: I bought another Caddy! 81 CDV

akimball442
09-06-07, 08:56 PM
Well, this one is probably fairly rare. It's an (I think) Sage green 81 coupe deville with a V6 4.1. Leave it to me to find the one with the lousy V6, I'd much rather have the 8-6-4 to monkey with, but oh well.

I'll probably end up putting my olds 350 in it anyway.

The interior is Dark green, and its in excellent condition. It's been sitting 20 years in the original owner's barn, with large logs under the frame to keep pressure off the tires (probably will need new bushings though..)

I'll get pics as soon as i get it home and washed.

86000 miles, and the owner stated that he and his son overhauled the engine and he drove it to florida once before he put it up. He was going to give it a paint job (it could use one but does not need it).

No cracks in the dash, no major rust, undercarriage looks beautiful.

750 bucks !!!

I wanted to buy the 75 CDV that I looked at with the 500, just to have a big body with a 500, but I decided on this one because I really wanted an 80-84, and I love the color.

Aaron-

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-06-07, 08:59 PM
Wow nice, no doubt she's a rare bird, don't see many with that big Buick V6 or the dark green exterior, and what a killer price! What color is the interior? Dark Green as well?

My_favorite_Brougham
09-06-07, 09:01 PM
Jonas - LOOK - SAGE! See, there's still a few around.

The Ape Man
09-07-07, 09:21 AM
If you really want a 500 then put one in the '81. Makes it into a really nice car if done correctly. The V6 that you have is sought after by Grand National racer types. If you do swap it out then getting a few bux to offset the conversion should work.

96Fleetwood
09-07-07, 09:48 AM
Congrats! That Olds 350 should work great in there... but if you want to keep it Cadillac, go for a 472 or 500.

akimball442
09-09-07, 11:17 PM
Well, here's the update. I went over to work on the car some, and get it prepared to come home. Checked the fluids, etc.

The car had not been started since 1995, and hasnt been driven on public roads since way before that.

Needless to say, the car needs work. 1/2 of the master cylinder was empty. Surprise surprise. I cant figure out if it has lost the fluid through a line (which all look nice) Or whether over the course of many years it has seeped out of one of the calipers or wheel cylinders. The brake pedal feels bad, obviously. But I did add fluid, and I'll know if its holding it tomorrow.

The engine turned over by hand, wasnt set up. So I put a battery in.

Turned the key, and boom. EVEN THE POWER ANTENNA WORKS!!!!!

ALL of the power accessories appear to work.

But, as soon as I turned the key a little further, poof, everything was history.

So I climbed underneath, and (not) to my surprise, the battery cable had rotted off the starter. Oh well..

I grabbed some jumper cables and bypassed the + batt cable, and it cranked over no problem. Oil light went out, so we tried to fire it on starting fluid. Fires instantly. It wont run though. I assume the fuel system is a mess with gas that is probably close to 15 years old.

But, $750 for a nice solid, fairly clean (although needs to be cleaned... mildew in spots) sage green CDV with the rare optional V6 still seems like a good deal. Pics to follow.

Aaron

Ryan T
09-10-07, 02:12 AM
Nice...looking forward to the pictures.

Wheelman322
09-10-07, 04:30 AM
Did you change the oil before you turned it over? I hope so b/c that oil has all the lubricating ability of a cup of salt water.

Night Wolf
09-10-07, 09:27 AM
Jonas, you here?

x2 on changing the oil

That car has lacquer paint, I bet it will actually clean up very well and not need a paint job....

akimball442
09-10-07, 05:22 PM
no, I'll change the oil when I get it home. I was curious if it'd fire.. I wouldnt even let it get warm with the oil that's in it. I'll change the coolant too. Although it looks like new.

Hopefully it'll be in my driveway later on today.

The car does need a paint job, it's had some paint work in spots before (competently done) but the color doesnt match exactly.

-Aaron