: Converter Size

D'Elegance
09-13-07, 08:27 PM
Im trying to find out what size the converter is on my car without actually cutting it off. I have a 93 STS and the converter is rattling rediculously and needs replacing, so im just gonna get a nice high flow one but im not sure what size. I think it might be a 2.5in does anyone know for sure?

Submariner409
09-13-07, 10:36 PM
Dollars to doughnuts the OEM ID and OD are somewhat more or less than standard 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 specs. Take the car to a good aftermarket exhaust shop, pay the extra labor for welding and O2 sensor hookup, and don't sweat the small stuff........or you can lie under the car and try to calculate pipe diameter by measuring either circumference with a tape or OD with a caliper.

fubar569
09-14-07, 11:45 AM
Dollars to doughnuts the OEM ID and OD are somewhat more or less than standard 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 specs. Take the car to a good aftermarket exhaust shop, pay the extra labor for welding and O2 sensor hookup, and don't sweat the small stuff........or you can lie under the car and try to calculate pipe diameter by measuring either circumference with a tape or OD with a caliper.

i used a caliper and it does vary. very front where the front joins the rear bank is 3", shoots down to 2.75", then down to 2.5" off the back of the cat...this is on my 97 deville BTW - mine now is a consistent dual 2.5" off the back of the stock cat all the way out the tips with eventual plans to make it Duals with a X pipe...

i'd have to agree with sub though...unless you are proficient at cutting and rewelding exhaust tubing on your own...i would take it to an exhaust shop with your new cat in hand, and tell them to make it work...

NOTE: a full length exhaust for my car wasnt going to be more than 300 bucks from a local shop (all labor included) - for cat replacement only you might find that having a shop do this to be the best option when cost is considered vs time since you are only replacing a small section of the actual exhaust...

ALSO: check all heatshields while it's on a lift, and anything else obvious that can rattle...

codewize
09-14-07, 11:49 AM
Ohhh that kind of converter.

D'Elegance
09-18-07, 02:02 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. My best friends dad owns a shop so i decided im just gonna by the converter and have him weld it in for me. Im just gonna get a nice high flow universal cat from like autozone. as long as i can pass emissions.