: Inside a garage for 20 years!

prs1989
09-06-07, 05:05 PM
THIS IS LONG:)

Hi, I haven't posted anything on the forums in a while but I thought I'd get your opinions on this:

Now in case you forgot, I'm 18 and have a Western Saddle Firemist?? '78 Fleetwood (orangish), but its starting to have its problems even though its only at 96,000. So I've been kinda looking for another car (but I'd still keep my current Cadi in storage for a couple years just becuse I don't want to get rid of it) and I found a 1975 Fleetwood Brougham with 78,000 miles, triple dark brown, and leather. The body has minimal rust and needs the back plastics replaced. Other than that the body is good. Nice top. Interior is excellent, no rips, cracks, etc. Anyways the only problem is that the old man couldn't drive anymore, and drove it into his garage and left it there in 1985! He said it was running perfectly when he put it away, no leaks, noises, smoke etc. Now I was wondering what kind of damage not starting the car in 22 years could do? My uncle and me are going to go look at it, and see if we can get it going, but I don't know if it will like being driven almost everyday after sitting so long.
How much do you think a car like this is worth? He's asking 3000 obo, but I'm sure he'll take less. Anyways thanks for reading this and please post any thoughts!
-Thanks

P.S. If anyone has any leads on any 1974-1979 Fleetwoods near the Chicago area, or even in surrounding states for sale, please post that too!!

misfit6794
09-06-07, 05:46 PM
I've pulled a couple car out of garages before and heres somethings to do before you even try to start it.

First you want to make sure the motor isn't seized, if any water gets in the cylinder it will lock the pistons up, unlikely, but spin the motor by the fan blade just to be sure.

Well let's start with the biggest problem, the gas

I doubt that the owner put in a fuel stabilizer so chances are the gas has gone bad. The best possible thing you could do is siphon any gas left in the tank and replace it with new. ALso change out the fuel filter, and any fuel that was left in the carb. You want to get as much as the bad gas out as possible, it will cause havoc in the engine.

Now the battery will be dead, no question about it, so either buy a new one or bring on with you to get it to start.

Swap out the spark plugs, or at the very least take out a couple and see what condition they are in. They maybe rusted to the plug wires, but you should replace the wires anyway.

Change the oil and filter, no point in doing the work if your gonna run the risk of seizing the motor.

FLush the coolant, definetly no good anymore.

Check the tires for dry rot, sitting that long definetly took a toll on the tires, you will probably have to replace all of them.

Inspect all the hoses, belts, and wiring, time probably took its toll on these, just like the tires. ALso sometimes little bastard critters will chew through some of the wiring or hoses, or they will crawl up the tailpipes (no joke seen it happen). ALso inspect brake and fuel lines.

It will take some time and a little bit of cash, but if you follow these steps it should start right up with no problem whatsoever. After you get it running you should flush the tranny and brake fluid.

Hard to say what the value is without seeing the condition or knowing the mileage. But if you get it to run and theres no rust on it, with low mileage 3,000 would be a really good price. I see alot of older caddies with alot of rust and high miles go for 2000-3000 dollars.

My_favorite_Brougham
09-06-07, 06:26 PM
P.S. If anyone has any leads on any 1974-1979 Fleetwoods near the Chicago area, or even in surrounding states for sale, please post that too!!

eBay and Craigslist are always producing gems awaiting new love.

My_favorite_Brougham
09-06-07, 06:33 PM
Ok, I gues I'll do the work. This one's in La Salle county (would make sense, wouldn't it...lol). Item 413252995 on Craigslist. I know it's not a Fleetwood, but it's a nice coupe. Which will have to do since Fleets didn't come in coupes till '80:

"1977 vintage red Caddy Coup deVille / all original / needs some body work for restoration purposes / runs great / power windows, doors and locks / anti-theft lock / AC / recent exhaust work done / newer tires / beautiful comfortable ride on the highway / 123K miles / purchased from original owner 14 years ago / 425cui. V8 engine - Call 815-539-2313 Mary"

http://images.craigslist.org/01011201020201030020070903cd29a330ea6e7229c0003299 .jpg

To say the least, it's a bit nicer than Ben's '79....whoops....I didn't say that.

-Greg

EDIT: it's also Christine Red and only $1950.

Benzilla
09-06-07, 08:20 PM
Pff, whatever. Mine only has 10k more miles, has a better looking (read white) top, and I paid $450. Plus I think my paint is now shinier. If that's what you think, I'll have to get some new pictures up.

And my seats work, so ha! :p lol

My_favorite_Brougham
09-06-07, 09:24 PM
Pff, whatever. Mine only has 10k more miles, has a better looking (read white) top, and I paid $450. Plus I think my paint is now shinier. If that's what you think, I'll have to get some new pictures up.

And my seats work, so ha! :p lol

I have no doubt that yours will shine up quite pretty, Ben. So yes, do post pictures. But IMO, the all red looks better - less like an ambulance.

Oh that reminds me, did you ever get the seats working again in your '90?

-Greg

90Brougham350
09-06-07, 09:50 PM
Prime the oil pump. Take out the distributor and spin it with an attachment, goes on the end of a drill. Everything else mentioned is good advice. Be sure and post pics, alot of lust-filled eyes for big bodies around here.

96Fleetwood
09-06-07, 09:54 PM
If you are in Chicago, you should join http://www.westofthelakeclc.com/

I am a member and we always give each other a heads up of nice clean Cadillacs in the Chicagoland area.

See you soon!

Take care,
Elias

Benzilla
09-06-07, 09:58 PM
I have no doubt that yours will shine up quite pretty, Ben. So yes, do post pictures. But IMO, the all red looks better - less like an ambulance.

Oh that reminds me, did you ever get the seats working again in your '90?

-Greg
When was the last time you saw the Red coupe deville project thread? I got some pictures after the initial buffing, not done but a lot better..

And, yeah, got that taken care of long ago :)

z06bigbird
09-06-07, 10:18 PM
When you get thru with this project, you ain't gonna have no beer and pizza $$ left.