: How much of your life is Cadillacforums.com?

My_favorite_Brougham
09-11-07, 03:33 PM
Right now I am doing like I do every day, and that's spending an hour or more on this site, particularly the RWD forum, just poking around, reading, and thinking. And I am just wondering how many hours of the day are you "Cadillac-ing"? I find myself spending hours sometimes, just reading posts, fawning over pictures, or even just Googling 1992 Cadillac...1991 Cadillac...1990 Cadillac...till kingdom come!

Does anyone else out there do this? Or do I spend too much time online and not enough time loving my Cadillac (i.e. looking for one)? I know there are regulars like Ben, Chad, Elias, and Jonas (where's he?) who seem to always be here, and then there's the occasional poster/responder to whom we give the "More pics, more pics" speech, but how much of your life is it really? Because I have actually found myself spending a little too much time online, hours at a time, without even knowing it. All I do is look at Cadillacs, read about them, research them, go eBay-ing/Craigslist-ing for them. And it is actually quite time-consuming. It's like I'm addicted or something.

One time I spent the better half of a Saturday, just on the computer, not really accomplishing anything...just "Cadillac-ing." Then after countless pages I actually got a little sick of the Cadillac design, but one quick search for a Civic quickly cured my ailment. At that time I realized that was a bit much and turned off the computer for a breath of fresh air. Do you ever get a short case of anti-Cadillac syndrome? That hasn't happened for a while but it shows my point. Does anyone else ever unconsciously get this carried away......OBSESSED......with Cadillacs?!!

Thoughts?

Greg

Benzilla
09-11-07, 03:44 PM
Yes.

I'm the same way, I spend at least an hour on here most days, and I spend hours googling 1979 Cadillac... phaeton... red coupe deville... etc, go looking for pictures, check the MSN group for 1977-1979 owners, all sorts of stuff. It gets to be a bit much sometimes, occasionally I'll spend about five hours at night without even knowing it. Just looking at Cadillac stuff. I never knew how much I was on here until I was banned for a week.

So, I know exactly what you mean. I'm also addicted to Cadillac. And I think god every day that it wasn't starwars.

ReagansRollsRoyce
09-11-07, 03:44 PM
Probably 10-15 minutes...I come on to take a look at people's pictures when they post new ones, follow the sagas of repairs I know I could never complete myself (but watch amazed as many of you take apart and put back together cars in your own houses), and use the knowledge here as a mechanic-BS detector. I have sometimes spent an hour on the forum but usually it's just a few minutes while I scroll through points of interest.

As for anti-Cadillac, the closest I get to that is occasionally pondering getting a Lincoln (of the same vintage or older) as a companion car.

My_favorite_Brougham
09-11-07, 03:56 PM
I never knew how much I was on here until I was banned for a week.

If you don't mind my asking, how could a contributor such as yourself be banned from this website?? It's blasphemy!!

Benzilla
09-11-07, 04:04 PM
Oh, I was just having some fun and ROLEX didn't like it. Nothing big, I guess it's hard to tell one's true sentiments through the filter of a keyboard.

CaddyshackCadillac
09-11-07, 04:12 PM
i agree there are days when im just fishing for cadillac anything here, ebay ,craigslist, cardomain for pics googling certain years to see whats for sale what looks good ..whatever nice to know theres more of us than ithought...soon ill have my 95 deville and will have to switch to the fwd forums ..........haa yea right ill still post in this one who my kidding...

Jonas McFeely
09-11-07, 05:34 PM
Depends on the threads and my mood. And if my cable is paid up. Usually an hour or so a day. As much as 4 if im in the mood. Lately ive been being lazy, and i hate playing catch up on here.

JTraik
09-11-07, 05:35 PM
Guess I am not the only one with this syndrome! During summer months I rarely come on here because of work, but during the winter I spend alot of time cadillac-ing, between classes and such. I am always looking for another thing to improve upon on my own Cadillacs. As for the anti-Cadillac syndrome... I will never dislike a Cadillac however I would not mind maybe adding an old New Yorker or Continental to my fleet. While they never surpassed Cadillacs I like some aspects of their engineering, build and style. However the biggest reason for expanding my automotive horizons would be that each make creates a unique visual impact for everyone else on the road... each has a different stature to it I guess.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-11-07, 05:37 PM
4-5 hours a day. I keep it up while I'm at work so I've got something to do when I'm bored, otherwise I'm on a lot at night when all the fun begins.

gregors29
09-11-07, 05:49 PM
I'm a new member and really enjoy this forum. Interesting how many of us love our old Cadillacs! I have a 1968 deVille Convertible that runs great and has almost 300 thousand miles on it, with never a ring job. Top up or top down, you always get positive comments from other drivers and passers-by when you are in an old Caddy.

