: Fleetwood won't start!

arnauts
09-14-07, 09:23 PM
Yesterday after a couple days of squealing, my alternator belt on my 1980 Fleetwood snapped, and got shot out onto the road somewhere, I didn't care a lot at the time, because I was late for work. Later on, after work, I went to start the car and it made a series of loud popping noises when I started it. I drove down to the parts store and picked up a new alternator belt, installed it, and then went to start the car. Nothing.

Assuming it was just a dead battery, I tried to jump it, and let it charge for a couple minutes. I tried to start it then, and nothing, just dimmed lights. So I had a friend of mine come down and we tried another battery, but still nothing but a dull hum when I went to start it.

So I got a tow truck back home, (which cost me $85) and it is sitting in my driveway. I assume that it's probably the starter motor, but am not sure.

Any ideas? This is stressful not having a car!
Jared

CaddyshackCadillac
09-14-07, 09:58 PM
smack the starter a few times with a hammer if she starts then you know its your starter

arnauts
09-14-07, 10:04 PM
Nope, I tried that along with the new battery, didn't seem to help.

Benzilla
09-14-07, 10:28 PM
Are you sure that the alternator belt doesn't also drive the water pump, in which case it wouldn't run, therefor frying the engine to the point if seizing? Just a thought.

Which car was this anyway?

arnauts
09-14-07, 10:32 PM
No, the alternator belt is driven by the waterpump, which is driven by the crank. It's completely independant of the pump's rotation. I didn't get any warning lights, and the car was only driven 3 or 4 miles to work, tops.

Benzilla
09-16-07, 04:18 PM
lol, just messing with you.

But really, please specify which car it was :)

jayoldschool
09-16-07, 05:30 PM
Very lucky. Old SB Chevys have waterpumps on the same belt as the alternator. No alternator belt: no cooling!

Have you tried to turn the balancer to see if the engine is seized?

z06bigbird
09-16-07, 08:39 PM
Check for corrosion inside of the batt cables.

arnauts
09-16-07, 09:08 PM
It was the starter, what a pain in the ass that was to unbolt ;)