: How to remove rear door panel.... with door closed?

Night Wolf
09-09-07, 02:25 AM
So the right rear door on the Brougham will not open from the inside or out, when pushing the button, or pulling the handle, I can tell the linkage inside the door is disconnected... no biggie...

but, how can I remove the door panel, with the door shut, without messing it up? Its tough cause the edges are kinda pressed in against the body of the car... or is there another way I could get the door open to remove the door panel?

Hasn't really bothered me, cause I don't need to use the door, and I actually forget about it at times, but its an easy fix, and I want to fix it....

Wheelman322
09-09-07, 03:49 AM
That sounds like a neat trick for David Blaine. J/K...Good luck.

slk230mb
09-09-07, 10:15 AM
Slim jim to get the door open?

deVille33
09-09-07, 11:10 AM
Have had this problem with the front door. If someone tries to access your car with a slim jim they may break the little plastic retainers on the control rods.
You have to go iin through the opposite door and remove the back seat, then the door panel will be accessable, not easily available, but accessable.

z06bigbird
09-09-07, 04:04 PM
That has happened to me before. As other member suggested, take rear seat apart. Just a little more effort than expected.

Night Wolf
09-09-07, 04:32 PM
Alright, I'll give that a try.

Is it like other GM seats of the era... the bottom gets pushed back and unlatches, then comes out and the rear portion gets unbolted?

Highway Star
09-09-07, 05:31 PM
Have you tried holding the inner door handle in the open position while throwing some body weight against the door (from the inside)? Sometimes they just hang-up and need some tough love. May not work if you definately have a broken linkage prob.

Night Wolf
09-09-07, 06:56 PM
Have you tried holding the inner door handle in the open position while throwing some body weight against the door (from the inside)? Sometimes they just hang-up and need some tough love. May not work if you definately have a broken linkage prob.

not yet....

the door first stopped opening from the outside a long while back, and even today, when you push the outside button, there is no real tension behind it, just the little spring in there.

From what I remember, the inside was the same way... I've got the car in the driveway though, so I'll give it another try :)

pimpin88
09-09-07, 08:58 PM
You could also try tapping the door right around the handle with your hand. My '88 Brougham did the same thing, but the linkage wasn't disconnected, it was just stuck.

If you keep tapping it around the handle, it should pop back out and the button will be hard to push again. It should open if you hit the unluck button and then try to open it. Then just pull the door panel off and lubricate the linkages.

Night Wolf
09-09-07, 09:12 PM
well I tried it form inside again.... nothing. It dosn't feel right tho, I really think its disconnected, just odd that both the inside and outside are like that.... although it stopped working from the outside first.

But, the car is back under the rear carport, I don't know when I'll be able to work on it again, but I will pull the rear seat and try to fix the door next.

Red_October_7000
09-10-07, 01:31 AM
Alright, I'll give that a try.

Is it like other GM seats of the era... the bottom gets pushed back and unlatches, then comes out and the rear portion gets unbolted?

I'm pretty damn sure it is. GM never gave up on this one, that's for sure. Every GM sedan I've ever seen has been this way, right through to the 2000s and probably continuint still.

96Fleetwood
09-30-08, 09:07 AM
Anyone have any idea about this issue?

The passenger side front door on my '91 Brougham is doing the same thing. It will not open from the outside or inside handle.

How do I get the door panel off with the door completly shut?

My_favorite_Brougham
09-30-08, 09:55 AM
I'm thinking that one of the several rods inside the door that activate the opening mechanism is broken or has broken clips.
I've seen the inside of these doors, as I've had this issue w/ the outside handle only on these cars. That cheap 80s plastic disintegrates after some time, especially if exposed to weather extremes.

What you might try is removing the inside door handle's chrome shell-type housing. That will expose the innards of the handle, and perhaps you can see the problem there or poke and pull with a coat-hanger wire. Or remove the lock-pull and start poking/pulling from there.

Best of luck!

DopeStar 156
09-30-08, 12:48 PM
The driver's door on my '76 DeVille got stuck shut one and I found out the linkages in the latch were rusted stiff. If you're outside door handle just freely goes in with no resistence, try shoving a slim piece of metal down the door and tipping the plate that outside handle knocks forward to open the door. My problem was that plate was getting stuck halfway and it was the equivelant to you trying to unlock the door for your girlfriend and she's too impatient and opens it at the same time canceling everything out........

