: Where Is Location Of E.L.C. Exhaust 1983 Deville?

car3fan
09-11-07, 12:44 PM
I recently purchased a 1983 Cadillac Deville form my deceased Aunts estate. The car is in pristine condition with only 15,500 miles. It has been parked for several years. The only things I can find wrong with it are none of the interior lights work, the power door locks donít work, door cigar lighters donít work, and the power trunk release does not work. The 20amp fuse labeled body courtesy lamps, body cigar lights, and E.L.C. exhaust is blown and it immediately blows fuses the instant they are replaced. I am hoping that the ELC exhaust is what is putting a short on the circuit. Where on this Cadillac do I go to unplug the E.L.C. exhaust so I can check and see if it still blows the fuse on this circuit with the ELC disconnected?

Also, does anyone know if the power door locks and the power trunk release are on the same fuse with the body lights, body cigar lighters, and E.L.C. exhaust? If not where would these fuses be? Their location is not labeled on the fuse block or shown in the owners manual.

Thanks in advance for any help.

casciomichael
09-11-07, 10:56 PM
The Electronic Level Control ELC that you are refering to is on top of the Drivers side wheelwell close to the firewall. It is a small compressor with a air dryer and yes an exhaust valve. You can try to disconnect it and see if I makes a change. But I really think that it sounds more like a short in the Cigarette lighter circuit or a shorted out bulb.

I hope this helps,
Mike

The Ape Man
09-12-07, 05:28 PM
Did you look for money in the cig lighter yet? Very common problem. Change is attracted to electricity. Especially pennies.

car3fan
09-13-07, 01:42 AM
Did you look for money in the cig lighter yet? Very common problem. Change is attracted to electricity. Especially pennies.I have looked in all the cigar lighters. They have never been used and no coins are short circuiting them. I wish the problem was that simple. I really don't want anyone tearing into the wiring harness in the dash, scuffing, bending, or tearing door panels to get inside the doors, cracking interior trim molding and pulling down head liner trying to find the short. This car is just too nice to be molested by someone who will probably do more damage to the car than he will repair. It's too bad this cream puff Caddy has this electrical problem. I miss the interior lights at night when I open the doors.

The Ape Man
09-13-07, 08:23 PM
Consider a clamp-on current probe. They make finding shorts pretty easy. You can make up a fixture to put in place of the fuse using a power resisitor. A 10 ohm resistor will limit current to about 1.4 amps so the harness won't get hot even into a direct short. The resistor will dissipate some heat. A 20 watt unit would survive a long test just fine. Kill off any other loads so you don't get readings other than what you are looking for. You can clamp around entire harness sections looking for current. Then you can narrow it down to the single wire.
Back to guessing: The radio memory keep alive runs from this same circuit. Maybe that is something to look at.