: 2004 SRX Sulfur Type Odor

byrd9289
09-10-07, 12:34 PM
I have a 2004 SRX, all-wheel drive with 32K+ miles. Over the past two weeks, a horrific odor appears, within approx. 10 miles and about the time I apply the breaks. The odor will remain for a few hours then end as quickly as it begins.

It smells a lot like sulfur but could also be a battery acid type smell. I've checked the battery and doesn't appear to be leaking or losing power.

The smell is probably worse when the AC is on but doesn't go away if it is cut off.

It can go a week with no odor and suddenly apperar again.

Any ideas?

john d
09-10-07, 03:44 PM
I have a 2004 SRX, all-wheel drive with 32K+ miles. Over the past two weeks, a horrific odor appears, within approx. 10 miles and about the time I apply the breaks. The odor will remain for a few hours then end as quickly as it begins.

It smells a lot like sulfur but could also be a battery acid type smell. I've checked the battery and doesn't appear to be leaking or losing power.

The smell is probably worse when the AC is on but doesn't go away if it is cut off.

It can go a week with no odor and suddenly apperar again.

Any ideas?
Over rich/unburned fuel will cause rotten egg odor...next time it occurs sniff your tail pipes.
If it seems to come from the exhaust try Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner...be sure to use enough per the bottles instructions.
At 32k I'd do it anyway.
Too, others here reported a battery getting hot..so it could be the battery.
Mine was replaced just a couple of weeks ago at 22k and it's an 04.
Didn't get any warning..it just died out of the blue.

smokiejoe
09-12-07, 12:06 AM
Usally an over-rich condition in the Injection system, and the Catalytic converter is making the sulfur smell. The Dealer should check out.

caddydaddyb
12-16-07, 04:18 AM
I had that problem in my 04 and they said the battery was bad. I didn't believe it but they replaced it and it was gone. Could be others but that was my prob and it was very very bad. Goodluck.