: Tough Decision.....

Wheelman322
09-08-07, 06:03 PM
As some of you have recently read I just added another Cadillac to my fleet. I really didn't need it b/c I don't have room for it. I've come to the conclusion that something has to go. So here are my choices...
1. Sell the 80 FWB Coupe D'elegance that is all original with 73K miles and needs nothing mechanically or cosmetically. The con being that with under 1000 of these produced, i'll probably never find another like it down the road.

2. Sell the 91 Brougham 5.7 that I just bought and have wanted for several years. With 56K miles and Diplomat Blue...chances are it's going to be hard to find another one down the road in it's condition + I know the car is only going to appreciate over time.

3. Sell the 78 FWB that is probably the least valueable in the fleet but has eaten the better half of $14,000 and is pretty close to perfect + it's extremely sentimental to me as i've had it an unpresidented 5 years and has been to hell and back with me. I swore since day 1 that I would never sell this car.

Does anybody have advice????:hmm:

Wheelman322
09-08-07, 06:07 PM
Pictures might help...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/wheelman322/1.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/wheelman322/80Brougham2007-7-14.jpg
Picture it with wire wheels and the fillers fixed like it sits now...
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/wheelman322/78CadillacFleetwood2006-11-114-1.jpg

Night Wolf
09-08-07, 06:28 PM
That is something that only you could decide.

Really, cause blue book dosn't mean anything, demand dosn't mean anything etc....

Heck to the majority of the public, all those are just "old gas guzzling cars"

But I know exactly how hard it is, they are all soo similay, yet so much different. Personally, when I had my '93 Coupe DeVille, I was NEVER going to sell that, but it was stolen from me...... same with my '79 Sedan DeVille d'Elegance, that was an awesome car, and at times I did want to sell it.... but I could never bring myself to, and I know I would just have a really hard time letting it go..... it was involved in a heavy wreck though, and I basically had no choice.

Now I am in the same situation with my '89 Fleetwood Brougham, though the more I fix it up, the more I apperciate it, and now I am really starting to like it (again) I guess its just when I got it, it was really a mess and I had alot of things going on at the time etc...)

But to answer your question... well, like I said, its up to you.

If I personally had to pick 2 of your 3 cars, solely based on the pictures you posted and the brief details, I would take the '91 and the '80.... cause... well, the '91 would be a great daily driver, and the 350 Broughams are cool, plus it has the "newest" version of the age old interior (I like the digital stuff) and the '80 is a really cool classic, 2-door, even tho its a 368, still a big block Caddy etc.... To me, the '78 kinda tries to be both, and honestly, it dosn't (visually) appeal to me as much as the other 2, from the pictures you've posted......

But like you said, the '78 holds alot of sentamental value to you, and thats where it becomes your decsion. You said you've put $14,000 into it? Sorry to say, but you will never get that back if you sell it, that car would bring in maybe $4,000 tops..... so you would be loosing alot of money on it.

Basically, if you could, keep them all and hold off on getting any other new cars soon unless you really need a different type of vehicle (pickup/minivan etc...)

Wheelman322
09-08-07, 06:37 PM
That is something that only you could decide.

But like you said, the '78 holds alot of sentamental value to you, and thats where it becomes your decsion. You said you've put $14,000 into it? Sorry to say, but you will never get that back if you sell it, that car would bring in maybe $4,000 tops..... so you would be loosing alot of money on it.

Basically, if you could, keep them all and hold off on getting any other new cars soon unless you really need a different type of vehicle (pickup/minivan etc...)

Yeah...The 78 is not going to bring much $...but I did get a $6000 offer from a guy last year, so it would be close to half of what I got in it. On the other hand...I have 2 pretty new cars (06 V6 Tacoma 4x4 & 07 M45) so I won't be adding anything else to the stable unless another uber-rare Cad comes along (LOL). I'd like to keep them all but I would have to impose on my friends to find a parking spot.
I talked it over with a close friend and we agreed that financially it would make the most sense to nix the 78...it's just gonna be tough.

