: Noise when slowing to a stop

fscpuz
09-07-07, 12:47 PM
I own a 2005 STS purchased new now has 35k miles for the last 5k I have been hearing a grinding sound when i come to a stop like steel grinding below my feet? I took it to the dealer and they said there is a differential noise in the rear and kept the car two days returned it with a new differential. I still hear the sound though less than before i am told that it could be my tires since they are original the tires look pretty good. Any one have a similar experiance?

RightTurn
09-07-07, 01:02 PM
Hello and :welcome5: to the forum. I'll go for the obvious...have you had your brakes checked?? Good luck.

malcolm
09-09-07, 12:32 PM
I have the same noise and am debating whether or not I should take it in for brakes. I have about 33K. I was just in for oil and the dealer never said anything so I assume I am not ready. The did suggest some scheduled maintenance but didn't mention brakes. Other that that the car stops as it should so I am not going to look for trouble.

Curious George
09-09-07, 07:14 PM
I have what I think is the same noise. My '06 is equipped with the 1SG Premium Luxury Performance Group (includes JE5 Performance Brakes) and the Performance Handling Package (includes high performance front brake pads). When new, the brakes were as quiet as proverbial church mice. When the pads had worn down some (after four months of driving--about 7,500 miles) the brakes started sounding as though all the lining material were gone and I was grinding steel backing plates into iron brake rotors. Most unpleasant, but as it turned out, a false alarm. I reported the noise to my dealer. The technician confirmed the noise and told me it is "a characteristic of the vehicle". I reported the noise to the Customer Assistance Center and was told the same thing. At home I removed the front pads, sanded off their contact surfaces, sanded the brake rotors, and reinstalled the pads. The noise went away. For about two weeks.

I replaced the front brake pads at a driving school in February at about 26,000 miles. The originals were gone; I installed new factory pads, same as the ones that came out. No noise! But the noise returned at about 34,000 miles (about 8,000 miles on the replacement pads). Deja vu all over again. Crap!

I'm looking into OER pads. The STS-V guys seem to like Hawk HPS pads. I've had good first-hand experience with Porterfield R4S pads. I'll keep all y'all posted. But if I do replace my pads, it might be 8,000 mile until I know if they'll stay quite.

porkfarm
09-09-07, 08:11 PM
I just ordered Rotax Gold pads for mine. Looking for solid rotors now. I like to install new pads and rotors at the same time, and this way I have a set that I can send out to be cleaned up and have ready for the next brake job.
The fronts just seemed to give out very quick and the black dust is extra heavy. Take a peek at your rotors and see if you see any deep scratches on them. This might be the sound you are hearing. The car also feals like I am being held back.. Just does not coast well and the gas mileage dropped..

Curious George
09-09-07, 10:32 PM
Porkfarm, check for stuck caliper piston(s). If your pads are worn way down, the caliper pistons stick way out of their bores. Braking torque can cause them to cock slightly so that they cannot retract when you take your foot off the pedal. Touch the wheels after driving for a mile of so. Warm or hot wheels are a sure sigh of dragging brakes.

Rotax is a go-cart manufacturer. Do they make Cadillac-size brake pads?

porkfarm
09-10-07, 06:43 AM
Yeah. I always like to pull the tires off and check the slides on the brakes. I just did not have the time to do it this weekend, but will do tonight. A good Christmas present would be, one of those laser heat/thermo temp guns. I could always point and click and compare the temps. I think that would be a great way to check to see if a pad is hanging up. Got the ROTEX GOLD KEVLAR from brakeworld. The box looks like MINTEX that I put on the Jag. I'll post after I do the cleanup tonight. Also have some rear diff fluid on the way, so that will be done sometime this week also.

jgrade
09-11-07, 09:51 AM
Yep, been through that many times. I used to work next to my dealer, so i have had the car in for that problem more times than I can count. They have replaced the pads 4 times in 1 1/2 years and 7900mi. Each time the noise goes away for a few months then returns. They also replaced the springs and struts (so they say), turned the rotors (assuming not much meat left if thats the case), and checked the calipers. They are correct that it is characteristic of this car, but thats not an excuse. To me that says it is a "known" problem that needs to be addressed.:annoyed:

Good luck

porkfarm
09-11-07, 09:59 AM
Well, I pulled the brakes last night and cleaned them up. The pads seemed to be bond up pretty good. The car coast much better now and mileage is back up. Good thing I have new pad on the way, they are very low. I also cleaned and waxed the rims to help keep the brake dust down or at least easy to wash off.

Curious George
09-11-07, 04:06 PM
Ah, Rotex, with an E.