: will a 1968-69 turbo 400 trans fit in my 1978 CDV?

BigPoppaD
09-13-07, 10:43 AM
Sorry if it seems like a silly question, I'm scrambling to get my car running and I got an oppurtunity to get a 472 engine/trans combo. I just need the trans, but the engine would be a bonus

jayoldschool
09-13-07, 12:49 PM
Should be fine. When you get the trans out of the 78, compare the overall length with the early one. You may need to swap the tailshafts to get the early one in your car.

305Caddy
09-13-07, 07:17 PM
it will fit you may need a custom drive shaft though, compared to buying a new stock drive shaft there not to expensive and usally there balenced and lighter than a stock one is

The Ape Man
09-13-07, 08:56 PM
The older transmission is much longer. Better off finding a short tail B.O.P. Buke Olds Pontiac TH-400. If you really want to use an old trans you can either take it apart and swap tailhousing and shafts or customize the driveshaft. Both of those options are a pain unless you are in Cuba and cannot find the right transmission.

deVille33
09-14-07, 11:26 PM
If that trans has the original case, it's a total bonus, as that case is the heavy duty case with reinforced webbing in it.

jayoldschool
09-15-07, 12:08 AM
It is easy to swap tailshafts. If you can swap a trans, you can swap a tail.

deVille33
09-15-07, 12:33 AM
Should be fine. When you get the trans out of the 78, compare the overall length with the early one. You may need to swap the tailshafts to get the early one in your car.

Isn't the earlier main shaft longer?

The Ape Man
09-15-07, 10:36 AM
It is easy to swap tailshafts. If you can swap a trans, you can swap a tail.

http://www.pontiaczone.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-13996.htm

jayoldschool
09-15-07, 11:24 AM
lol... I stand corrected. Too many years of dealing with OD transmissions! Personally, I would have no problem doing the mainshaft, as well, but I will admit that tearing into an auto is intimidating...

I guess the consensus is to find the correct length trans. I think that any 77-up 400 will work, but you can check the Hollander interchange at a yard. Also, car-part.com will help you figure out other models that will work.

deVille33
09-17-07, 10:32 PM
I know you can go back to '73 as long as it doesn't come out of a full bodied car. The pontiacs lemans coupes with the 400 - 455 engines and the GP's had them, but they had a larger pressure spring so the shifts would be tighter.

BigPoppaD
09-18-07, 08:20 PM
well, that combo got sold, how about something like this? I want something relatively painless or I would just get the existing trans rebuilt. I'm not going to lie, I have friends ready to help, just not enough knowledge about these mechanicals, so it's research research research.

thanks for the help!

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/424185671.html