: Is my A/C compressor toast?

yup
04-20-04, 08:31 PM
Hello,
I have a 97 SLS with 130K miles. The compressor is making some rattling noises when it is running and it is blowing warm air (85 deg). The clutch remains engaged and does not cycle. The pressures are as follows: idle low side - 95psi, high side 125psi... 2,000 rpm - low side 70 psi, high side 175psi

Assuming the compressor is bad, is it removed from the bottom? How difficult is it to remove? Are the remanufactured units any good or should I stick with a new one?

Thanks for your help,
Jeff

yup
04-21-04, 09:40 AM
Anyone?.... :confused:

Is it common for the A/C compressor clutch to wear and start slipping? Could this possibly be the casue?

PhantomCadillac
04-21-04, 09:49 AM
If your replacing the A/C compressor go with new the reman suck. The shop I go to will not use reman way too many problems. If your going to do the job do it right the first time.

yup
04-21-04, 02:47 PM
Yes, I am planning to use a new compressor. I have had bad luck with remanufactured units before..

Has anyone had a slipping A/C compressor clutch? What were the symptoms or noises it made?

J.A.O.
04-21-04, 10:29 PM
Not sure if this will help any, but I had my compressor replaced about a year ago. After i got it back it made this horrid rattling noise when the engine was at idle. I went back and they put yet another one in. I drove home and it was quiet. An hour later i go back outside, start the car and the noise came back. Again it only happens when the car is idling and yes the A/C runs perfectly. By the way, you mentioned something about the compressor not cycling. This sounds like the same situation i experienced. It turned out to be what they called an A/C Control Module Unit. Apparently this is what makes the compressor cycle. Well with it failed, the compressor never disengaged and destroyed itself. It was replaced along with the compressor and outside of that rattling noise (which I have heard others on this talk about) the A/c is perfect. Hope it helps

jakej
04-22-04, 01:10 AM
Mine also went out. Did the rattleing noise for about 3 months before it seized one day and the car had to be TOWED, because it would not turn over to start, because the belt is so tight. It ended up costing me $1200 (and thats "hooked up") for just the ac compressor installed. Sorry for the bad news.

Roswell256
04-22-04, 07:58 AM
$1200 DOLLARS!!! What else was bad? I can't see it costing me 1200 dollars to do it. Also your profile says Southern Wisconsin. Where abouts? I'm from Cobb.