CaddyshackCadillac
09-08-07, 07:23 PM
I was thinking the same thing you just cant get rid of the coupe i know its tough but that 1980 fleetwood is a caddy mans dream and it would be a regrettable decision if you decided to get rid if her if ya sell the 78 take them rims and tires off her and toss em on the fleetwood.....

bicentennialcadillac
09-08-07, 07:45 PM
Sell the rice, or buy/build a garage. I couldn't let any of those Caddies go.

Wheelman322
09-08-07, 08:35 PM
Sell the rice, or buy/build a garage. I couldn't let any of those Caddies go.

LOL...Would love to but just not practical. The rice cruises me down the highway at 100 + mph every day. The Caddies would fall apart in a week if I treated them like I do the rice.

MaineWater
09-08-07, 08:39 PM
Sell the 80 FWB Coupe to me, jk i wish i had the money but im only a freshman in college, someday hopefully

jayoldschool
09-08-07, 09:46 PM
Sell a set of wire wheels! You'll make almost as much money as selling a car!

Wheelman322
09-08-07, 09:59 PM
Sell a set of wire wheels! You'll make almost as much money as selling a car!

I know. It's not the money though...I just need a place to keep 5 cars + my wifes.

gdwriter
09-08-07, 10:35 PM
The '80 is pretty rare, and I like the '77-'79 styling much better than '80-92, so I'd take the wire wheels off the '91, put them on the '80, and sell the '91. Tough choice regardless.

Wheelman322
09-08-07, 10:40 PM
Hmmm....Well either way it's gonna be tough. BTW all the Cadillacs have wires on them. I just don't have any new pics of the 80 yet.

bicentennialcadillac
09-09-07, 12:01 AM
LOL...Would love to but just not practical. The rice cruises me down the highway at 100 + mph every day. The Caddies would fall apart in a week if I treated them like I do the rice.

Seriously? With proper maintenance, these cars will withstand almost anything. Even if something goes, parts are cheap ... way cheaper than new car payments.

Just something to think about.

Wheelman322
09-09-07, 12:09 AM
Seriously? With proper maintenance, these cars will withstand almost anything. Even if something goes, parts are cheap ... way cheaper than new car payments.

Just something to think about.

Believe me I have. You would have to drive with me to understand. I drive the two new cars like they're stolen (over curbs/into oncoming traffic/well over 100mph on a daily basis). I just wouldn't expose the Caddies to that type of abuse. As a multiple car owner yourself i'm sure you know what I mean...You probably don't drive the 76 or 79 the way you would the 00 or 05

Night Wolf
09-09-07, 12:11 AM
Seriously? With proper maintenance, these cars will withstand almost anything.

If anyone thinks this is a false statement, I've got an '89 Fleetwood Brougham that is a perfect example!

Anyway, the only thing that woudln't like these Caddys going 100mph would be the driver, not the car.... the car would guzzle gas at that speed (no matter which engine it has) and handling would be.... fun.... been there, done that :) But.... they do it, smoothly and as a Cadillac should :)

77CDV
09-09-07, 12:18 AM
IF any one of the three just had to go, it would have to be the 91. The 78 is just too nice to cut loose and the 80, as you said, is so rare you'll likely never find another. Of course, you could always sell the wife (and her car).....j/k ;)

Wheelman322
09-09-07, 12:26 AM
If anyone thinks this is a false statement, I've got an '89 Fleetwood Brougham that is a perfect example!

...and handling would be.... fun.... been there, done that :) But.... they do it, smoothly and as a Cadillac should :)

Yeah so have I. My 78 does it with ease but I feel like i'm playing russian roulette at that speed.:bonkers:

Of course, you could always sell the wife (and her car).....j/k ;)

That's an idea...Actually it would be great if the wife would drive one of the Caddys. But "it's too big" and in the snow...enough said.

Night Wolf
09-09-07, 12:34 AM
Surprisingly, I found my '79 really liked to cruise at 75-80mph.... between 60-70, gas mileage was better, but it would tend to wander and weave a bit, 75-80... dunno, things just aligned or something and it would cruise like no other.... even with the 3spd, RPM was right around 2,300 or so, so it wasn't too bad...

