Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Ipod Hack COMPLETE!!! 02-05 Dev 02-04 Sev

5K views 35 replies 6 participants last post by  HITMONEY 
#1 ·
heres what you need
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USA-...007QQitemZ170144308715QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
yup its that simple
see everyone though it would be a simple connect through the changer, unplug connector and plug into the one that says it works for the fwd Cadillac Cars
WRONG
for 02+ Deville and Seville you plug it in through the XM connector prewired in the back (at least in my car it was already back there the pin outs on the XM for vette and XM for dev/sev are the exact same no repinning required just different colored wires
depending on your application you MAY need the dealer to unlock your XM button on your radio
Otherwise buy that, plug it into the XM connector located on the drivers side wheel well (inside the trunk behind the liner obviously) and you can play, control and charge your ipod through the factory radio
ENJOY!

#6 ·
major misunderstanding
i have no idea about getting xm to work i have no desire to pay montly to listen to the radio so i never bothered looking into it. i do know you need an antenna and module that non xm cars do not have
this info is how to use the harness for the xm which is prewired into the trunk to get your ipod to work

#19 ·
Great find CaddySTS2003!

I am definitely going to do this in my car, ever since I switched to the Nav unit, I have been regretting the loss of my ipod2car.

My 99 SLS with 2002 nav obviously doesn't have an XM harness, so I am going to have to make one.

That said, can anyone help me out and provide the wiring diagrams for 2002 nav XM?

Thanks in advance, when it is done, I will post complete instructions!

#22 ·
Both those links go to the same page, page 10 of a very confusing an convoluted thread. But I did find where the ipod was hooked up, but I am not a fan of how it interfaced, just a black screen with the ipod music playing through it.

I think I am going to look into another way when I have some time. Maybe as someone else suggested, buy hooking up a factory XM harness and going through that, or go through the changer as has already been done.

thanks for the info anyway.

#23 ·
Heres a little tid bit I found... XM was first offered in the Deville in the 2002 model year, but it was not available for early production 2002 cars.

Mine happens to have been built in 11/01.

I don't know when they started installing them in all the cars, but mine certainly qualifies as an early production car.

Crap.

I am still trying to figure out if and or how to enable XM on my NAV.. if that is possible I can make my own harness.

Here is where I am starting... hopefully someone with XM will help me out.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/112766-unlock-navigation-while-driving-03-dts.html

#27 ·
Yes, that is basically hardwiring the ipod if I read that 10 page thread right, it works but I want to control the ipod through the HU and steering wheel controls like I can the CD changer.

I could have hard wired it a long time ago but that's not what I am after. Replacing the changer with the ipod is a possibility.

#29 ·
Maybe this new NEWS, or is old news but i messeged mikekilpartick who said he was working with a company who was willing to make a ipod harness/interface that would work with the 99-05 dev,sev/eldo etc radio/NAV. They were experimenting with a denso nav unit and radio trying to hack into it to accept i pod. This is the messege he sent me after he received the part that the comnpany came up with for testing. If this doesnt help, try PM'ing him for more info-

"Hey, I got the part in today for the car. What they sent me is a modified SONY Cd changer cable. Basically, what this thing does is supply you with TWO RCA input plugs, BUT, you have to track down the left and right digital input wires, plus the 2 respective grounds, (This is on the 10 pin plug that is in the center console, which plugs into your CD changer). Once you track the wires down, you splice this RCA jack piece into the wire harness. So, you have the left and right going into the RCA adapter and then a seperate left and right going OUT of the RCA adapter and into the CD changer.

What the concept is, from what I can see is that the CD changer HAS to be in the loop in order for the stereo to "talk" to the changer. What this thing does is that the minute it senses a signal from the RCA input jacks, it turns OFF the inputs from the CD changer and allows whatever you have plugged in (ie IPOD, XM radio) to play through the radio. The minute you turn off your alternative source, the cd changer kicks back in to allow you to listen to CDs again. The point is, there appears to be a "brain" in the CD changer which talks to the radio, THAT circuit will be running, which fools the radio to think that the signal is coming from the CD changer, when, in actuality, it is coming from your alternative source.

I have my service manual, have to track down the 4 wires to splice. I don't want to cut my factory harness, so I am buying a Peripheral harness adapter, cutting the appropriate wires on one end and then plugging it into the factory harness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.