: My 9/11 sts car accident

cocaines
09-13-07, 04:41 AM
Tuesday while leaving school my tires were still wet from the earlier rain. i decided to take the highway home instead of the main roads. so when i was leaving the parking lot street i had to make a left turn because the highway entrance was right infront of the school but in the right lane. there was one car infront of me at the light. we had the advance green light to make the turn, the car infront of me made the left turn into the middle lane due to the fact he was also entering the highway which was right there on the very rigt lane. so i followed suit, not realising that a student disobey the crossing signal and started to cross the street. when the first car turned the student was in the very right lane and by the time i was turning he just entering the middle lane which i was also turning into, so last minute i had to apply the brake and make a sharper turn into the very left lane to avoid hitting the student... next thing i know, my car was spinning out of control and i slammed into the concrete divider. it actually ended up sittin on the divider after doing a 540 spin.

the first thing i did was roll up all the windows, made sure i didnt hit that stupid student and then put my head down in shame... to add insult to injury it was infront of my entire college, all the student ran to see the crash. and the firefighters from the firestation across the street ran out to rescue me. even though i was fine it still embarrassed me more and bruised my ego. and also my car was proclaimed the best domestic of my class.

the damage that was done, was my rear right rim shattered in peices, my newly installed EGX ground effects kit shattered, my front left rim cracked, the front of the ground effects scratched, the roof buckled, and my right suspension broken... thats all the visual damage that i seen. i am still waitin to hear from my dealer about the actual damage and the cost.

here are a few pics

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v123/196/26/227302318/n227302318_1148209_4158.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v123/196/26/227302318/n227302318_1148210_4531.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v123/196/26/227302318/n227302318_1148211_4852.jpg

The thing that upset me, the student that i almost hit, didnt even think to come check to see if i was alright.. and since i am only 20 years old, i cant even get a rental for the month my car is in the shop.

sikohsix
09-13-07, 10:16 AM
Hey man, so sorry to see that. Nobody hurt, right? Thats more important than anything. From the way it sounds, seems like things coulda been much worse. The cosmetic things can be fixed very easily. Just be careful of who you get to work on the suspension. Since you're saying the roof buckled, The structural integrity could be compromised. My CTS just got bashed a few weeks ago and it took $7500 to get it back together. So I know of where I speak. Good luck and keep yr chin up, man.

jvizzy22
09-13-07, 12:57 PM
i dont know if its just me but i cant see your pictures they arent shwoing up in the window

dkozloski
09-13-07, 01:43 PM
Young guys and a powerful, flashy car make a volatile mixture.

MARKVIII
09-13-07, 03:04 PM
Binky your all heart.

dkozloski
09-13-07, 03:25 PM
Binky your all heart.
I was young once myself and can read between the lines pretty good on these deals. You dont do a 540 spin when you're idling away from an intersection. In fact you're hard pressed to do that getting out of the pits in a NASCAR race. Maybe down the back stretch at Talladega. Youthful exuberance can produce some startling shows.

dhemrick
09-13-07, 04:09 PM
My sympathies. But, I agree with dkozloski... youth and exuberance combined with a fast car like the STS is a bad combination. I would have done the same thing at your age (and did but that's a different story).

I am particularly amazed that you were able to do this in a car that has one of the best stability control programs out there. I have an STS-V that has even more power than the STS, and it is still difficult even with the V's power to get the car out of control unless you turn off traction control.

dkozloski
09-13-07, 04:24 PM
I guess I'm an old wuss. The most I've ever done is a 360 spin on glare ice with my Buick on one end of a tow chain and my buddy in his Pontiac on the other end in the middle of Airport Road. The difference is that that we didn't hit anything. The similarity was the lack of judgement and the excess of youthful adventure. It was exciting.