Fuel mileage would suffer, I *could* get it to achieve 16/17mph highway at a steady boring 55-60mph, at 75-80 it would be around 14... which is kinda what it always was... 13-14mpg, weather around town or on the highway, I did kinda drive with a heavy foot tho... but I figured for that it was, the engine and what it was doing, thats fine... there are people out there with new Nissan Xterras getting 14mpg (thats what they get) so I didn't feel bad... plus I paid $300 for the car and it was $12/month to insure... I really couldn't start complaining about fuel mileage :)

Taking it on the trip form NY to FL, 1,300miles in 2 days, was one of the most awesome things I could have done in that car.... to this day it is simply THE best highway car I've ever ridden in, or drove... I simply can't explain it... it was just the best, my '89 Fleetwood Brougham, and my '96 Town Car can not compare to that car let free on the open road.... I haven't driven other '79's to compare, I'm sure the extra comfy d'Elegance seats had something to do with it... but that was about as good as it gets.

Cadillac_Fan
09-09-07, 01:02 AM
Like others have said, it would be best to keep them all.

My gut tells me you'd really regret parting with the '78. You will have dreams about that car if you were to sell it, and you will genuinely miss it. (I still pine for the '79 Fleetwood Brougham I once owned - and really regret parting with her.)

The coupe is indeed a rare prize, but after it's all said and done, I'd Keep the '78 and the '91. Your cherry '91 Diplomat Blue Brougham is phenomenal through-and-through; plus, with wire wheels - forget about it. Moreover, I think you'd like the practicality of keeping sedans.

Regardless, given your history with and attachment to the '78, don't part with it. I think you would really regret letting it go. Not an easy decision, by any means.

I really admire all of your outstanding Cadillacs - they are great representation of some of Cadillac's best design and automotive artistry.

Night Wolf
09-09-07, 01:06 AM
I just think that its neat how each car is so different, yet they are all the same... all the same chassis....

There were 3 major body styles of this generation, '77-'79, '80-'89 and '90-'92.... and hes got one of each.... 2 different versions of the big block Cadillacs, and a Chevy 350, from the hi-beam indicator in the shape of a crest and floor mounted dimmer on the '78 to the digital dashboard and composite headlights of the '92.... 4-door and 2..... these cars so so different... but all the same.... its really quite awesome!

Wheelman322
09-09-07, 01:15 AM
I just think that its neat how each car is so different, yet they are all the same... all the same chassis....

There were 3 major body styles of this generation, '77-'79, '80-'89 and '90-'92.... and hes got one of each.... 2 different versions of the big block Cadillacs, and a Chevy 350, from the hi-beam indicator in the shape of a crest and floor mounted dimmer on the '78 to the digital dashboard and composite headlights of the '92.... 4-door and 2..... these cars so so different... but all the same.... its really quite awesome!

That's just adding fuel to the fire. I'd really like to keep them all and you just gave me a great reason to. I actually wish the 78 was a 79. IMO that was the year that they perfected that style...the new steering wheel/digital stereo/the only year with the generic overhead map light (also used by Ford Mo Co)/better seat design and the little crest in the taillight. I really loved your 79 D'elegance.

Night Wolf
09-09-07, 01:22 AM
That's just adding fuel to the fire. I'd really like to keep them all and you just gave me a great reason to. I actually wish the 78 was a 79. IMO that was the year that they perfected that style...the new steering wheel/digital stereo/the only year with the generic overhead map light (also used by Ford Mo Co)/better seat design and the little crest in the taillight. I really loved your 79 D'elegance.

I agree, IMO '79 is, IMO alot better in design then '77/'78..... tho I don't want to say it alot.

My biggest things about '79 over the others is the grille, tail lights and steering wheel.

And each of those, I would replace with '79 parts if I ever had a '77 or '78.

As for the radio, yeah, but that can be switched too, but you still have the analog clck next to the fuel gauge, which is kinda cool.

Yeah, the overheat light was neat, that was was just loaded with interior lights... I always thought that was the same light assembly as my fathers old Bronco.

But.... for about $50 in parts from the junkyard, you could make those changes to your '78 to make it pretty much look like a '79... grille (upper and lower) tail lights and steering wheel.

