: Wax

rusgmil
04-20-04, 04:24 PM
My SRX was built March 19th. Is it to early for a wax job?
Also, does the rear A/C draw cold air from the front system?

sgilbert
04-20-04, 04:40 PM
I've always undertstood that you shouldn't wax for 3 months after painting. Mine was built 1st week of April, and I won't wax it until June.

Not sure on the rear AC, but, since there in no temp control (just fan speed), it would be my impression that the 2 are the same, and that the rear is just an extention of the front system.

ttown
04-20-04, 04:42 PM
A good friend of mine owns a custome body shop. He recomends waiting 3 to 6 months.

b4z
04-21-04, 11:14 AM
3 months for a newly repainted car is a good idea.

But you can wax a new car right away.

Mine has some acid rain damage because cadillac does not cover the hood with protective plastic.

sgilbert
04-21-04, 11:30 AM
What would be the difference between factory paint and body shop repaint? (Assuming they use the same paint) ?

Personally, I'll wait the 3 months.

b4z
04-21-04, 01:21 PM
Repaints are usually a polyurethane which is solvent based and takes longer to dry.

Most factory paint jobs are water based. Dry quicker and are baked (like many repaints).

beers
04-22-04, 12:35 AM
I bet that the various body parts are painted well in advance of the car being assembled to the order specification. I don't imagine that they wait for the order to come in to paint the chassis, fenders, hood, etc...

I never knew that the factory used a water-based paint. Is this some type of urethane or acrylic enamel?

b4z
04-22-04, 12:28 PM
Solvent based paints have high VOC's. Water based paints do not.
My '87 IROC had a water based paint with clearcoat.
'86 was first year for clearcoats on Camaros.
After 2.5 years the paint on the bumper started to fade.
A year after that there was a problem with the paint adhering to the primer.

In '93 GM did a bare metal repaint for me with a solvent based polyurethane base coat clear coat.

11 years later it is still glossy except in one area.

But polyurethane does not take stone chips well and it needs to have a flex agent put into it so that the paint on the urethane bumpers does not crack.

b4z
04-22-04, 12:31 PM
parts and paint:

Saw a white SRX just off the truck the other day.
It still had the part number decal on the Center High Mounted Stoplight.
It was clearly paintd at another factory before it was installed at Lansing.

BMWDON
04-22-04, 01:48 PM
The sunroof is delivered to the assembly plant as a module with the painted roof sheet metal, which is then glued into postion on the assembly line. The rest of the vehicle is painted on the Lansing Grand River assembly line.

My company is a Tier One supplier to the SRX for acoustic and other gasket seals.

Don Marriott