305Caddy
09-11-07, 05:52 PM
I spend hours on this site, or treasure hunting on e-bay for stuff I can nab for my 85FWB. I even Hacked the my computer @ work so I could log on at work when Im Bored

My_favorite_Brougham
09-11-07, 06:09 PM
I don't mean that I had ever disliked Cadillac, but after looking at roughly 150 Cadillacs of the exact same body style, I started seeing spots. I was seeing too much of the exact same lines to appreciate it and what I had, since I was comparing Caddy to Caddy. So I simply Googled "Civic" to get me back 'in the mood.' It's kinda like banging your head on the wall over and over so that when you stop, it feels good. :banghead: ...lol

Greg

Cadillacboy
09-11-07, 06:20 PM
This forum is really a nice and very happy to be member of it . As for Cadillac , it's the only brand I could turn down a trade for RR (even including Lambo LP 640 ) .

codewize
09-11-07, 09:13 PM
I'm the same way. Lots of time spent on this site. I look, read, think then sometimes I eBay for Cadillac parts, accessories, clothing or whatever.

Does that make us Car Crazy?

90Brougham350
09-11-07, 09:13 PM
I used to spend far more time on here, but a new job keeps me out during the day and I don't spend the time I use to in the evenings. I don't know, I guess the forum just doesn't hold the same appeal it did for me a year or two ago. It's definitely a different forum than the one I joined. I spend most of my time on here in the RWD forum. It's really the only place that hasn't changed.

deVille33
09-11-07, 09:18 PM
At the present time, I'm recovering from orthoscopic surgery, so I'm spending more time than I normally do.
I hit this forum for about an hour or so in the PM. When I'm working, I might come here 2-3 times a week or less.
The rest of the time, I'm surfing for Cadillacs. I love the 1977 - 79 deVilles, Fleetwoods. I never seem to tire looking at all the combinations. There is a 1979 d'Elegance on ebay with an interior I've never seen before. I have 3 1977 Coupe deVilles, and 1 1977 Fleetwood Brogham. I had two other 1977 Cadillacs, but the city towed them off my property. I didn't have storage space for them, so I had to let them go. I have a couple 1978 Cadillacs and several 1979s.
That sort of proves how badly I'm addicted.

My_favorite_Brougham
09-12-07, 12:38 AM
I had two other 1977 Cadillacs, but the city towed them off my property. I didn't have storage space for them, so I had to let them go. I have a couple 1978 Cadillacs and several 1979s.
That sort of proves how badly I'm addicted.

What?! You mean the city just took them from you? What happened to them?

I don't know, I guess the forum just doesn't hold the same appeal it did for me a year or two ago. It's definitely a different forum than the one I joined.

Asking someone who's been here longer, how has it changed? Do you mean just different people or did the atmosphere turn foul? I hate to think we're going down the tubes.

Greg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-12-07, 12:45 AM
Now here's a good question....how many of us own Cadillac apparel?

I have a Cadillac sweatshirt (wearing right now) a Cadillac T-shirt and two Cadillac baseball caps.

But on the other side of the coin, I have probably 15 baseball caps all but four are automotive brands.
And two of them are Mercedes Benz, and I've got an M-B t-shirt and I'm planning on buying an M-B sweat shirt :hide:

Wheelman322
09-12-07, 01:00 AM
Usually 2 or more hours a day...Almost spent entirely in the RWD section. I get home from work around 12 am so i'm usually flipping back and forth between here, craigslist, ebay and a couple other car and body building forums. Not sure when my life got so boring but this site has defineatly made me more content to sit home at night.

eldorado99
09-12-07, 01:01 AM

I have a Cadillac sweatshirt (wearing right now) a Cadillac T-shirt and two Cadillac baseball caps.

But on the other side of the coin, I have probably 15 baseball caps all but four are automotive brands.
And two of them are Mercedes Benz, and I've got an M-B t-shirt and I'm planning on buying an M-B sweat shirt :hide:

I have a Cadillac Hat (old style emblem), and a Cadillac wallet which everyone always asks me about if they've never seen me pull in to work. Everytime I start a new job it takes half the time to meet everyone that it used to before I had the Cadillac. Everyone learns my name quickly because I'm the guy with the Cadillac... or to those less car saavy, the guy with the big, shiny old car. The gas station is always yielding new comments and compliments as well. "Now that's a car!" "That's not a boat, that's a ship!" "That's a great car!" Yet I'm always surprised at how few people can tell it's a Cadillac. Usually the first guess is Oldsmobile...

