: Spark Plug Gap

KJE36610
09-09-07, 11:26 AM
I just installed some new Ac Delco spark plugs in my 99 deville, but I forgot to set the gap for the spark plugs.. Will this cause problems over time if the spark plugs gap is not set correctly?

Thanks..

Ranger
09-09-07, 12:18 PM
Probably. They are usually gapped correctly when you buy them, but it is always a good idea to check them. If it runs and idles OK, your probably good to go unless you are like me. Then it would nag at your mind until you confirmed it.

Submariner409
09-09-07, 03:15 PM
New plug gaps are a crapshoot. They're correctly gapped to .050" at manufacture, and if the boxes haven't been mishandled (dropped, thrown...) they should be OK. That said, it now depends on how paranoid you are over peace of mind. If you leave them in, of course something may be a bit off; if you pull them to regap, they'll all be perfect, naturally.......

KJE36610
09-10-07, 10:51 PM
Yea, its really bothering me.. But I read in a service book that its not a good idea to gap used platinum spark plugs.. Since they been in the car now for a week, I guess its to late to gap them.. The car idle, and drive fine..