Mystical_Ice
09-09-07, 10:13 AM
i'd say the 78, as bad as that sounds. here's my reasoning:

91 with the 5.7, that's got not only the power, but the class too (not to mention there are hundreds of upgrades you could do to that engine). like you said, it's only going to appreciate

80, with the 368, was the first year of a body style that successfully lasted for 12 years... that's also, i think, only going to appreciate, and i still have mine :)

deVille33
09-09-07, 10:30 AM
What's so special bout this 90? I guess it's a matter of personal taste. The late eighties and early ninties Caddies don't have the appeal for me. All cars in those years look one and the same. You have to look close to figure what they are, although the Cadillacs have a little more trim on them.
In the late '80's and early '90's Cadillac had that trans that would completely self destruct. I had guys wanting to give me their problem child, the body and interior of which was beautiful, because their only option was a new trans., from GM only, that was up in the binto dollar range.

Benzilla
09-09-07, 02:27 PM
Keep the '78, I don't see by any stretch of the imagination that the '92 is "cooler" I have damn near it's twin, and I love it, but you'd have to pry the keys to that '78 out of my cold, dead hands before I let it be taken. Especially with the fresh 425 in it.

I used to have a similar collection ('79 CDV, '83 CDV, '90 Brougham w/ 350) and you know which one I let to. But, if the '83 had been a Fleetwood coupe I'd still have it.

Wheelman322
09-09-07, 03:01 PM
Keep the '78, I don't see by any stretch of the imagination that the '92 is "cooler" I have damn near it's twin, and I love it, but you'd have to pry the keys to that '78 out of my cold, dead hands before I let it be taken. Especially with the fresh 425 in it.

I used to have a similar collection ('79 CDV, '83 CDV, '90 Brougham w/ 350) and you know which one I let to. But, if the '83 had been a Fleetwood coupe I'd still have it.

LOL...I was waiting for you to chime in. It looks like i'm gonna have to keep them all. It's funny to see the differant responses from different members though. I'm amazed nobody said to ditch the 80.

Highway Star
09-09-07, 04:19 PM
Another here for not ditching the '80. Is it possible for you to rent a storage facility for one or more of these cars? Sounds like you want all three. BTW, do you have them all insured/tagged? Also, if you're sentimental about the '78 now, you'll be even more so in years to come, so you better keep that one.

Wheelman322
09-09-07, 04:58 PM
Another here for not ditching the '80. Is it possible for you to rent a storage facility for one or more of these cars? Sounds like you want all three. BTW, do you have them all insured/tagged? Also, if you're sentimental about the '78 now, you'll be even more so in years to come, so you better keep that one.

Yeah...That's part of the problem. I didn't want to insure another car. I already have so many on the insurance. Renting storage is just not practical....Around here they charge $150 p/mo for indoor storage and I really don't feel like spending close to 2K a year for that.

Night Wolf
09-09-07, 05:55 PM
Yeah...That's part of the problem. I didn't want to insure another car. I already have so many on the insurance. Renting storage is just not practical....Around here they charge $150 p/mo for indoor storage and I really don't feel like spending close to 2K a year for that.

At this point in time both the '78 and the '80 should qualify for classic car insurance.

I had mine thru State Farm, on my normal insurance plan, but Hagerty offers great classic car insurance... its dirt cheap too... I was paying about $16/month for my '79!

Wheelman322
09-09-07, 08:07 PM
At this point in time both the '78 and the '80 should qualify for classic car insurance.

I had mine thru State Farm, on my normal insurance plan, but Hagerty offers great classic car insurance... its dirt cheap too... I was paying about $16/month for my '79!

I wish I lived in Ga. My 78 is $1000 a year on my regular policy. Classic insurance was actually more when I quoted it last year.

Night Wolf
09-09-07, 08:10 PM
I wish I lived in Ga. My 78 is $1000 a year on my regular policy. Classic insurance was actually more when I quoted it last year.

That was in NY.

Go to Hagertys website, or call them up.... you might be surprised.

Wheelman322
09-09-07, 08:19 PM
Holy sh*t. $227 for the year for the 78 and 80 combined. I got a phone call to make tomorrow. Thanks Nightwolf.

casciomichael
09-09-07, 08:22 PM
Belive it or not, the 91 would also qualify for classic car insurance, so long it was driven less than 3000 miles, unless you have grundy who has no mileage limits. Personally if I had all three cars, I would keep the 78, & 80. The 91 will always be more expensive to repair versus the 78 & 80. A carbureated car with no computer and no overdrive/ lockup converter is cheaper to repair / maintain than a fuel injected car. Besides that 78, 80, 91 are all the same platform so parts will always be easy to find.