Anyways, replying to the OP. Yes much of the time I have Cadillac disease as well. I live and breathe Cadillac sometimes. My family and friends get sick of it I'm sure, so I try to tone it down when I'm talking to them about cars. I don't hesitate with my dad though. He's always been somewhat fond of cars (not a car nut mind you), I remember when I was about 6 years old asking him what his favourite car was while we were at a car show, to which he replied "a 1966 Ford Mustang". Now when I ask him what his favourite car is, it is a "1976 Cadillac Fleetwood".:D

I spend too much time finding information about Cadillacs, but it is my main hobby so it keeps me out of trouble. Sometimes I spend a few hours on here at night, usually an average of 1-2 hours I would say. Sometimes if we are really dead at work it could be up to 4 hours a day. :cloud9:

Cadillacboy
09-12-07, 05:06 AM

LOL, I have Cadillac hats as well as t-shirts .I do use Cadillac key chains :thumbsup::highfive:

CaddyshackCadillac
09-12-07, 01:00 PM
i have a black cadillac football jersey its pretty sharp ...number 59

05cts-v
09-12-07, 01:28 PM
I spend as much time as I can researching the 05 V, probably a couple of hours a day.

rlyons
09-12-07, 02:03 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time!

My_favorite_Brougham
09-12-07, 02:46 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time!

Me too.

Now I know I'm not the only one. Whew! But I'm still content. :cloud9:

My_favorite_Brougham
09-12-07, 02:49 PM
Ok, maybe this is making it worse, but is there a way to search all of Craigslist at one time? Right now I have to search every city, with every phrase...It really does take forever.

Cadillac Giovanni
09-12-07, 06:45 PM
I come here at least once every few days to check what's going on. If there's something I can help out with, I do, or if I need to ask a question, I do that as well. I don't usually stay too long unless there's and exceptionally long thread with some totally awesome pictures.

Also, I don't have any Cadillac clothes, but I usually wear a black fedora when I drive, and I have my grandfather's old Cadillac emblem pin in it, which he got from being in the owner's club.

People see it and cockily say "I bet you wish you owned one." To which I can cockily reply "I do."

90Brougham350
09-12-07, 06:54 PM
Asking someone who's been here longer, how has it changed? Do you mean just different people or did the atmosphere turn foul? I hate to think we're going down the tubes.

Greg

When I first joined, it seemed like the forum as a whole was a more mature place. We had guys like Katshot and Leloz around. Nowadays it seems like us ol' school RWD guys are looked down upon by all the CTS and V owners. Guess I just miss the old days, can't really give examples, but it's just an overall feeling.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-12-07, 08:03 PM
I definetly noticed that too...being around here for almost three years. I've seen a lot of people go (mainly the owners of the older Cadillacs) but a lot of the newer guys are good too, in their own ways. It's a much different crowd.

GizmoQ
09-12-07, 09:09 PM
Ok, maybe this is making it worse, but is there a way to search all of Craigslist at one time? Right now I have to search every city, with every phrase...It really does take forever.

I do it all the time. Just google "craigslist xxxxxxx" with xxxxxxx as what you're looking for. Google will return a list ordered chronologically of all hits it finds. Also the google list will have the city of origin prominently at the head of the web address. Works a treat!

I guess I spend way too much time here, too. I'm just so excited about creating an ESC-V that I get carried away reading here for hours. This place has also given me a better perspective and appreciation of not only my vehicle, the Cadillac moniker, but also what a V-series Cadillac really is. I know I'll probably never achieve a true V outta my ESC but even as a "poser" it's gonna be a fun a gorgeous ride.

AMGoff
09-14-07, 01:43 PM
I work on the computer all day so this site is just another open window. I just mark whatever threads/pages I'm currently interested/involved with and it alerts me whenever those pages have been updated... rss.. it's a beautiful thing!

CaddyshackCadillac
09-14-07, 01:50 PM

when im searching craigslist and looking for something and dont care how far i just google like say i wanted cadillac wire wheels ide search in google like this .......cadillac wire wheels craigslist

and it shows me all the listings each link for craigslist hope that helps

My_favorite_Brougham
09-14-07, 05:22 PM
I do it all the time. Just google "craigslist xxxxxxx" with xxxxxxx as what you're looking for. Google will return a list ordered chronologically of all hits it finds. Also the google list will have the city of origin prominently at the head of the web address. Works a treat!

Works great! Thanks.

1990CaddyBrougham
09-14-07, 06:37 PM
Im all over ebay and craigslist daily for RWD cadillacs... and poking around to find my some day 59.

