Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Onstar Mystery Mirror, and Valet key Question

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  mberlant 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2002 cadi deville dts with [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]onstar[/COLOR][/COLOR], nav blah blah blah and i have 2 questions

1-I noticed that it seems as if my Onstar rear view mirror is missing a button or something on the right bottom corner. Its a little hole as if it once had an LED or something there once. Did it or what? help see attached image.

2-I had the dealer make me a valet key about two years ago, you know the gray ones. Well i just noticed yesterday that it is able to unlock my glove box!!!!!!!!! I havent checke dthe trunk but maybe that too. How is this? I thought its not supposed to open either. i compared my key and the valet key and noticed that they differ on one side but not the other. one has a slit down the middle and otehr side does not. Whats the deal??????
see attached for photo.

#5 ·
What????????:confused: My grey valet key unlocks/locks glove, opens/ locks door and starts car. If it's supposed to have no ignition capablites, then why would it be called "VALET" key. Arent you suppossed to give the valet a "valet" key so that you can have them move your car for a certain distance,but have no access to the trunk and glove?

if your right, then the valet switch inside the glove box is useless because theyll still be able to unlock the glove with eiteher key. ( black original or gray valet)

if the grey valet key cant start the car that means you would have to give them the original black key, which will void your attempts to secure your trunk and glove for sure. Which is what im trying to prevent in the first place. Makes no sense:hmm:.

From what i know its supposed to start car, allow it to drive for certain distance, and open door but not have access to trunk and glove.
If what you said is true............then the key is worthless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad2:

How are you supposed to keep people from getting into your trunk and glove when you use a valet, car wash, dealership, etc... if both keys have access to them but only the original (black) key can start it?

#7 ·
WRONG. I READ IN MY 2002 CADI DTS DEVILLE MANUAL LAST NIGHT AND IT STATES THAT THE VALET KEY WILL ONLY UNLOCK DRIVER DOOR AND START CAR.......IT SHOULD NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE LIKE MY KEY DOES. IM GOING TO TAKE THE KEY BACK TO THE DEALER AND HAVE THEM CUT ME A KEY CORRECTLY. OR DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY OTHER IDEAS?

#8 ·
you have to turn the feature on, on the dash........the valet key should unlock your door and start car, not able to open trunk with valet key or open a locked glove box with valet key, but if ur car is unlocked and not started u can just press the button inside the car to open trunk anyway

#9 · (Edited)
The gray valet key will unlock the driver's door and start the car. You can drive from here to Gainesville, FL with only the valet key. I did it to prove a point. BUT, if you turn off the trunk/gas door switch in the glove box and lock the glove box with a black key, the valet key will not open the glove box or the trunk, and the trunk/gas door buttons under the light switch are dead. Both the black and gray keys are PK3 coded, but the gray has only one groove up the shank. Mechanically, it's not supposed to fit the glove box or trunk. If it does, someone has hammered a gray key into the locks, breaking off the tangs in their lock cylinders. The ignition switch does not have the mechanical tangs, so the valet key fits either way. The feature is not controlled by the DIC.

#10 ·
The valet key is thicker than the master key. The slots on the glove box and trunk lid are thin so the valet key will not fit into them.
The valet key does have a PK3 pellet in the head and should be marked on the shank of the key.
It will open the doors and start the car but it will not open the trunk or the glove box because it is too thick.
Depending on the year there is likely a valet switch inside the glove box.
It is designed so that the keyless remote will not open the trunk. To be in true valet mode you'd need to turn the valet switch on, then lock the glove box.

PS. Please don't do this when you bring your car in for service. I have to get in the trunk and glove box to do a lot of things to the car. If you do this you are shooting us both in the foot.

#11 ·
There is one more thing that a GREY HEAD valet key cannot do that a black head master key can do. The PK3 chip inside the valet key is slightly different, in that it cannot be used to add a new key to the PK3 computer. This is to prevent a valet from copying your valet key onto a master blank and then programming the new key to be able to start the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.