: OnStar Summary

c5 rv
09-11-07, 10:17 PM
Have you ever followed the links in the monthly OnStar vehicle summary email? I clicked the link for the first time today and saw the graph of my average daily mileage for each month for the past year. Very cool. I can tell when winter set in and I switched to my AWD vehicle - the average for the SRX dropped from 33 miles per day to 7. (It's since back up to 57/day.)

TSS
09-12-07, 09:02 AM
Too much "big brother". I opted out of having them monitor me....

dkozloski
09-12-07, 04:16 PM
The black helicopters disturbed my sleep.

john d
09-12-07, 04:32 PM
Have you ever followed the links in the monthly OnStar vehicle summary email? I clicked the link for the first time today and saw the graph of my average daily mileage for each month for the past year. Very cool. I can tell when winter set in and I switched to my AWD vehicle - the average for the SRX dropped from 33 miles per day to 7. (It's since back up to 57/day.)
Can't find a "link" in my reports. Is the "link" a special service you opted for when you requested the monthly reports begin?
How would I find and follow the "links"?
Thanks.

c5 rv
09-12-07, 08:25 PM
Under Maintenance Information on the left side, toward the bottom. The bottom line below is a link in the email:

Vehicle Maintenance

Remaining Oil Life: 31%
Mileage: 18,428

No required maintenance due at this time.

Based on oil life and mileage readings, next required maintenance estimated at 22,500 miles.

How to reset your vehicle's oil life indicator

View your oil life and mileage history

john d
09-12-07, 11:17 PM
Under Maintenance Information on the left side, toward the bottom.
View your oil life and mileage history
Found it ....thanks!

GMJim
09-13-07, 07:21 AM

Talk about big brother..............GMAC insurance offers an low mileage onstar discount. You must agree to let onstar send GMAC your data. GMAC automaticly signs you up for this. I had to politely decline the meager discount, and their free access to my world. I could see the writing on the wall, Geeze Mr. Valued Customer, your rate is based on 12K miles a year. Onstar says you drove 30K miles. RATE INCREASE............RATE INCREASE............

c5 rv
09-13-07, 09:14 PM
... Mr. Valued Customer, your rate is based on 12K miles a year. Onstar says you drove 30K miles...

...at an average of 12 MPH above the posted speed limit 80% of the time with a maximum speed on 08/15/2007 of 117 MPH. We are reclassifying your risk category to TOAST.

john d
09-13-07, 10:01 PM
...at an average of 12 MPH above the posted speed limit 80% of the time with a maximum speed on 08/15/2007 of 117 MPH. We are reclassifying your risk category to TOAST.
Couldn't after market computer reflashes via Superchip type products be identified by Onstar too?
Like higher rpm limits, tranny shift point changes, timing and fuel mixture mods, higher speed shut off points.
Would that void the warranty or at least give rise to a legal battle on voiding warranty coverage?

robhersch
09-14-07, 04:05 AM
Talk about big brother..............GMAC insurance offers an low mileage onstar discount. You must agree to let onstar send GMAC your data. GMAC automaticly signs you up for this. I had to politely decline the meager discount, and their free access to my world. I could see the writing on the wall, Geeze Mr. Valued Customer, your rate is based on 12K miles a year. Onstar says you drove 30K miles. RATE INCREASE............RATE INCREASE............

I believe that GMAC is not alone in mileage-costing-insurance. I have had the same carrier for many years; and now starting this year, renewal requires your odometer reading & date to validate your coverage rate. At least OnStar can validate your mileage!! Also, note that all auto insurance claims require odometer mileage (some want dated photo of odometer) along with the claim.
Could this ins-mileage-cost feature be related to the greater numbers of illegal-uninsured (and unregistered) vehicles (and longer time on roads means increased risk) even though state laws require insurance in order to register (just don't register) ??

MortnCyn
09-14-07, 06:56 AM
Our '94 MARK VIII has 62,xxx miles and the insurance company does ask on occasion for verification (just a letter/form to sign and return) in order to keep our low mileage discount. On the other side of the coin (gee you have really mistreated this car - no warranty) will the manufacturer say you have taken great care of your ride and Mr. Customer you deserve warranty.

ncCADDYman
09-17-07, 08:52 AM
Couldn't after market computer reflashes via Superchip type products be identified by Onstar too?
Like higher rpm limits, tranny shift point changes, timing and fuel mixture mods, higher speed shut off points.
Would that void the warranty or at least give rise to a legal battle on voiding warranty coverage?

interesting question, one that i've never really even considered. let me check if any of my customers have done a reflash to their vehicle and get back with you ...

TSS
09-17-07, 03:20 PM
If you authorize them to monitor you, I would expect so. I do know, that for PCM programming (ie. Superchips), ONSTAR is disabled by pulling the fuse. I always suspected this was the reason they had you pull the fuse.

I can't remember if it is part of the instructions with the Diablo Predator, but I pull the fuse anyway when programming!