Either way, the decision is up to you.

Mike

Night Wolf
09-09-07, 08:32 PM
Belive it or not, the 91 would also qualify for classic car insurance, so long it was driven less than 3000 miles, unless you have grundy who has no mileage limits. Personally if I had all three cars, I would keep the 78, & 80. The 91 will always be more expensive to repair versus the 78 & 80. A carbureated car with no computer and no overdrive/ lockup converter is cheaper to repair / maintain than a fuel injected car. Besides that 78, 80, 91 are all the same platform so parts will always be easy to find.

Either way, the decision is up to you.

Mike

TH400 has lockup.

I highly doubt the '91 would classify, I remeber checking about my '93 Coupe when I was going to get a new daily driver, must be 25 years old, and they won't cover a normal luxury car that is just put away.

Night Wolf
09-09-07, 08:34 PM
Holy sh*t. $227 for the year for the 78 and 80 combined. I got a phone call to make tomorrow. Thanks Nightwolf.

:cool2:

and YOU pick the value for the car, the higher the value, the more you pay (still dirt cheap) but in the event of an accident, you get what you said it was worth. Also IIRC thats full coverage. Not supposed to drive to work and grocery store tho, I don't remember if there is a mileage limit or not.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-09-07, 09:04 PM
Dump the '91. The '80s is a white Fleetwood COUPE and the '78 has all that money and time sunken into it.

90Brougham350
09-09-07, 09:24 PM
I'm with Chad, it would be the easiest to find another 91 if you want it in the future. The 78 has been your baby and has too much into it to dump. Good luck finding another 78 you would spend as much time or money on, or love as much. The 80 is totally out of the question. The 91 is special, because of the shape its in and the wire wheels, but you'll still be able to find another good-condition 90-92 for years to come.

gdwriter
09-10-07, 01:04 AM
You might also get a quote from American Collectors (http://www.americancollectors.com/) insurance. I've had Betty insured through them for the past seven years. Had a minor claim when I lost a hubcap; they paid the $40 for the replacement. My premium for the year is due this month, and it's all of $103 for the year.

Like Hagerty's, you get to set the insured value of your car. Also, they increase the value of your car to account for inflation. I've been pretty happy with them.

casciomichael
09-10-07, 01:11 AM
Rick,

I am 99.9% sure that the T400 did not ever have lockup. Although the T350 did have lockup, its model number was the THM350C. And was available somewheres around 1978-79 until the early 80's. I definately know that no cadillac models had a lockup transmission until I guess 1980-1981 when they used the 200R4 in Fleetwood, Deville models that were equipped with the 4.1 Liter Buick V6 with 4 Barrel Caurbureator. No big block Cadillac ever recieved the benefit of a lockup converter nor overdrive gears, hence the reason why they used such low ratio gears in the rear axle. Not even the 4-6-8 motors used in the Limos until 1984 recieved Lockup.

Wheelman322
09-10-07, 03:22 AM
I appreciate all the input. As you can imagine i've been thinking about this dillema all weekend. Still not certain what I'm going to do but the 80 defineatly has a secure place in the stable thanks to you guys.

Cadboy425
09-10-07, 06:18 AM
I have American Collectors for my '77 CDV , I've been with them for 10yrs and so far so good and I only pay $80/yr full coverage. If i were you I'd keep all of them and put the one you not going to drive as much in storage.
I had a mint 75 Country Squire i didn't know what to do with (77 Coupe got the garage spot) that i kept in a warehouse for a few years before i eventually sold it (paid $50/month to store it).

