: Octane Boosters

MN-STS-LOVER
09-06-07, 08:00 PM
Is it safe to run an octane booster additive it the N*? I asked this question on another thread but only got responses questioning the cost per gallon of gas ratio. I used to use it all the time in carbureted small block chevs but not sure if it would damage anything in a modern engine. I am hoping to get a response from a tech on here.

Thanks!

Dadillac
09-06-07, 08:14 PM
What are you hoping to accomplish by running the octane booster? You only need higher octane if you are detonating. And if you think that higher octane fuel will result in higher engine output, you are misled. Will it hurt anything? I doubt it. Will you gain anything? Nope.

Don

MN-STS-LOVER
09-06-07, 08:34 PM
What are you hoping to accomplish by running the octane booster? You only need higher octane if you are detonating. And if you think that higher octane fuel will result in higher engine output, you are misled. Will it hurt anything? I doubt it. Will you gain anything? Nope.

Don

Thanks for your response, but as my post said, I'm looking for a tech to let me know if it's ok, not to question why. I have no detonation problem and I do see a big difference in output using premium. Having a 9 code N* it helps on the low end where the 9 code lacks.

dkozloski
09-06-07, 10:41 PM
Bushwa!

MN-STS-LOVER
09-07-07, 01:13 AM
Bushwa!

????
Don't mess with a faster Seville!

Ranger
09-07-07, 07:38 PM
I am not a tech, but I doubt it will hurt anything, nor will it accomplish anything that 93 octane won't.

MN-STS-LOVER
09-08-07, 01:06 AM
I am not a tech, but I doubt it will hurt anything, nor will it accomplish anything that 93 octane won't.

Thanks, that's just the thing. You can't find 93 here. Most is 91 some places have 92 but not many. The cost diff between 87 and 91 is about $.20 so it pays to run a booster instead. But again I just want to make sure it's safe.

Zorb750
09-08-07, 06:23 AM
91+Octane booster will be inferior to plain 91. Octane booster burns like crap. It artificially increases both the flashpoint and burn time on gasoline, without using actual octane hydrocarbon structures.

Submariner409
09-08-07, 01:35 PM
Yes, it's safe to run. If it weren't, the snake oil salesmen would be out of business.

zonie77
09-08-07, 06:29 PM
It should be safe to run.

Please keep us updated on your gas mileage and if you go to the strip the plain 91 and 91+ times. I sometimes think some of my cars run better on premium but when I did a comparison I didn't get enough extra gas mileage to justify premium. I didn't go to the strip in that time period.

Some of the earlier computers adjusted timing in large steps, like 8 degrees at a time. The newer ones are more refined and some can vary timing between different cylinders. I'm not sure what year breaks there are on that stuff.

As I said, five us an update when you've tried it awhile.

airfuel2001
09-09-07, 01:36 PM
Yes, it's safe to run. If it weren't, the snake oil salesmen would be out of business.

Snake oil is the correct term for those stupid boosters. If it says it raises 6 points, it means from 91 to 91.6, not 91 to 97. Your gas pump says 'minimum 91 octane' you have a better chance trolling gas stations and finding better fuel. I suggest going out and buying some sort of tool that you can put fuel in and it breaks it down and tells you its dynamic octane, that would be more useful than Snake Oil.

dkozloski
09-09-07, 08:08 PM
Octane Boasters!