cocaines
09-13-07, 04:53 PM
even though you all may think it was because i am young and i tried to do something with the car that i shouldn't, that was the case. everyone said i wasnt going fast when iwas making the turn. the fire fighters and tow truck driver who saw the whole thing said that it was because of the wet performance only tires on the wet concrete and the fact that i tried to make the turn sharper last minute, caused the car to spin out. he did say that my inexperience of how to handle a spinout made it worst. he said if i was experienced in situation like this i could of just spun down the street, but since i was trying to stop and turn out of the spin i slammed into the concrete instead. and they said it was better me hit the concrete divider than hit the student. or even go right over the concrete divider and hit all the idle cars on the opposite side of the street.

if you look at the picture my car ended up right beside the turnin lane on the oposite side of the street and when the accident happened there was an old lady waiting to turn, by her reaction she looked like she tryin to drive through the red light so i wouldnt hit her.

dkozloski
09-13-07, 05:11 PM
even though you all may think it was because i am young and i tried to do something with the car that i shouldn't, that was the case. everyone said i wasnt going fast when iwas making the turn. the fire fighters and tow truck driver who saw the whole thing said that it was because of the wet performance only tires on the wet concrete and the fact that i tried to make the turn sharper last minute, caused the car to spin out. he did say that my inexperience of how to handle a spinout made it worst. he said if i was experienced in situation like this i could of just spun down the street, but since i was trying to stop and turn out of the spin i slammed into the concrete instead. and they said it was better me hit the concrete divider than hit the student. or even go right over the concrete divider and hit all the idle cars on the opposite side of the street.

if you look at the picture my car ended up right beside the turnin lane on the oposite side of the street and when the accident happened there was an old lady waiting to turn, by her reaction she looked like she tryin to drive through the red light so i wouldnt hit her.
Life sometimes comes at you fast. Or so the ads say on TV.

Playdrv4me
09-13-07, 05:14 PM
How in tarnation did the roof buckle? That sucks because you avoided ANY body panel damage at all otherwise, but if the roof is buckled that is a little trickier.

dkozloski
09-13-07, 05:19 PM
How in tarnation did the roof buckle? That sucks because you avoided ANY body panel damage at all otherwise, but if the roof is buckled that is a little trickier.
In the aircraft world we called that mild... all over.

Bee iLL
09-13-07, 06:09 PM
Wow, a whole 540? Are you getting your degree's right? Maybe a 180? I know I almost did a 180 when it just finished raining outside, turning left, but was able to pull out of it. I had just gotten my V, and didn't realize how bad the traction sucked in the rain. Luckily I'm use to driving in slippery conditions, seeing as here around Chicago (except for some of the suburbs, but those are spotty) the salt and plow crews don't seem to do too good of a job, or are no where to be seen most of the time. It can cause some pretty dangerous driving conditions and have had to learn the hard way how to pull out of a spin on a few occasions. Though, you do live in Canada... doesn't it snow up there a lot? Anyways, if it was a 540 you really did (not saying you are lying), that is freaking amazing, as I just can't even imagine an STS doing a 360!

cocaines
09-14-07, 02:50 AM
it was a a full 540, i spun around fully once doing a 360 and then i spun again and ended up facing the opposite direction. the reason i spun so much is because as soon as the car lost control, i attempted to regain control and might of made it worst, or so the firefighters said. all i know is i tried to turn away from oncoming traffic and ended up turning into them. i did a 180 spinout earlier in the year in the snow. but for the last couple years weather in toronto hasnt been bad, it hardly snows, compared to new york in terms of last year.

Crown Vic Owner
09-14-07, 05:33 AM
I hope they total it out for ya man.

Lifer
09-14-07, 10:09 AM
When you get the car back (IF?) wait for a snow covered day and head out to a big, empty, snow-covered parking lot and practice loosing control in the snow. This only works in rear-wheel drive machines. Kill the stab control, get moving straight ahead, get to a good speed, around 30 MPH, and whip the wheel to the left while under power. Whip to the right, and whip again. What you will experience is the feeling and soon the ability to straighten the car from the slide, all while the gas pedal is down. It may take a few times, and it is fun, but finally, you while have some new "driften' skills that will keep you out of trouble in the future.

