were more intuitive.

- Interesting to have a digital clock on the radio right under the analog clock on the dash. They matched. Does anyone know if they are linked somehow so they both read the same time (unlike 03s)?

- I liked the look and feel of the dash and stitching. Definitely a big improvement.

- I like the black chrome on the top of the shifter gate v. the bright reflections from the bright chrome on my 06. (I see that the 07 CTS I have today has the same black.)

- The steering wheel controls were OK, but the feel of the wheel was awful. It felt like something synthetic, not leather.

- I liked the gauges at night, but during the day the red needles were hard to see with my polarized sunglasses.

- The dashboard binnacle shade blocked the tops of the tach and speedo. (I am tall and sit very upright.)

- The side vents and dash trim had a nickle finish. (Did the 07 have chrome?) There was a bit of reflection in the side mirrors / windows, but it didn't seem too bad. Then again, I wore polarized sunglasses.

Today, my SRX was still waiting on parts, so I was going to keep the 08 for the weekend. I noticed that the left front tire was low last night (27 PSI) so I aired it up at home. I left the office this afternoon to go to a meeting and the dash beeped a tire pressure warning - LF was down to 25 PSI. I went back to the dealer and swapped the SRX for an 07 CTS.

The CTS is an old friend - I had an 04. One thing I noticed right away - it still has the volume wheel on the steering wheel. I've always liked that feature. But, being a base unit, it has the 2.8 engine which is a dog.

Don73
09-15-07, 12:38 PM
Is that a 82 Corvette your avatar? Good looking vette.

c5 rv
09-15-07, 06:22 PM
Is that a 82 Corvette your avatar? Good looking vette.

Thanks. It's a mostly stock 81 with a bit over 29K miles.

TSS
09-16-07, 11:24 AM
- Interesting to have a digital clock on the radio right under the analog clock on the dash. They matched. Does anyone know if they are linked somehow so they both read the same time (unlike 03s)?

I know my 07 Escalade and various 06/07 DTSs I have driven in are not "linked". That is actually a pet-peeve of mine, as I can't stand having two clocks in the same vehicle that show even slightly different times.

P.S in my case, the digital is more accurate...surprise surprise.. The analog loses about 5 minutes a week - will need to get it replaced next trip to the dealer.