: Looking for a factory cd player for a 91 Brougham d'Elegance?

BroughamD'EL
09-13-07, 12:40 AM
Ok I'm new to the forum & wasn't sure where to post this, but basically I had circuit city in stall my jvc (which worked fine in my 88 brougham) but is giving me all kind of electrical problems in this car, I took it back to them today & they reinstalled it & it's sill doing the same thing. So I figured it would be better to just go with the factory one.

caddycruiser
09-13-07, 01:39 AM
True, but at this point, how much wiring in the car have they also hacked up? If it's anything, then maybe going back to a stock unit isn't going to solve anything.

I think all you might have needed was this harness alone:

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=70-1856

These cars are made with the real radio/tuner in the trunk, and the unit in the dash is kind of a remote control. So when you do an aftermarket head unit, the wiring has to go back to the trunk. With this harness then, you just bypass that tuner, like it says, plug in the trunk plug to this harness and the other end to your new head unit, and VOILA, new working head unit and OEM chimes, lights, sound, etc.

Here's a good thread I started on another forum about this, with details:
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=177969&highlight=head+unit

Basically just your new head unit, the Metra harness, then connect it and the short harness on your new head unit, route it all through the car, plug in, and you're done.

The problem is, very few "chain" places like Circuit City, etc. know squat about these cars, let alone that a very simple Metra harness exists for plug & play work, and end up just getting in and hacking up stuff--like what hopefully might not have happened with your car, but who knows.

BroughamD'EL
09-13-07, 03:10 AM
Damn I didn't know that & they did cut some wires & installed a new harness, if I knew that was all I needed I would have done it myself.

90Brougham350
09-13-07, 03:42 PM
As for the thread title, good luck finding a CD for a 90-92. They were only purchased on about 1% of Broughams for all 3 years. You can find them on eBay, but be prepared to pay a pretty penny.

My_favorite_Brougham
09-13-07, 04:29 PM
These cars are made with the real radio/tuner in the trunk, and the unit in the dash is kind of a remote control. So when you do an aftermarket head unit, the wiring has to go back to the trunk. With this harness then, you just bypass that tuner, like it says, plug in the trunk plug to this harness and the other end to your new head unit, and VOILA, new working head unit and OEM chimes, lights, sound, etc.

Actually, Caddycruiser, they didn't move the "amplifier" to the trunk until the '93-on Broughams came out. From 90-92, the amplifier sat just behind the dash to the right of the steering wheel, behind the wood trim.

I bought a factory CD/cassette head unit on eBay for my '90 Brougham for $150.00 and it wasn't even that great. So I sold it and went with a MUCH BETTER OPTION. See what I did.

The double-din hole for the radio is a very common size and the wires are all the same on the other end of the amplifier. So I bypassed the amplifier when I installed a GM CD-player from a Buick. All GM radio wires are pretty much the same (colors-to-functions) and they're all 12-volt. So its an extremely easy fix.

Here's what you do.
Get a Buick double din radio (like mine). They are a dime-a-dozen and dirt cheap - only about $35. They also sound MUCH better than the original units. PLUS, you get CD and cassette and custom equalization.

Then get the standard wire harness for that radio. It plugs your radio into the standard plug for all gm radio systems. Then unplug your amplifier from the speaker wires and antenna, and plug them into the Buick radio. It's amplifier is built-in, there's no worry about extra wires. The power antenna even goes up and down when you turn it on and off. That's the wonder of GM radios - they're so universal!

See mine. Total investment: $40 And it sounds awesome!
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x141/Shutterbug668/00043.jpg

Good luck!

Greg

90Brougham350
09-13-07, 06:51 PM
Oh wow! That's a great idea, I like that. Right now I've got my Blaupunkt CD player in the glovebox, but it's a PITA to open the door and turn it on and off. Can you find one of your CD players on eBay and post the link so we know exactly what you're talking about?

BroughamD'EL
09-13-07, 08:04 PM
yea what year buick did that come out of?

My_favorite_Brougham
09-13-07, 08:28 PM
Tada! I just searched "buick radio cd" and this was the first to pop up. Please note the back of the radio. It has a blue rectangle plug slot. You want that one. Some others look exactly the same, but have a white thinner plug and two black prongs on the upper back instead of one on the lower back. I dont know if that one works or not, but I didn't use it, nor could find the appropriate plug.

These on eBay seem a little more expensive (they are really nice radios after all), but I got mine at a junk yard. Just hunt around - there's plenty, as Buick used it from 1996 to 2002+.

buick cd radio (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-2002-Buick-Radio-CD-CASSETTE-PLAYER-Lesabre_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38640QQihZ007QQ itemZ170147222338QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

Here's a search page full of them:
search (http://motors.search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&fcl=3&from=R10&satitle=buick&sacat=38640%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=75067&sabfmts=1&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&sabdlo=&sabdhi=&saprclo=&saprchi=&sass=&fsop=2%26fsoo%3D2&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search)

Here's the one to look for:
http://i10.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/b4/dd/1b4e_1.JPG

Here's the one to avoid:
http://i20.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/b5/f0/743e_1.JPG

Also, some models of the radios have metal brackets depending on the car. You can just fold those back with a hammer.