Note to Blinkity Bear - I can do this in an M1 tank too.

dkozloski
09-14-07, 10:15 AM
When you get the car back (IF?) wait for a snow covered day and head out to a big, empty, snow-covered parking lot and practice loosing control in the snow. This only works in rear-wheel drive machines. Kill the stab control, get moving straight ahead, get to a good speed, around 30 MPH, and whip the wheel to the left while under power. Whip to the right, and whip again. What you will experience is the feeling and soon the ability to straighten the car from the slide, all while the gas pedal is down. It may take a few times, and it is fun, but finally, you while have some new "driften' skills that will keep you out of trouble in the future.

I've done my share of driving down the highway looking out the rear window to see what's ahead.
In Fairbanks, the first thing every winter, the emergency services organisations flood a large parking lot and make a huge ice skid pad to train the firetruck and meat wagon drivers. It's quite a sight to see a ladder truck going around and around.

jjsocrazy
09-14-07, 12:04 PM
I feel you man, I'm 18 and drive an STS and would be horrified if that happened to me, especially the idiots in my college who drive fast through the garage and out of the campus. Good Luck with everything!

Lifer
09-14-07, 03:07 PM
I feel you man, I'm 18 and drive an STS and would be horrified if that happened to me, especially the idiots in my college who drive fast through the garage and out of the campus. Good Luck with everything!

Something is wrong. When I was 18 years of age I bought my first Cadillac, a complete car with all options - LaSalle 3-speed box, underseat heater, a radio (AM ) and a real clock that quit working long before I bought it. I used the money I got from my job at the Sinclair station where I pumped gas, washed windshields, checked the oil, lubed cars, changed tires, and did brake jobs. That blue beast of about 5,000 lbs from 1941 cost me $100 plus tax and title, and $7.00 for plates. I even had enough to put in 8 new plugs (10mm), a new generator (6 volt), and seat covers (J.C. Whitney specials). I do remember that the 16" tires were pretty good, but could not do burnouts (DUH).

How does an 18 year old today end up with a $60,000 auto (less discounts, rebates, sales specials, and year end clearance to about $40,000)???? Where do you get the bread for repairs? The tires alone will set you back $1,000.

I AM so JEALOUS! :annoyed:

cocaines
09-14-07, 05:20 PM
well in my case i got the money for my ride from my company, i am self employed/partnered with my older brother and we make enough for my to splurg on my first car ever. it was between and sts and dodge charger. i took the sts because it looked more classier. but honestly because my age alot of dealers didnt want to give me financing even that i had great credit. i ended up putting aboout $11,000 cash in order to get it. i also add 11 grand into modification(rims, body kit, grill, paint job etc..)
i just work hard for my money and i make sure i have just as much fun with it.

cocaines
09-14-07, 05:26 PM

i honestly dont know if i trust myself doing all that. i think i might just get a winter beater, or throw on some snow shoes on it for the winter, and only drive when the roads are plowed. i am not lookin to spin out again, whether it is controlled or not.

soupero
09-15-07, 08:34 AM
Damn that sucks, tho I must say your ride looks sweet (1st pic) !!

bhoppes
09-15-07, 02:29 PM
well in my case i got the money for my ride from my company, i am self employed/partnered with my older brother and we make enough for my to splurg on my first car ever. it was between and sts and dodge charger. i took the sts because it looked more classier. but honestly because my age alot of dealers didnt want to give me financing even that i had great credit. i ended up putting aboout $11,000 cash in order to get it. i also add 11 grand into modification(rims, body kit, grill, paint job etc..)
i just work hard for my money and i make sure i have just as much fun with it.

I drive a 2003 Cadillac SLS and I am only 21 years old and people are always asking me how I afford a 2003 Cadillac. I have 3 jobs, live with my parents, and don't spend my money on anything. I don't go clothes shopping, I don't drink alcohol, and I don't waste my money. I make sure I put enough money away each week until I save up for something that I might want (hence the Cadillac being paid with cash.) I go to a community college, which is inexpensive education. I am now saving up for a downpayment on a house in the near future. I don't waste money on gas because I walk to work everyday and I car pool to school. So really it is not that hard to save up for something that you want, you just can't spend money on the stuff you don't need.

