: Blew out the rear end

WEASEL
09-09-07, 12:47 AM
Well, we are now in search of a rear end for the Caddy. It had the 3.15 Posi, sounds like a used one will be hard to find. Might have to settle for the higher geared open differential. I was chatting with a fellow coworker who had an Olds Regency, about a '75, with the same style rear axle assembly. If this is true, maybe I'll be able to find a lower geared unit. Can any of you tell me what rear axle assemblies interchange with the '76 Sedan Deville? How about any Caddy salvage yards in the Mid-Michigan area?

This rear end has to be the most unusual looking thing I've ever seen, not your run of the mill rear end.

Thanks.

The Ape Man
09-09-07, 10:40 AM
Just wondering. What failed? Best of luck finding a replacement.

Wheelman322
09-09-07, 02:43 PM
At least you didn't blow the tranny:duck:

WEASEL
09-09-07, 02:55 PM
I haven't looked to see what crapped out, but I'm thinking the pinion gear stripped out on the ring gear. If thats the case and the carrier isn't damaged, I'd like to throw a lower geared ring and pinion in it, maybe a 4.10 if I can locate a company that makes them. I'm gonna call my buddies dad tomorrow. He works at a nearby slavage facility and has a Sedan Deville there that I'm getting the filler peices for between the rear bumper and 1/4 panels. By then, I will know what it will take to fix the rear end. I'll have him check the gear ratio in the salvage vehicle to see if it's a 3.15. If no luck, I'll have him run an interchange check on this beast to see what else will work. We'll get her going again, soon I hope.
Thanks.

The Ape Man
09-09-07, 05:08 PM
The open axle should be easy to find. That posi didn't show up too often. Replacement gears are going to be unobtainium. Neither broke unless they had been contaminated by being in a flood.

JTraik
09-09-07, 11:45 PM
At least you didn't blow the tranny:duck:

No, that would have been the better mishap. What exactly made you determine that the rear blew out?

Wheelman322
09-10-07, 12:41 AM
No, that would have been the better mishap. What exactly made you determine that the rear blew out?

I wasn't referring to the transmission....Get it:shhh:

WEASEL
09-11-07, 04:00 PM
:lol::lol::eek:.

Being an auto tech for 15 years, it's pretty easy to determine when a rear end blows out. I wish it were the transmission that puked.

The carrier, spider gears and ring and pinion are all junk. We found a rear end about 2.5 hours away. Unsure if it is a locker and unsure what the ration is. After looking at this one, I found it to be non-locking differential. I assumed it was a locker because it never one wheel peeled.

The Ape Man
09-12-07, 06:30 PM
Speaking of transmissions, don't forget to grab the speedometer driven gear from the donor car if the ratio is different than yours.

WEASEL
09-12-07, 07:48 PM
Yup, made a note. I gotta verify that the gears currently in the Caddy are indeed 3.15's.
Thanks.