You wont be able to use the Cadillac Radio brackets (the plastic ones) because they wont go on the Buick radio. But the radio will just slide into the dash. Then the woodgrain frame will hold it in. Since mine wasn't screwed in, I used pieces of folded paper to fine-tune the alignment in the dash.

You may also notice that the radio seems too long. This is because it has a whole harness of plugs coming out the back, unlike the factory radio, but It should still fit. I found that by removing the felt tape on the inside border of the woodgrain frame, it freed up some space, made it more snug, and it just looked bad anyway when it would fall down.

As for the wiring it's pretty simple. Just get the plug that hooks into your car and the plug that hooks into the radio and splice the two together. The wires are labeled and color-coded, so just match them up.

You'll need this one to go in your radio:
Radio 32-pin plug (http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=71-2001)
http://www.installer.com/photos/71-2001.jpg

And this one to plug into the car. Note that you'll have to find the amp in the dash and unplug it to gain access to the real harness. It's a PITA to get to, but once you have it, it will be like Dr. Brown in Back to the Future, when he simply snaps the two wires together.
Other harness (http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=70-1858)
http://www.installer.com/photos/70-1858.jpg

Just put those two puppies together and you're ready to go! Not all of the wire will correspond to the other, because there are extras and the plug is universal. But once all 21 are one the 32-pin plug, all the features should be enabled. One thing that may not work it the auto-dim feature with the rest of lights on the dash; it didn't work for me, but that wasn't really a problem.

Get ready for some cool features and awesome sound!

Good luck!

Greg

My_favorite_Brougham
09-13-07, 08:35 PM
Oh, I forgot. You will also have to unscrew the black plastic nub on the back, and saw off the threads sticking out. That doesn't line up with the slot in the Brougham's dash.

As for the years, Buick used it for a pretty long time. I think Roadmasters had them in 1995, along with every other car in the Buick line. I think they just stopped here back in '04. So it's had time to be perfected.

You can use any radio of that size and plug. They're all plug-n-play. I didn't think about the anti-theft, though. Mine was disabled before I got it. I was thinking of the radio from an Escalade at the time, but it was too expensive.

Also, don't get the "Monsoon" version of the Buick radio (says it on the tape door). I think it's like the Bose in the old Eldos, or the Active Audio in the old Devilles - they require special speakers - waaaay too much trouble. Stick with stock.

Greg

caddycruiser
09-13-07, 08:55 PM
Actually, Caddycruiser, they didn't move the "amplifier" to the trunk until the '93-on Broughams came out. From 90-92, the amplifier sat just behind the dash to the right of the steering wheel, behind the wood trim.

I bought a factory CD/cassette head unit on eBay for my '90 Brougham for $150.00 and it wasn't even that great. So I sold it and went with a MUCH BETTER OPTION. See what I did.

The double-din hole for the radio is a very common size and the wires are all the same on the other end of the amplifier. So I bypassed the amplifier when I installed a GM CD-player from a Buick. All GM radio wires are pretty much the same (colors-to-functions) and they're all 12-volt. So its an extremely easy fix.

Here's what you do.
Get a Buick double din radio (like mine). They are a dime-a-dozen and dirt cheap - only about $35. They also sound MUCH better than the original units. PLUS, you get CD and cassette and custom equalization.

Then get the standard wire harness for that radio. It plugs your radio into the standard plug for all gm radio systems. Then unplug your amplifier from the speaker wires and antenna, and plug them into the Buick radio. It's amplifier is built-in, there's no worry about extra wires. The power antenna even goes up and down when you turn it on and off. That's the wonder of GM radios - they're so universal!

See mine. Total investment: $40 And it sounds awesome!

Great to know, I was just basing what I said on my knowledge of the '93-95 models, the radio unit similarity, and Metra's own listing of that harness for '91-95 models, not just '93 up.

So, good information on the compatability with other radios.

The point still stands, however, that a lot shops have no clue about these cars, whether 80's or 90's, and many still end up doing more than a hack job that causes issues because they don't have the proper information or do any research.

1990CaddyBrougham
09-14-07, 07:47 PM
Someones always thinking!!!

I bought my facotry CD for $50 on ebay... you guys must have been sleeping during bidding!

I had one parts car with the added speakers on the doors, but someone stuck a aftermarket CD in... OEM radio was not with the car. But i do have the door speakers that came with the CD option... yet to install...

90Brougham350
09-15-07, 02:10 PM
Where exactly where the speakers in the door, and how large were they?

Wheelman322
09-16-07, 01:06 AM
I like the look of that Buick install. I think I may replace the cassette only deck in my 91. Do the speaker plugs unclip from the amp and plug directly into the Buick radio?

My_favorite_Brougham
09-16-07, 03:22 PM
Someones always thinking!!!

I bought my facotry CD for $50 on ebay... you guys must have been sleeping during bidding!

I had one parts car with the added speakers on the doors, but someone stuck a aftermarket CD in... OEM radio was not with the car. But i do have the door speakers that came with the CD option... yet to install...

Just let me warn you that those same radio were in the 1993 to 1995 Fleetwoods and though they look exactly the same on the outside, they have a completely different wiring harness that will not cross over to the 1990-1992 plug. I think it might be because the amplifier that's in the trunk for the newer ones is different from the one in the dash of the 90-92s. You can also tell because the mounting brackets on the case are slightly different, but can be switched out for the older ones. The newer ones commonly do sell in the $50-100 range, while the older are commonly much higher. You're sure that it's a 90-92 radio? Post a link to the auction...please.

Oh, did you get the CD-only player? Because those were only made one year in 1990 for the Brougham and are EXTREMELY rare. (I think someone here has an original CD-only player; saw it a while ago) In 1991 to 1992, they were either tape-only or combo setups.

Greg

My_favorite_Brougham
09-16-07, 04:06 PM
I like the look of that Buick install. I think I may replace the cassette only deck in my 91. Do the speaker plugs unclip from the amp and plug directly into the Buick radio?

No, they do not. The Buick radio has its own amp built-in. This has become common for every stock radio since 1994, at least for GM. Remember that where the radio in your Brougham actually communicates with the speakers and antenna is at the other side of the amplifier. That's where the speaker wires and antenna jack are. By removing the dash head unit, you are merely disconnecting the display and tuning knobs from the actual radio. You need to unplug the speaker harness which is a set of four plugs that plug into the amp. Those wont directly hook up to the big blue hole in the back of the radio, so you need to get a harness that matches the back of the amp. (picture 1) Then get the plug harness that plugs into the back of the radio (picture 2), and splice the two together. Then the four little plugs from the inside of your dash will plug into the end of the wires you spliced sticking out of the radio.

Basically, splice these together and put it in between the car and your radio. Click the pictures to go to a site where you can purchase them.

Picture 1:
http://www.installer.com/photos/70-1858.jpg (http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=70-1858)

Picture 2:
http://www.installer.com/photos/71-2001.jpg (http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=71-2001)

Good luck

1990CaddyBrougham
09-16-07, 10:42 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/1990%20Brougham/Brougham12.jpg

I bought it some time ago...
When i said not installed yet, i meant the door speakers, sorry for that. The radio has been in for about 2 years now. I got it shortly after the car.
Its from a 90 (with the green screen, as compared to the white readouts of the 91-92) And its only a CD, not the CD/ Cassette combo, like you said MyFavorite....
When i bought it, i remember the ad saying it was one of 127. Now im not sure if that numbers even correct, or if it is, if its for the 90-92 or just this 90 style.
ANyways... to be quite honest... i dont even use it. It works, but i dont own many CD's.... so its used rarely.
I do know the 93+ ones dont fit, Plugs are infact different.

1990CaddyBrougham
09-16-07, 11:10 PM
And for you 350......

These are the speakers and speaker "shells"
I was lucky that the parts car was the same Antelope color Int. The covers or shells are fabric color to match the upholstry color.

This is where they would be mounted....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/CD.jpg

And this is the speaker itself....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/CD2.jpg

There is one on each door.. I have not installed them yet becasue one, i wasnt bright enough to think to take the wire harness out, let alone the pigtail for the speaker plug. And one would have to cut a large hole in the door panel to properly mount them. if i ever sold the car to get my sought after 5.7 i would be taking the CD player and speakers... with holes in my door panels...

But i got them incase.... lol.

They are in a large box of misc trim and parts that i tell myself im going to put on my car. Various parts that are in better condition then whats on mine. Alot is chrome stuff that shows like new.
This box has been collecting since my first 90 parts car, 2 years ago next month, and the 8 after that.
;)

Benzilla
09-16-07, 11:12 PM
My '90 Brougham originally just had the cassette deck, so I did something similar to the Buick idea, and found a CD player from a 1994 DeVille. All of the Brougham's fittings bolt right on, wiring harness snapped on, and boom. We're done. Much better sound quality, and it looks original except for having sliders instead of preset equalizer settings.

90Brougham350
09-16-07, 11:30 PM
A 94 DeVille eh? I wouldn't have guessed those would fit. Can you post a pic of it Ben? 1990CaddyBrougham, thanks for the pics. That gives me ideas for the near future. I need some front speakers. Problem with aftermarket is that any decent 4x6 speakers are much deeper than the stock ones, so they don't fit under the dash. I had a pair of 4x6s sitting on top of the dash without any speaker covers, but it didn't look good. I'd like to put some components in the doors and paint the speakers to match the interior.