Buzz48317
09-15-07, 03:46 PM
I drive a 2003 Cadillac SLS and I am only 21 years old and people are always asking me how I afford a 2003 Cadillac. I have 3 jobs, live with my parents, and don't spend my money on anything. I don't go clothes shopping, I don't drink alcohol, and I don't waste my money. I make sure I put enough money away each week until I save up for something that I might want (hence the Cadillac being paid with cash.) I go to a community college, which is inexpensive education. I am now saving up for a downpayment on a house in the near future. I don't waste money on gas because I walk to work everyday and I car pool to school. So really it is not that hard to save up for something that you want, you just can't spend money on the stuff you don't need.

Not bustin on your 2003 SLS Bh, but the new STS is a different and much more expensive beastie. You should be able to get a decent mileage SLS in the $12,000-$16,000 range. Whereas the 2005 or newer STS gonna set you back an awful lot more. Congrats on the discipline, I wish I had your willpower when I was your age I would have a lot more money...although I probably would have blown it all at Cauley Ferrari years ago anyhow. :)

As far as the accident goes, I have to agree with some of the other posters here. I feel that the speed of the car is being greatly under-exagerated. I have spun before and tend to agree that to get the back end around twice you were either powering through the spin or going a lot faster than you are saying. This is why we carry full coverage insurance...you never know when your ego is gonna write a check that your driving abilities are unable to cash.

cocaines
09-15-07, 05:00 PM
well the car was going under 35km/h before it spun out, the most would be 40km/h. i have full coverage insurance, but at the time of the accident it only looked like i just damaged my rims and body kit, which i was planning on payin out of pocket. not until the toy truck driver put the car on the flat bed did i know that the suspension might of been damaged. by that time it was too late to call the cops and insurance company. since it was almost 2 hours later.

CadillacSTS42005
09-15-07, 05:58 PM
you can call ur insurance co at any time to report an accident....

cocaines
09-15-07, 06:43 PM
seriously.. everyone said i need a police report fo the accident, and it now 4 days later. can i still call them. will i be penalized for the late notification?

dkozloski
09-15-07, 07:03 PM
seriously.. everyone said i need a police report fo the accident, and it now 4 days later. can i still call them. will i be penalized for the late notification?
They can kill you but they can't eat you. Seriously, the longer you wait the worse it's going to get. Tell them just the way you're telling us. The truth won't hurt you nearly as much as getting caught in a lie.

Blake
09-15-07, 09:03 PM

Tell the cops the same story you told above and your not going to be helping yourself. I read...and no offense here...20 year old, modified late model cadillac, unsafe whether conditions, school zone, and pedestrians (in your way).

Sorry to hear about your Car, but it'll pass..get the car fixed or get rid of it and thank god you or anyone else isn't dead!

z06bigbird
09-15-07, 09:54 PM
Sorry if I am stealing the thread, but you gotta hear this:
George (fictitious owner) took his newly acquired 2002 Z06 to work. It had 12,000 miles on it; he bought it dirt cheap; and he had it only about 13 days.
A co-worker let George drive the co-worker's Porsche recently.
Co-worker now wants to try out the Vette. George is embarrassed to refuse.
Co-worker wraps Z around pole at 50 mph.
George was supposed to send GEICO pictures of new car within 5 days (NY ins requirement).
George failed to do so.
Geico declines insurance coverage.
Co-worker turns into a douche bag and refuses to do anything.

Sad to say the least. Co-worker needs to man up.

jjsocrazy
09-16-07, 12:39 AM
Something is wrong. When I was 18 years of age I bought my first Cadillac, a complete car with all options - LaSalle 3-speed box, underseat heater, a radio (AM ) and a real clock that quit working long before I bought it. I used the money I got from my job at the Sinclair station where I pumped gas, washed windshields, checked the oil, lubed cars, changed tires, and did brake jobs. That blue beast of about 5,000 lbs from 1941 cost me $100 plus tax and title, and $7.00 for plates. I even had enough to put in 8 new plugs (10mm), a new generator (6 volt), and seat covers (J.C. Whitney specials). I do remember that the 16" tires were pretty good, but could not do burnouts (DUH).

