: Blue Tooth And Cell Phone

jjdortenzo
09-11-07, 11:47 AM
I just purchased 07 STS with Blue tooth and have a cell phone with cingular service. How do I use blue tooth and cell phone in car ? If I use my cell phone car are the minutes used billed to On Star or my cell phone account ?

jgrade
09-11-07, 12:14 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Your question is a bit hard to understand, you say "cell phone car" (not sure what that means). If you have a BT phone don't worry about using the On-Star account. Use the discovery process on your phone to find the car. Once that is done, your car becomes a hands free device much like your headset. The dialing and minutes will be through your Cingular/ATT account

I did not include much info here but if you need more, post back.

jjdortenzo
09-11-07, 12:37 PM
I want to use my cell phone from Cingular in the car thru bluetooth . Dealer could not tell me anything . I want minutes to be billed to Cingular , not On Star as there minutes are too expensive and I don't see the need to pay for minutes twice.

cguthrie
09-11-07, 12:43 PM
Here's my advice. Read the manual in your home, without distractions.

Then take the manual and your phone into your car and follow the process.

If this does not, hopefully you have a laptop/wireless and take that into your car and use the search function on this site!

Good luck, it does work but is not intuitively obvious. The manual is your friend.

Don't even think about the Nav without reading the manual!

CG
2005 SG1 33K

jgrade
09-11-07, 01:41 PM
I want to use my cell phone from Cingular in the car thru bluetooth . Dealer could not tell me anything . I want minutes to be billed to Cingular , not On Star as there minutes are too expensive and I don't see the need to pay for minutes twice.

OK. So do what I said in my first post. You need to add the car to your BT devices on the phone. I assume you have done that with a headset sometime before. If not, like cguthrie said try the book. It's actually pretty easy, just not intuitive. There are a few threads on the subject if you try to search.

Don't worry about On Star, it has nothing to do with the BT function and you will not be billed unless you push the phone button on the On Star panel.

I keep my phone in my pocket all the time and use the BT to dial and talk without ever needing to hold the phone.

Just one warning, the BT function does not always work and can be very frustrating trying to get the phone and car to talk to each other. After many attempts and reprogramming of the nav unit I got it to work, but then lost the auto mute on incoming calls. 1 1/2 years later, still does not work correctly. GM's take is too bad, buy a phone that is supported. Problem is that the supported phones are about 3 years old and not for sale.

OffThaHorseCEO
09-11-07, 05:16 PM
also make sure the luetooth is not crippled like on some of verizons models

afaik att does not cripple their phones

jgrade
09-11-07, 05:39 PM
A crippled Verizon phone won't be an issue. I have just such a phone and it works fine. Since the phone and car do not support OBEX it doesn't make much difference.

Force-1
09-11-07, 07:45 PM
I don't believe you could ever be "charged" for On Star minutes anyway, as you have to prepay for minutes.

dkozloski
09-12-07, 03:54 PM
I don't believe you could ever be "charged" for On Star minutes anyway, as you have to prepay for minutes.
You can be screwed out of your minutes. I sold my CTS and OnStar said they'd transfer my 140 minutes to my new STS and it didn't happen. Now they claim they don't know what the hell I'm talking about. It's not worth arguing about now.

Buzz48317
09-12-07, 09:10 PM
Guys, I think that we are missing the first question here. Does your car have the factory Navigation system? There are those that think that they have the bluetooth system in their car just because it has OnStar. If your car does NOT have the navigation system you do NOT have a bluetooth link in the car. If, however, you do have the navigation system it is a rather easy procedure to link your phone to the car. I have a 2007 myself and the whole process took about 3 minutes. Put your phone in discover mode, have the car search for bluetooth signals, type in the password to link the phone, then set it as the default device and your done....easy.

To aleviate any of your other concerns, the minutes will be builled to your Cingulair/ATT phone and will not have anything at all to do with OnStar. The calls will ring into the bluetooth phone on your Cingulair telephone number, if you dial your handset in the car the call will be routed over the speakers etc. I suppose that it is probably possible to have the OnStar phone ring while you are on the bluetooth phone, although I am not sure about that, the OnStar line may just ring busy...they are two totally different systems. I keep minutes on my OnStar incase I am in an area where Verizon dosent get service, but I use the BT phone 99.97% of the time.

ewill3rd
09-13-07, 06:31 AM
Using bluetooth simply turns your car into a headset. When you connect the phone to the vehicle following the menus for setting it up, you are just connecting the car to the phone as an input device.
Sort of like hooking up a wireless mouse to a computer.
The phone itself is in control of connecting to the network and handling the dialing and the call. It just transmits data back and forth to the radio so that you can use the OnStar microphone and hear the sound in the speakers.

OnStar personal calling operates in a very different fashion.
You press the white dot button on the mirror (or phone button) and give verbal dialing commands. If you make calls that way you are using minutes. If you don't have personal calling minutes it just won't let you do it.
You can always press the white dot (phone) button and say "units".
Then say Verify after the prompt, this lets you keep track of your unused OnStar personal calling minutes.

See the difference?

jgrade
09-13-07, 10:21 AM
Buzz48317 - The OP said his new car has BT so we took it for granted that he has the nav with BT. However, it's not always so easy to get the car and phone to talk. In fact sometimes it's not possible as some of the threads have talked about. You would think that GM could find a nav and BT that works better than this unit, but why put that in your luxury class vehicle. You should see the crap they put in the Bentley.

Mplsspyder
09-21-07, 02:02 PM
One weird issue I have found with my phone is I have to have the car find the phone to connect and not the "normal" way of pairing the phone to car.

thefred
09-21-07, 04:55 PM
One weird issue I have found with my phone is I have to have the car find the phone to connect and not the "normal" way of pairing the phone to car.

I had the same problem until jgrade pointed out to me that you have to set your phone as the default in the car.