Benzilla
09-16-07, 11:51 PM
This is the only picture I have, too bad it's blurry. But you can get the idea.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_0545.jpg

90Brougham350
09-17-07, 12:09 AM
Thanks Ben, that's pretty cool. I think I know what my next goal at the junkyard will be.

My_favorite_Brougham
09-17-07, 12:30 AM
This is where they would be mounted....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/CD.jpg

Ah, I see there are wreaths around the crest on your door light(s). Was that like that, or did you just add some extra bling? :thumbsup: Kinda like around the door locks or on 350's mirrors. Mine didn't even have crests, just squares.

I may have to get some myself, for the future anyways...

1990CaddyBrougham
09-22-07, 12:15 AM
They came out of my first 90 D'elegance parts car... I have seen few since.

I think everyone can agree its much pimper vs the square. The 81 Fleetwood Coupe delegace has them also.

IDK which cars got them, as i have had other Delegance parts cars, and they werent in it.

gfxdave99
10-24-07, 10:05 PM
My '90 Brougham originally just had the cassette deck, so I did something similar to the Buick idea, and found a CD player from a 1994 DeVille. All of the Brougham's fittings bolt right on, wiring harness snapped on, and boom. We're done. Much better sound quality, and it looks original except for having sliders instead of preset equalizer settings.

Do you mean you had to get the metra wires or it was plug and play with the existing wires?

gfxdave99
11-18-07, 12:01 AM
Hey MFB.. How do you get to the amp exactly?

My_favorite_Brougham
11-18-07, 11:57 PM
Hmmmph.. that's a toughie. You have to remove the black plastic panel from underneath the dash. I thinks it's called the HVAC panel. But you can't fully remove it because it's attached to the steering column. So you just have to fiddle with it. Then stick you hand up the dash so you're to the left of the radio and to the right of the steering wheel. If this is the instrument cluster, /---\ , the the amp is right behind this [ \ ]. If you get that. Actually what I did was take the wood trim bezel off that goes around the speedometer and wiper/light/cruise controls, you can cut a hole in the dash and get to it alot easier. Then cover the hole up with the woodtrim bezel again. Either way, I gave up half way through and went with the Buick route, so I can't detail much past this. What I can tell you is that the amp sits in a metal bracket that you have to unscrew the amp from, then slide it out. I suggest you unplug the wires first, though (car harness, antenna, head unit).

Though I did not complete this job, 90Brougham350 gave me a service manual print out that explained it in more detail. I suggest you talk to him (pm or thread) and he can enlighten you far more than I can, as I believe he's done it.

Good luck!

Greg

gfxdave99
11-19-07, 01:23 AM
Hmmmph.. that's a toughie. You have to remove the black plastic panel from underneath the dash. I thinks it's called the HVAC panel. But you can't fully remove it because it's attached to the steering column. So you just have to fiddle with it. Then stick you hand up the dash so you're to the left of the radio and to the right of the steering wheel. If this is the instrument cluster, /---\ , the the amp is right behind this [ \ ]. If you get that. Actually what I did was take the wood trim bezel off that goes around the speedometer and wiper/light/cruise controls, you can cut a hole in the dash and get to it alot easier. Then cover the hole up with the woodtrim bezel again. Either way, I gave up half way through and went with the Buick route, so I can't detail much past this. What I can tell you is that the amp sits in a metal bracket that you have to unscrew the amp from, then slide it out. I suggest you unplug the wires first, though (car harness, antenna, head unit).

Though I did not complete this job, 90Brougham350 gave me a service manual print out that explained it in more detail. I suggest you talk to him (pm or thread) and he can enlighten you far more than I can, as I believe he's done it.

Good luck!

Greg

Thanks greg.. i just spent another hour wrestling with taking apart the dash and I really really really wish i never opened up the dash lol.

Yeah i really was thinking about the cutting idea.. because with the HVAC controls and stereo out i can touch the amp and move it around but i just cant get a good enough hold on it to get that plug off. I was thinking about having an alarm put in, Depending if 90Broughm350 can help me out or not I may just give up.. drive it to circuit city and say here.. fix it

:want::want::want::want::want:

The plus side is I have a bunch of nice high resolution pics of me ripping the dash apart which may be helpful for others eventually. Hmm the more i think about it the more the cutting a nice hole in the dash behind where the steering bezel sounds better and better.

I knew it was a bad sign when no online instruction site had ANY information about the damn thing. There needs to be a google link where the first thing you get when you search on "Installing a radio in a 1990-1992 Brougham" is DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT BITCH!

Oh well this is nite 2, so, were at Car 2.. Dave 0