How does an 18 year old today end up with a $60,000 auto (less discounts, rebates, sales specials, and year end clearance to about $40,000)???? Where do you get the bread for repairs? The tires alone will set you back $1,000.

I AM so JEALOUS! :annoyed:

Well the first thing is that my father is a salesmanager for Cadillac. Second I have been around Cadillac's my whole life and was obsessed with the STS and especially he wanted me to have AWD so I got it for a college gift so to say. Lol,

I am pretty luck, sorry your jealous, lol.

CadillacSTS42005
09-16-07, 10:13 PM
egh its a v6...
im not jealous ahahaha

jhelms
09-17-07, 12:05 PM
it was a a full 540, i spun around fully once doing a 360 and then i spun again and ended up facing the opposite direction. the reason i spun so much is because as soon as the car lost control, i attempted to regain control and might of made it worst, or so the firefighters said.

I'm a little confused on this one also. By "attempted to regain control" do you mean "made sure TCS was off and continued to floor the gas pedal until hitting the concrete divider"?

Because I'm with the others, I'm not seeing a V6 STS (was TCS on / off?) spinning into a 540 leaving an intersection. Heck, even going 30kph or 40 kph 'tops' as you mentioned.

Also, why did the firefighters not radio the accident in? I would that that would be a given.

In your other post, you said:
well in my 05 V6 i got up 210km/h which is 130.494 mph but i was force to slow down because i was running out of straight road. i would try to go faster another time but in ontario, canada. they have increased the fines and penalties for "street racing" or the new term they came up with "aggressive driving" can cause you to lose your license for 10 years and/or crush your car. for any caught going 50km/h over the posted speed limit.

Do they really crush your car? Geez, in that case, reporting an accident a few days late might get you a caning! j/k

Could they interpret a 540 degree spin leaving an intersection as aggressive driving?

jjsocrazy
09-18-07, 10:13 AM
egh its a v6...
im not jealous ahahaha

lol, I am jealous of your V though, although I am getting the grill and spoiler!

muahhahahaha!

cocaines
09-19-07, 03:24 AM
well i figured they would of called the police, but none showed and i was almost there for 1 and a half hours. in terms of crushing cars for aggressive driving yeah it's happened before but that the extreme case, its mostly given to those people who soupe up thier rides for street racing. there been alot of deaths and accident from street racing in the last decade. if the police came they would of charged me for careless driving and give me a 300-500 dollar ticket. plus i might of goten charged for the damaged done to the concrete divider.

the T/C was turned on, and when i started to spin, all i did was try to steer out of it, but i was still unsure if i was turnin out of it or in it. to be honest it all happened kind of fast.

Drparj
09-19-07, 05:43 AM
Hey I was that young and still tell stories about how things happened. No officer I was not trying to do a burnout, or spin out while leaving.:shhh::cool2:

FaSTSCadillac
10-01-07, 09:57 AM
I too have a campus wreck story. Leaving class some idiot recently spun out and hit me after a rain. Car was in shop for over a month and then when I go to pick it up they replaced the two front rims with chrome ones. Funny thing is I've got polished aluminum. The guy who hit me had Geico insurance which was horrible to deal with, good thing I had State Farm. Anyways I think I'm just gonna get a beater to drive to school from now on.

cocaines
10-01-07, 08:50 PM
how much did that cost to fix. was it a head on hit

FaSTSCadillac
10-03-07, 11:22 AM
I just picked it up from the shop last week, It cost almost 14,000. Geico gave me an estimate of 5,000 those bastards:rant2:. The guy slid out and his rear driver side smashed my front drivers side and pushed my front passenger side into the guard rail.

FaSTSCadillac
10-03-07, 11:24 AM
Has anyone here tried to get a diminished value claim filed before. That is what Im dealing with now, and I'm not sure the steps I need to take. I called the rep from Geico and he copped a little attitude and said that he will mail me a letter. Any suggestions would be appreciated if anyone has had this trouble.

hueterm
10-11-07, 12:32 AM
egh its a v6...
im not jealous ahahaha

:histeric::highfive::stirpot: