: License Plate Mounting

djvirus
09-09-07, 03:47 PM
So, I purchased my 2004 SRX in a state that doesn't require front license plates, but mine (OR) does. I went to my local dealer and ordered the front license plate mounting plate. It arrived, and my dealer even installed it for free (4 holes, 4 rivets, and it's good)

But, the problem is, the holes in it for the plate don't line up with my license plate. So, my questions is? Am I missing a part? All it came with was the one black plastic rectangle that mounts to the front bumper. Is there supposed to b e something else?

Am I supposed to use a special license plate frame with it?

Any/all ideas would he helpful!

Thanks!

Harlyn

c5 rv
09-09-07, 04:02 PM
Did you check to see if either the top set of holes or bottom set of holes align with your plate?

When Michigan introduced a new license plate this year, the holes in the first few batches weren't in the correct position and people were very confused.

djvirus
09-09-07, 04:11 PM
Neither of them do. The plate is correct (I checked it against my other cars)

There are only 2 mounting holes in the SRX bracket, and they are about 3" too wide.

I will take a photo and post shortly.

djvirus
09-09-07, 07:42 PM
Here is what the mounting bracket looks like - anyone know if this is right? Am I missing something here?

http://hcetc.com/images/cadillac/licensebracket.jpg

sgilbert
09-09-07, 10:24 PM
If those holes behind the white tabs are too wide, you said 3 inches, why not cut those open squares on their inside edges 1 1/2 inches each and re-attach the white tabs.

The holes look, from the pic about right, though. How 'bout another pic with a plate held just below the holes?

Nasty collection of dead bugs! :)

djvirus
09-09-07, 11:20 PM
Yea, I just finished a 600 mile drive (washing it tomorrow)

Imbarrasing, isn't it?

Here are a couple of photos:

#1 - Note how much bigger the frame is than the plate - can someone with a front plate confirm that the bracket is that much bigger?

http://www.hcetc.com/images/cadillac/platemount2.jpg

#2 - Shows the spacing of the holes.

http://www.hcetc.com/images/cadillac/platemount1.jpg

I am sure I can just modify the bracket, but I am trying to figure out if I even have the right one on there (I don't like the big space around the plate)

On an interesting note - I just noticed that the front of the bracket says "SRX Japan" engraved in it. I wonder if that means it is for a Japanese SRX, or if it is for the SRX and made in Japan.

Looks like I am going to head back to the dealer tomorrow and figure out what is going on.

TSS
09-10-07, 09:12 AM
Yikes.... I see what you mean..... Good luck.....

If you don't get your answer here, why not just take a look at another one at the dealer since you are in a front plate state?

djvirus
09-10-07, 10:35 AM
I would, except they have NO SRXs (new or used) on the lot. It is a Chevy dealer that also deals in Cadillac. I am heading the way of the next closest dealer (2 hours) this week, so I will probably look then.

I think I just have the wrong bracket - plain and simple.

sgilbert
09-10-07, 11:30 AM
"I think I just have the wrong bracket - plain and simple."

I think you're right!

medmarkco
09-10-07, 11:43 AM
I think you have a "foreign" bracket. My bracket (not attached) is from a 2005, which should be the same. Mine only has the letters "SRX" and the bumper mounting holes are reversed - wide spaced on top and narrower on bottom. The plate mounting holes are inside of the bumper mounts on the top and outside the bumper mounts on the bottom. I don't have the square slots with the clips that yours does.

There is only one way to mount these because there is a "fork" on the underside of the frame which straddles the center rib in the lower grille area. (i.e can't be mounted upside down)

Part Number of mine is 25729102

I'll snap a picture later if it will help.

TSS
09-10-07, 11:49 AM
Yikes.... I see what you mean..... Good luck.....

If you don't get your answer here, why not just take a look at another one at the dealer since you are in a front plate state?

Or take a look on ebay for srx's for sale - there has to be one with a FRONT photo with a plate....

MortnCyn
09-10-07, 11:55 AM
Here is an '05 front bracket. aarrg! I for some reason cannot get the attachment to work today. Suffice it to say, you have an incorrect bracket. The bracket is used as a template, holes drilled, and then it is rivited to the fascia etc. The bracket, believe it or not, has SRX on it.

medmarkco
09-10-07, 11:59 AM
Here's a pic of the one that came from the factory with my 2005:

MortnCyn
09-10-07, 12:03 PM
Hoorah! And my uploads keep failing. Thanks medmarkco. Looks just like the pic I took.

medmarkco
09-10-07, 12:11 PM
P.S. You could just center your plate on the bracket you have, then drill holes into the plastic bracket. As you can see from my pic above, basically that's all that has been done from the factory. There are 4 slightly raised "rests" with holes drilled through them, but those aren't important.

You'll have extra bracket showing around the plate, but won't have to re-mount a new bracket using different holes in the bumper. Unless the 2004 USA bracket is different than mine, you're going to need to put 4 new holes in your bumper fascia. It looks like the USA bracket would cover the existing holes, but can't tell for sure.

medmarkco
09-10-07, 12:16 PM
Hoorah! And my uploads keep failing. Thanks medmarkco. Looks just like the pic I took.
Hopefully your garage floor is a little prettier than mine. I have been meaning to put a nice finish on it, but you know.... always something more fun to do.

djvirus
09-10-07, 12:25 PM
The dealer mounted it, not me - so, they are going to fix it. I ordered the part from them too, so they will have to do whatever it takes to fix it.

Thanks for the pics - that is nothing like the one I have.

As for drilling holes, I don't like the extra space around the frame. I like the clean/compact look of the proper one.

medmarkco
09-10-07, 12:31 PM
The dealer mounted it, not me - so, they are going to fix it. I ordered the part from them too, so they will have to do whatever it takes to fix it.

Thanks for the pics - that is nothing like the one I have.

As for drilling holes, I don't like the extra space around the frame. I like the clean/compact look of the proper one.

I understand.

my06SRX
09-10-07, 12:35 PM
I purchased my 06 SRX in Michigan which doesn't have front plates I live in N.Y. which does, the plate bracket was in the jack compartment it fits the plate perfectly it has 4 round raised boses on it that match the holes in the plate. You attach the plate with self tapping screws. Heres whats on the back of the bracket. TransNav P/N 25729102 PR 1282 TEO. hardware comes in another package P/N 25773941. Hope this hels you out. I think you do have a bracket made for the japaneese plate.

djvirus
09-10-07, 01:33 PM
I think I do too - thanks for the part numbers. I will go "have a chat" with them today :)

Harlyn

GMJim
09-11-07, 07:17 AM
Unfortunately they put a Japanese lic plate brkt on. Red is Japanese, White is domestic (see pics). Also your fascia will now look like swiss cheese due to the fact that none of the mounting holes are common. The is also a different brkt for China, Korea, and Euro. Good luck, I'm sure they will make it right.

Domestic 25729102
Japanese 25756163

djvirus
09-11-07, 11:45 AM
Wow - thank you for the graphic.

Yep - it is the Japanese one - I just got off the phone with the parts guy, and he swears up and down he checked 3 times and that I have the right one. Taking the car, the graphic you just sent, and the parts number up there now.

I am almost afraid to have them order any other parts for my car :D

sgilbert
09-11-07, 11:52 AM
"I am almost afraid to have them order any other parts for my car"

You might end up with right hand drive!

john d
09-11-07, 12:38 PM
Here is what the mounting bracket looks like - anyone know if this is right? Am I missing something here?

http://hcetc.com/images/cadillac/licensebracket.jpg
How much will it cost to replace the A/C condenser when it's pierced with road shrapnel?
Why is this exposed and unprotected?

djvirus
09-11-07, 11:58 PM
What is there supposed to be in there?

As for the part, I went in today, took them the image and they agreed that they ordered the wrong one. I asked the guy who ordered the wrong one to please pull up the info on the part "in case it is wrong in the computer" (yea, right)

It said right on it 2004 Cadillac SRX - oh wait what is that word - EXPORT!

They have it on order overnight, and will fix any problem and get the new one on tomorrow.

Now my worry is what is supposed to be protecting the A/C condenser...

medmarkco
09-12-07, 08:16 PM
What is there supposed to be in there?

As for the part, I went in today, took them the image and they agreed that they ordered the wrong one. I asked the guy who ordered the wrong one to please pull up the info on the part "in case it is wrong in the computer" (yea, right)

It said right on it 2004 Cadillac SRX - oh wait what is that word - EXPORT!

They have it on order overnight, and will fix any problem and get the new one on tomorrow.

Now my worry is what is supposed to be protecting the A/C condenser...
Nothing - they all come that way. There is an after market lower grille insert that you can buy that fits in that area. Often the custom upper grilles come with a matching lower insert.

It bothers me too, but I haven't done anything about it in 48,000 miles of driving. I regularly cleanout the sand and leaves that gets trapped, but so far no demage to the cooling fins. It only takes one nice sized rock...

I drive 500 miles round trip every weekend in the winter to ski in Maine and - knock on wood - nothing yet. I would really like a black (same color as vehicle) honeycomb screen or a horizontal slat insert, but the billet inserts that I've seen aren't what I'm looking for.

Designers - clean this area up if you're listening.

john d
10-11-07, 09:07 PM
Nothing - they all come that way. There is an after market lower grille insert that you can buy that fits in that area. Often the custom upper grilles come with a matching lower insert.

It bothers me too, but I haven't done anything about it in 48,000 miles of driving. I regularly cleanout the sand and leaves that gets trapped, but so far no demage to the cooling fins. It only takes one nice sized rock...

I drive 500 miles round trip every weekend in the winter to ski in Maine and - knock on wood - nothing yet. I would really like a black (same color as vehicle) honeycomb screen or a horizontal slat insert, but the billet inserts that I've seen aren't what I'm looking for.

Designers - clean this area up if you're listening.
Just bought a "gutter guard" section from Home Depot. Nice mesh made of white plastic. They had aluminum ones too. Going to see if I can attach just behind the openings in front of the condenser.

TSS
10-12-07, 10:14 AM
I did that with a prior vehicle - attached with zip ties. Truly looked OEM and cost less than 5 bucks. You can get the plastic gutter mesh in black too.

GMJim
10-12-07, 10:56 AM
I did that with a prior vehicle - attached with zip ties. Truly looked OEM and cost less than 5 bucks. You can get the plastic gutter mesh in black too.

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gutter helmet on a Caddy??? WTF Todd?
Next thing you know you'll tell me you made spiffy exhaust tips
oughta downspouts.

TSS
10-12-07, 11:09 AM
AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gutter helmet on a Caddy??? WTF Todd?
Next thing you know you'll tell me you made spiffy exhaust tips
oughta downspouts.

LOL. No, the gutter helmet was not on a Caddy, but I really do think it would look fine on the lower opening. Ironically, it was on that....uh...non domestic vehical I had once that I am still embarrassed about. :hide: For exhaust tips, I usually use tin foil to spruce them up, but the gutter idea is good too.