Night Wolf
09-10-07, 08:23 AM
Rick,

I am 99.9% sure that the T400 did not ever have lockup. Although the T350 did have lockup, its model number was the THM350C. And was available somewheres around 1978-79 until the early 80's. I definately know that no cadillac models had a lockup transmission until I guess 1980-1981 when they used the 200R4 in Fleetwood, Deville models that were equipped with the 4.1 Liter Buick V6 with 4 Barrel Caurbureator. No big block Cadillac ever recieved the benefit of a lockup converter nor overdrive gears, hence the reason why they used such low ratio gears in the rear axle. Not even the 4-6-8 motors used in the Limos until 1984 recieved Lockup.

Wow, really?

I thought for sure the TH400 had lockup...

heh, still surprised about that, I guess I also thought my '79 had lockup.... guess I was wrong... man... still learning new stuff all the time :)

casciomichael
09-11-07, 10:47 PM
Cadillac makes no mention of a lockup converter in the 1977-1978 service manuals. General Motors would lock up their transmission via solenoid w/ Brake Pedal Switch and Speed Sensing Device. The Cadillac had no such items in the car. That is the reason why the standard rear end ratio was so low = 2.28. The T400 did not need lockup with this arrangement. With lockup, cadillac could have had a better axle ratio for low end performance. It is a shame they did not install it in these cars. On the other side of the token, I have heard that gm's early lock up converter designs did not work too well due to their complexity. Chrysler devised a lock up system that worked from line pressure of the transmission. When the pressure reached a certain point, it would cause the converter to lock up. It was much more simple. I think I remember you mentioning that your engine was only turning 2,300 rpm at 75mph. That is a very low rpm, and is due to the axle ratio.

Take care,
Mike

Wheelman322
09-15-07, 01:42 PM
Well....I've had a week to think about it and it's not going to be easy but I think the 78 has to go. I finally got the 91 home on wednesday night and it is perfect. The 80 is just to rare and if I let it go I'll probably never find another. And than comes the 78....being realistic I know the car is only going to eat more money and is probably not going to appreciate value wise over the years. So....what do you guys think I should ask for it?
Everything in it is new mechanically....Motor, trans, brakes(everything inc. lines), suspension, tires, paint, vinyl roof and etc,etc...

96Fleetwood
09-15-07, 02:37 PM
Use eBay as a reference. I would say the market could get you as much as $7,500 if you found the right buyer.

Benzilla
09-15-07, 02:52 PM
Dammit wheelman, you'll regret it. You selling that would be like me selling The Phaeton.

Wheelman322
09-15-07, 04:02 PM
Dammit wheelman, you'll regret it. You selling that would be like me selling The Phaeton.

I knew you were gonna grill me...i'm just trying to make the smarter decision financially. the 78 is still not complete. the a/c still doesn't work and all the weather stripping needs to be replaced to make it perfect and it still won't be worth any more than it is now. It's going to be painful but I think it makes sense.

Benzilla
09-15-07, 05:40 PM
Sense? What does that have to do with anything? You already have it this far, what do you have, like, 10k into it? You did that because you wanted to, not because you'd get it back, so it doesn't make too much sense to me for that to be a reason for letting it go. Sell of one of the others before you have more into it than you can get out if you want to make it about money. Personally, I never let finances play a major part in something as personal as pleasure cars.

You already know you don't want to sell it, just don't do something you can't take back.

AMGoff
09-15-07, 07:13 PM
I didn't bother reading through all five pages of comments so this may have been said already...

If it were me I'd get rid of the '78 even though it has a lot of sentimental value. But here's why... you have the '91 now and it's the exact car you've wanted for a while. There's no reason to have two Broughams... it's awesome that you have a Coupe deVille... they've always been my fav. Cadillac ever. I still wish I could find one of the last-gen ones in good condition with low miles BUT with out the friggin full/half landau roof... I hate landau/roadster/vinyl roofs... I like clean lines.. but anyway.. where was I? Oh yeah... I would rather have a coupe and a sedan to satisfy whatever mood I am in on any given day. So get rid of the '78 and keep the newer one... I think if you use your head over your heart you might realize that's the better way to go...

If however you do decide to get rid of the '91 let me know... I had been eying that very same one for a while! ;)

Wheelman322
10-08-07, 09:30 PM
Well After a month of hard thinking I decided to keep all 3 Broughams. My friend is gonna let me keep the 80 in his garage until I get a house with a bigger driveway.

