: A/C Compressor Clutch

Roswell256
04-20-04, 02:43 PM
My A/C was making some really bad noises before. It has since quieted down but it has completely quit working. I've been told that it might only be the A/C Clutch but I'm not sure... is it worth getting a new Pump or should I just replace the clutch. MY thinking is that the clutch wouldn't have gone bad unless the pump was starting to freeze up and putting way too much stress on the clutch. Let me know whats up... I don't want to have to pay $250 for a reman pump if I dont' need too....

Also the service center that I went too told me that I would need a new "back pressure" valve... whatever that is. and a new Condencer as well. His reasoning is that if the pump is bad. Then all that bits of crap that came off the pump when it went bad are now in the A/C system. If I put a new pump on. The bits of stuff will get into the new pump and destroy it. does this sound logical.. .or am I getting taken?

Thanks for all your helps guys.... I could never have learned as much about the car as I have with out your help. :worship: :worship:

-Roswell-

Roswell256
04-21-04, 04:22 PM
Anyone? Noone knows about a the A/C system? BBob? Can it be? Have I stumped the Forum? lol...

PhantomCadillac
04-21-04, 04:36 PM
I know when we have A/C work done here (Florida) we replace everything because of problems that develope later from not doing it. Also on that note don't use a remanufactored compressor pay the little bit more and get a new one because my experience has been the remanufatored ones always seem to be a problem. And then your back to square one replacing everything again plus labor. Just a thought . Good Luck.

yup
04-21-04, 04:49 PM
I didn't get much help from this forum on AC related stuff either...

the information I received on another forum was that this compressor was not one of the models that "automatically" required condensor replacement (it may be able to be flushed out successfully) You will need a new accumulator and I would recommend a new (not remanufactured) compressor. The $100 price difference is well worth it. The oriface tube (back pressure valve) should only be about $5, so it is usaully replaced just for good measure. Be sure to ask about the shop's warranty because some shops are not as thorough as they should be...

Is the center portion of your compressor still turning? If so, the compressor is likely out, if not, it may be the clutch (or possibly something else).

Roswell256
04-21-04, 08:06 PM
I'm pretty sure its the clutch that is messed up ....but on that note I'm sure its the pump not turning like it should that caused teh clutch to die. I'll end up getting it all done right. Thanks for the help

-Roswell-

zonie77
04-22-04, 10:58 AM
What kind of noises are you getting? Any knocking is from the compressor, squealing could be from the clutch.
Some compressors tend to put metal particles through the system when they fail. Those are the ones that need the system flushed/condensor replaced when you repair them. I don't think Gm compressors are known for this but you need to check an AC site to be sure.
The "normal" service is to change the expansion valve and the accumulator whenever you change the compressor. The accumulator has dessicant that absorbs moisture from the system. There are filters that can be added to catch any contamination, similar to on inline fuel filter. They aren't too expensive.
Some shops want to flush the system every time because they don't want to take any chances of the new compressor failing.
So.....what kind of noise are you getting?

Roswell256
04-22-04, 11:12 AM
At first it started as a nasty squealing noise..then it went to a bearing going to hell knocking/ grinding noise...now its back to a nasty squealing noise.

Roswell256
04-22-04, 01:44 PM
OMG..... CAN'T THINK STRAIGHT.... HELP PLEASE...

One dealer Quote = >$1000.... over $600 for new Compressor and $94.50/hr

2nd dealer QUOTE = >$1200......same for new compressor.... $90 somthing/hr labor

BOTH = $40 for new POWERSTEERING PUMP PULLEY...which I need......

HELP..... I have no idea what to do.... I can't afford over $1000 to make my A/C work again.... Plus with the PowerSteering pump pulley bad....and my battery dead now.....and my Front Drivers side Strut bad.....and the P039 code.....and the internal electric locks now woorking like normal...... I'm thinking I should just sell the car and get a buick....

zonie77
04-22-04, 10:52 PM
Does the ac squeal even when it's turned off?
The clutch should spin free when the ac is not on and the compressor not engaged. I've seen them lock up and drag all the time.
Perhaps you can bypass the ac compressor using a shorter belt? Then you can use the car and fix the other problems first. You might try other shops around rather than the dealers. Where are you at?

Roswell256
04-23-04, 07:46 AM
I'm over in Northern Virginia / Washington D.C. Area. And its expensive. Well its done. My Compressor finally gave out and now the car won't turn over. It was squealing all the time. Regardless of whether the A/C was on or off. Now my car just does a dead WOOOMP as it tries to roll over once then can't. I'm pretty sure its just the A/C pump froze up

zonie77
04-23-04, 09:10 AM
Can you change the compressor yourself? I mean put a new one on the car, not the charging part. If you can't bypass it you'' have to put a new (or rebuilt) on. That should be in the $250 range. You could get it charged later. Let us know.

Roswell256
04-23-04, 09:13 AM
I think I'm going to get it done at a local body shop. They say it should run me about $700 bucks. $400 for parts. that includes the accumulator and the new hose. I'm going to be getting some body work done there also... so I'm thinking that if I take it in now with the A/C compressor.. they will give me a deal on the body work. They have been really very reasonable on the body work estimate. I'll let you know whats up with it. or what it ends up being if its not the A/C Compressor.

Thanks
-Roswell-

Dutch
04-23-04, 12:19 PM
You can bypass the compressor with a K6-750 (75 inches long) serpentine belt. This will allow you to drive the car until you have the repairs completed.

zonie77
04-23-04, 12:46 PM
Thanks Dutch...

Roswell256
04-23-04, 01:20 PM
THANK YOU DUTCH...if this works I owe you money man....lol