Night Wolf
09-30-08, 10:08 PM
Wow.... I made this thread a year ago this month.....

man... that is so weird... it really dosen't seem like a year ago I was working on the Brougham... but at the same time, sooooooooo much has happened this past year....

man '08 has been a heck of a year...

96Fleetwood
09-30-08, 10:46 PM
Thanks for all the info, I will have to give these suggestions a try. If I can't get it, I know a good body shop that I will take it to.

Here are a few pictures:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_9882.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_9883.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_9884.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_9885.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_9886.jpg

It is a 1991 Brougham with the 5.7 liter and cloth interior, 131K miles. Runs fantastic and sounds pretty good with the dual Flowmasters.

It needs a little TLC, so I am going to drive it and fix it up then sell it around Xmas.

Night Wolf
09-30-08, 11:02 PM
How loud is the exhaust when cruising?

I've thought about getting some aftermarket mufflers on the Town Car.... but I have a hard time cutting up a mint factory (true dual) exhaust system.... and don't want a loud exhaust when crusing.

Aron9000
10-01-08, 12:20 AM
How loud is the exhaust when cruising?

I've thought about getting some aftermarket mufflers on the Town Car.... but I have a hard time cutting up a mint factory (true dual) exhaust system.... and don't want a loud exhaust when crusing.

Depends on which flowmaster muffler you get, they make about a dozen different varations ranging from quite to race car style mufflers.

96Fleetwood
10-01-08, 09:25 AM
The exhaust isn't loud by my standards.. it is nothing compared to what I have in my 1996.

You can hear the slight V8 rumble at idle and then at WOT it really roars. There is no drone or over powering sound while cruising.

Night Wolf
10-01-08, 05:13 PM
The exhaust isn't loud by my standards.. it is nothing compared to what I have in my 1996.

You can hear the slight V8 rumble at idle and then at WOT it really roars. There is no drone or over powering sound while cruising.

Hmmm, what series are those?

In the past I was not too fond of Flowmaster.... maybe they changed?

I'd want something with a slight V8 rumble and then a healty sound at WOT.... as it is now, you can really only hear the nice V8 sound at WOT, if the windows are down and no music on... but it does sound good :)

Droning, or much any higher then normal sound when crusing is a big no-no for me... for the last month I had to deal with the downpipe on the Isuzu rigged up to the manifold since both studs broke off... wow that grew old fast, it was so loud and just annoying... I finally rigged it up better to where it's actually kinda held tight and is no almost as quiet as it should be (minus cracks in the manifold that were there) but thru all that, I realized that a loud exhaust would just be annoying on a car that is daily driven and used for highway trips.

deVille33
10-01-08, 11:21 PM
Okay,
My '78 Brougham has this problem and I ended up taking off the door hinges and pulling the door away from the front. Then I was able to remove the door panel. It is still hard to reach the latch and evaluate what the &&@$ is going on in there, but I'm closer to the solution. I have another latch which I can use as an example to figure what has gone amiss.

deVille33
10-03-08, 09:42 PM
Awright, for those of you interested, Remove the rear door hinges and pull the door out as far as you can. You can access the edge of the door panel with an upolstery tool that sets off at a 60 degree angle. I broke a couple retainers, but got it free. Remove the door strap and fixture. Remove the door control moulding and interior light. You don't have to remove the rear seat, but it's removal may make the back edge of the panel more assessable. It's a good idea to brace the bottom edge of the door so it doesn't fall off on the ground.
I'm removing the door, so after removing the panel insulation and moisture barrier, I disconnected the electronic wiring from the various motors and assessories.
Not sure as to what your problem is entirely, but in my case the door handle control lever was flopping back and forth loosely, but not activating the door latch actuating lever. The actuating lever moved back and forth a little but the pivot rivet wasn't holding in place. A mini mag light is quite handy in this application, as it is hard to see in there, because the assess is very restrictive.
Had to use a lady slipper pry bar to force the door latch lever back and alternately pushing on the locking edge of the latch, which was very hard to see or locate. Success.
I hope this helps you get yours.

Samjean0324
01-19-13, 12:35 PM
So have this problem on my 92 brougham. Rear driver side door. Won't open inside and out. Please help.

csbuckn
01-19-13, 12:51 PM
You can remove the woodgrain ashtray area, the door courtesy light and the inner door handle trim and try to reach around inside the door to pull the rod that opens the door. If that doesnt work...the post above yours seems doable.