Im pretty crazy with craigslist for Broughams. Im on them like white on rice. Thats where i got all my parts cars.... as soon as i would see one for a couple bucks come on.... im already on it.

Just a few weeeks ago a primo set of wire wheels went on. I was in contact wiht the guy 1 hr after they went up... Bought the next day.

It try to get here everyday, to update myself.... poke around..

deVille33
09-14-07, 09:59 PM
[quote_Brougham;1213217]What?! You mean the city just took them from you? What happened to them?

City ordinance, if car isn't registered and inspected, they claim it can be taken. Three of the Coupes were registered, but not inspected. One needed a new muffler. I paid for that one, fired it up and drove it back, brought it down to a muffler shop and got an inspection sticker. They also took my car trailer. I had to show them the registration to get that back, but they ( the junkyard ) took the sedan deVille frame I had on the back of it with the limited slip rear end. I had to hire another junkyard to haul the trailer and the beige Coupe out of there. I put the beige Coupe on the trailer and parked it right in front of my place for all to see it was going to stay.
This reclaim of these cars and the trailer cost me $375.00. I didn't have a place to put the other two Coupes, so I had to let the junk yard have them. One was in very good condition the other had some serious rust, but was still whole.
This city doesn't like you if your an individual, they all want you to think alike.

Spock
09-15-07, 01:38 AM
That is a shame and sad to hear. We almost had our cars taken away from us (they will be towed at your expense BS) because the neighbors complained. I have six cars registered and insured, and they were cheesed that they couldn't do anything about them, so they wanted to take away four of my parts cars.

You have a perfectly good past time which is healthy and productive, but no, someone wants to take your cars away. Sometimes it's just really disappointing.

Benzilla
09-15-07, 03:00 PM
Well if you just leave them sitting in the yard, I can see it. Even if they happen to be beautiful old Cadillacs, a bunch of cars sitting around isn't appealing. Maybe if they were under a long, apartment style carport nobody would have bitched. I know that isn't always possible, but nobody wants to see four parts cars sitting around...

Spock
09-15-07, 10:17 PM
You're right.

I can instead have 4 cows and let the smell of manure drive them insane. No one wants to live their own life, and everyone wants to tell someone else what they can and cannot do. The same neighbors in question have, committed arson and have dumped sewage onto adjacent lands. Yet the very same people have the audacity to complain. They even complained when I tarped them all, seems the very shape of a car frustrated them.

I know you don't know the situation that I'm in, nor do I know the situation of deVille33, and it is difficult to say what is reasonable in certain circumstances. Since I'm a car guy, to me it's perfectly fine, so my opinion is obviously biased.

pompste
09-15-07, 10:32 PM
Hi,i honestly love this Cadillac site.Since i bought my first Caddy last november,i`ve learned an ample supply of information pertaining to do it yourself repair,beautiful pictures of classic caddies,etc.
I log in when all the chores of the day seem to be done and it`s always a pleasure reading other members posts.When i can offer some information of my own on a Caddy subject i feel knowledgeable on,i`ll chime in.

I waited until i was 48 to own my first Caddy,so it`s still something special.

Without a doubt,my Sedan Deville is the most comfortable ride i`ve ever had in my life.I love it when total strangers,and also relatives,compliment me on how classy and well maintained i keep my Caddy.
I`m amazed at how many people mistake my Sedan Deville for a Fleetwood ever since i installed stainlees steel rocker panels along the entire length of both lower sides.

This site really is worth any donations when we can give it!

Wheelman322
09-15-07, 11:50 PM
My addiction is even worse now since I got my iphone. I find myself checking in while i'm on the road.

deVille33
09-16-07, 12:43 AM
Well if you just leave them sitting in the yard, I can see it. Even if they happen to be beautiful old Cadillacs, a bunch of cars sitting around isn't appealing. Maybe if they were under a long, apartment style carport nobody would have bitched. I know that isn't always possible, but nobody wants to see four parts cars sitting around...

For the sake of argument, I'm going to point out that the city had a policy whereby if you had your cars under a car covers, they would allow you to keep them. They did this after the local car clubs rallied against this new political regime. I had covers on all but one of these cars.
People are jealous by nature, and fostered complaints for no reason, because my property was no where near the people who made the complaint. The City Fire Inspector told me that some of the complaints came from the other side of the city. These were, most likely from someone who lost his car and stated, "what about so-and-so over there?"
The city also had a law suit by the owner of a model "A" , who came back from Florida and found his vintage vehicle missing from under a half open shelter. They kept this under wraps and I never did find out what happened.