: Northstar idle

cadillac6
04-20-04, 11:34 PM
Ok so my cadillac which is a 97 cadillac concours. When I am at an idle the temp of the engine seems to go up on my gages. Is this normal or am I lacking something? somone told me that since the northstar is such a big engine that it is normal for that to happen. Can someone fill me in.

caddyshack24
04-20-04, 11:50 PM
All very normal, i'll heat up to about 225 degree's before my fan kicks on
hit the interstate and set cruise control.. will be substaintially cooler (196'ish)

Love those Whitewalls, player :coolgleam

cadillac6
04-21-04, 11:38 PM
Oh ok because on my concours I dont have #'s on my gage. Do I need a radiator flush?? maybe thats why its getting hot? i noticed it goes up and then cools off. It doesnt go up an extreme amount just about half a notch. So this is normal? would you recommend a radiator flush? I mean it never did this in the winter just now that its getting hotter it seems to be doing it more.

That 91 deville was my pride and joy until she was demolished in a wreck and sold for $150 :hmm: :crybaby:

J.A.O.
04-22-04, 12:29 AM
my 96 ETC has never given me an overheat condition since I got about 2 years ago. When in traffic, or a lot of stop and go traffic, I have seen the needle go as high as the last white mark before the red. Many others have experienced this as well. When I first got the car I began to panic and had it checked by the dealer. They found NOTHING WAS WRONG and assured me that northstars are known for varying temps particularly when in traffic WITHOUT the AC on because the fans are not operating at full power. When my gauge rises to that mark, it begins to fall again within 30-45 seconds. It's predictable and since I live in FL with all this heat and have never had a problem, I think it's safe to say that you have nothing to worry about.

cadillac6
04-22-04, 12:44 AM
*Whew* that is a sigh of relief. I was freaking out and was trying not to drive the car that much because of it. So nothing is wrong? it doesnt mean my antifreeze is going bad? Well glad to hear it was nothing. It has been hot here the past few days like 89-90. And it was going up. Do cars do that a lot too while idle?

J.A.O.
04-22-04, 09:19 PM
you'll probably find that if you are nto using the AC it will acutally run warmer b/c of the fact that the cooling fans dont kick on until about 225 degrees and to my knowledge, there are 2 fan speeds. obviously since the ac condensor gives off its heat in front of the radiator, it will make the need for the fans that much more. Look around on this forum and you'll find many others who express the same concerns but have no problems in actuality. I will admit it does take some getting used to.

El Dobro
04-22-04, 10:51 PM
When you first start a Caddy, all the warning lamps come on to let you know they're working. If you ever overheat, those lamps will come on and let you know, so if they don't come on while you're operating the car, you're not overheating. Don't worry and enjoy your Caddy.

cadillac6
04-26-04, 05:56 PM
Wow, I just wanted to thank all of you for your insight on this subject. Makes me feel a lot better and I can just sit back and relax while cruising in my deville with the A/C ahhh it is the little things sometimes in life.

ljklaiber
04-26-04, 07:04 PM

These are sweethearts, just boot'm in the ass and enjoy. Northies are badass engines.