My_favorite_Brougham
10-08-07, 11:18 PM
Well After a month of hard thinking I decided to keep all 3 Broughams. My friend is gonna let me keep the 80 in his garage until I get a house with a bigger driveway.

Thank heavens! And you'll thank yourself many years from now. That '78 is just too nice to let it go below what it's REALLY worth. I say keep it another twenty years and fully restore it. Then if you still don't have enough room, send it off to the Barret Jackson and get a pretty penny. But I bet you'll have grown to love it so much that you wont.

Ya can't just get rid of a fine Caddy that's practically a piece of you over matters as trivial as space. Our love is deeper than that. I mean if you had one too many children, would you say "OK I love all of you dearly but I'm gonna have to boot one of you out on the street while I love the rest. Who's it gonna be?" lol...

Benzilla
10-09-07, 06:33 PM
Yes, exactly. I'm glad you came to your senses in time, haha. All of your Caddies are so damn beautiful, they make a fine tri-generation display. If I were you I'd get two other people to drive and have a motorcade into just about every local cruise-in & carshow I could find. You should post some new pictures of the Coupe, we don't have any really good ones that I've found.

My_favorite_Brougham
10-09-07, 09:03 PM
No, get a trailer for the '90 and tow the other two to shows. Then show all 3! You'd be a regular Cadillac train going down the road!

Wheelman322
10-10-07, 03:46 PM
You guys crack me up. I knew I would've felt bad dumping the 78 and I guess I don't mind imposing on a friend for a little while. Ben...I'll get some pictures up as soon as the 80 comes out of the shop. I told my body guy to take his time, so it's just been sitting. I think I'm throwing the 78's wheels and 2" whitewall tires on the 80 and putting the correct hex center wire wheels on the 80 with the correct 1.3" whitewall.

Benzilla
10-10-07, 04:02 PM
Body man? So she's getting a facelift, huh. I didn't know anything needed to be done. Not sure about the wide whitewalls going on the '80, I like the contrast of the blue and all that white on the '78, and I always just pictured the '80 getting correct whitewalls. Guess I'll just have to wait and see it. Are you going to keep the standard whitewalls on the '91 or get some wider ones?

93DevilleUSMC
10-10-07, 04:22 PM
What are the "correct whitewalls" for the `80?

Benzilla
10-10-07, 04:30 PM
1.3 inch. Just like these.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/101_0001.jpg

My_favorite_Brougham
10-10-07, 08:18 PM
Was it standard 1.3 inch through the whole line, Deville and Brougham? I was sure My '90 had thinner ones. :confused:

Benzilla
10-10-07, 09:40 PM
Yeah, but sometime in the late eighties they started putting "Royal Seal" tires on the Broughams, and switched to a narrower whitewall on the other cars. The royal Seals has a 1" whitewwall, and a narrow gold stripe closer to the rim. So, if you were to have put new tires on your Brougham, it would be a judgment call if you went with 0.75 or 1.3" They stopped making Royal Seals in the mid '90s. Here's a picture of them. Some people mistake them for Vogues, even though they're reversed. Sorry I couldn't get a better picture, it's hard to see the gold stripe. I'll look around for a better one. But you can see how the whitewall is slightly farther out.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/1991_cadillac_brougham_1633-E.jpg

EDIT: Okay, in this shot you can see the gold stripe better.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/12c7_3-1.jpg

93DevilleUSMC
10-11-07, 01:53 AM
1.3 inch. Just like these.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/101_0001.jpg

I've always loved the bigger whitewalls for some reason. How would they look on a `93 Deville, IYO?

Benzilla
10-11-07, 02:22 PM
I think they'd look wonderful, because it wouldn't be SO wide that it gives off a '50's wannabe feel, but just wide enough to set it apart. I've seen those on last gen Fleetwoods and it looked great.

93DevilleUSMC
10-14-07, 02:17 PM
How much does a full set of those run in size p205/70r/15?

Benzilla
10-14-07, 02:52 PM
Hmm, not sure about that size, but probably right around $400 with shipping.

93DevilleUSMC
10-15-07, 02:04 AM
Hmm, not sure about that size, but probably right around $400 with shipping.

Not bad at all. Now, what do you think about putting the bigger whitewalls on it?