: Oil Pressure Issue - 2000 Cadillac DeVille

USIAGC2
09-12-07, 12:07 PM
Not sure if this is the correct spot on the board to post, but I am having some issues with my oil pressure in my 2000 DeVille.

Last week I got the warning where it said "Oil Pressure Low. Turn engine off immediately".

I looked in the manual and it said that the warning may mean that I was low on oil. I added 3 quarts of oil and the warning went away and the car seemed fine.

Yesterday, the oil pressure warning came on again. I added 3 more quarts of oil and the warning went away again. Now the car idles kinda rough when in park. As soon as I put it into gear (drive or reverse) it seems to idle fine.

Any suggestion???

codewize
09-12-07, 01:04 PM
Well oil pressure and oil level are 2 different things. I've never run my N* 3 quarts low before but I would assume that it would still maintain pressure. Are you sure it wasn't the oil level warning?

The oil level warning should come on at the bottom of the dipstick, which is exactly 2 quarts low. If there is truly a pressure problem, I think that's reason for concern. But I haven't seen any of that around here.

USIAGC2
09-12-07, 01:25 PM
The warning actaully says "oil pressure". The odd thing is that it goes off when we add oil.

Any idea how many quarts of oil the car actually holds? There are no oil puddles after the car sits so that leads me to believe that 1. it is leaking only when the car is driving, 2. it is burning oil and not leaking oil, or 3. there is no problem at all with the oil level.

The low oil level warning has not come on and when looking at the dipstick, it doesn't appear to be 3 quarts low, but for some reason the car runs fine and the warning goes away as soon as we add that oil.

Maybe a trip to the dealership is in store.

codewize
09-12-07, 03:27 PM
The engine with a filter change holds 7.5 quarts.

When you get this message is there any oil on the stick?

How often are you adding oil mileage wise?

It could just be a bad sensor.

Now having said that, I think this is a dry sump system and CAN loose prime. The remedy to recover from that is to overfill so I'm wondering if you have a pump problem.

USIAGC2
09-12-07, 03:56 PM
I bought the car used about 3 months ago and have had no issues with it until now. I haven't even driven it 3000 miles since the last documented oil change.

I did purchase it in south floida and drive it about 10 hours to my home in Atlanta, but that was 3 months ago.

There is still a normal amount of oil on the stick. I agree that it may be a pump or sensor issue because I think that if it was more than that I would have had more of a problem along my 10 hour drive.

The warning light has not come on at all today since I added the extra oil yesterday.

Would you suggest I add additional oil to "overfill" and try to push whatever seems to be the problem out?

Ranger
09-12-07, 04:36 PM
As long as you have 3 or 4 qts in the sump the pressure should be fine. If you added 6 qts in 2 days, either you are way over filled or burning/leaking like crazy. Check the dipstick daily and don't overfill it.

Submariner409
09-12-07, 07:50 PM
The N* is, strictly speaking, not a dry sump engine. The oil pump is slightly above the full oil level in the pan, so has a check valve in the suction line. This is the reason that, if the pump loses prime due to particles jamming the check valve, you overfill by a few quarts, idle the engine to regain prime, hope the check valve clears, and drain the extra oil before revving past idle. IF the engine seems to idle roughly after adding 3 extra quarts of oil, you may be whipping up a real mess with the rods and crank in the oil bath...........(the transmission IS dry sump.....)

codewize
09-12-07, 10:10 PM
Ahh OK I knew there was something with the oil sump. Thanks for clarifying.

The N* is, strictly speaking, not a dry sump engine. The oil pump is slightly above the full oil level in the pan, so has a check valve in the suction line. This is the reason that, if the pump loses prime due to particles jamming the check valve, you overfill by a few quarts, idle the engine to regain prime, hope the check valve clears, and drain the extra oil before revving past idle. IF the engine seems to idle roughly after adding 3 extra quarts of oil, you may be whipping up a real mess with the rods and crank in the oil bath...........(the transmission IS dry sump.....)

CadillacSTS42005
09-13-07, 08:29 PM
also check the harmonic balancer