: My 1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville Le Cabriolet

CaddyChillin77777
09-05-07, 08:09 PM
Here are some pictures of my 78' lecab. Its been in my family since 78 and its had about 25k put into it. Its in great shape. However, some of the authenticities from the Hess and Eisenhardt conversion have been replaced, such as the unique grill and ornament, as well as one of the t's from "cabriolet" on the left side. One hubcap is missing which im trying to replace. It has a few chips which should go away as the car gets repainted, and a tiny bit of rust on the rear bumper. The fog lights have been removed (rusting). The button to open the trunk from the glove compartment is getting fixed, one thing im having trouble finding is the black strip that goes across the dashboard. The radio has been replaced, as well as the motor for the convertible top. The seats have been recovered with felt, changed from the original leather, and the body has been painted a darker shade of blue. The engine has had some work on it and has been running great lately. *could someone please tell me the specs of the engine? im just starting to get really interested in cars, and want to know what i have. Thanks and let me hear what you guys think of the car :D
http://picasaweb.google.com/L.Stopak...lleLeCabriolet

CaddyshackCadillac
09-05-07, 08:29 PM
link doesn t work

CaddyChillin77777
09-05-07, 09:11 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/L.Stopak/1978CadillacDevilleLeCabriolet that should work

305Caddy
09-05-07, 09:20 PM
wow o wow

Highway Star
09-05-07, 11:11 PM
Nice ride Mr. Chillin'!

z06bigbird
09-05-07, 11:23 PM
Tons of horsepower there.

Mystical_Ice
09-06-07, 02:29 PM
the 78 coupe devilles had the 425c.i. (6964cc, 6.9L) engine, V8 of course. despite the large size, they only made ~195 HP. back in the early 70s, before emissions standards got really tough, the engines were tuned a lot more agressively. with emissions standards rising though, they started lowering compression, and downtuning the engines, which reduced in lack of HP.

the good news is you could, if you wanted, do some minor mods, and gain significant HP increases. those engines are beasts... and you have the Turbo 400 transmission to back it up with, a transmission that even now is still world famous and people are still using them. you could triple your engine's HP and torque and not have to worry about beefing up your transmission. i'm actually not 100% sure on the transmission bit, but i'm assuming it's a TH400. someone can correct me if i'm wrong. my 1980 fleetwood had the TH400 too, and i'm pretty sure the 1978 devilles did too.

CaddyChillin77777
09-06-07, 02:56 PM
the 78 coupe devilles had the 425c.i. (6964cc, 6.9L) engine, V8 of course. despite the large size, they only made ~195 HP. back in the early 70s, before emissions standards got really tough, the engines were tuned a lot more agressively. with emissions standards rising though, they started lowering compression, and downtuning the engines, which reduced in lack of HP.

the good news is you could, if you wanted, do some minor mods, and gain significant HP increases. those engines are beasts... and you have the Turbo 400 transmission to back it up with, a transmission that even now is still world famous and people are still using them. you could triple your engine's HP and torque and not have to worry about beefing up your transmission. i'm actually not 100% sure on the transmission bit, but i'm assuming it's a TH400. someone can correct me if i'm wrong. my 1980 fleetwood had the TH400 too, and i'm pretty sure the 1978 devilles did too.

what kind of mods are you considering?

Mystical_Ice
09-06-07, 07:37 PM
well you're in luck in two areas. first, the four cadillac "big blocks" (the 368, 425, 474, and 500) are all the exact same external physical dimensions. so if budget isn't a factor and you still want to keep a semi-stock look, a relatively easy mod would be to drop in a built (<== keyword) cadillac 500. there are plenty of people that do it, or you could build the car yourself. www.500cid.com is one company i can think of off-hand.

second, should you want to upgrade, as i said, you have a big block, so the sky's the limit. start with the basics. limiting intake and exhaust restrictions. get a good pair of headers and upgrade your exhaust system. get a good intake (in your case probably just a better air-filter is all you can do :-/).

you want power on demand? look into a nitrous system. your block can handle quite a bit. don't try to run 200 shot, but a good 75-150 you should be just fine with as long as you use it conservatively :)

get a more agressive cam

advance the timing slightly... i did this on the 1980 and the difference was amazing. yeah it's not the most orthodox way of getting power, but it's definately an effective way :)

you could also get a better carburetor. the stock quadra-jet isn't bad, but personally, on mine, i put in an Edelbrock 600cfm. you'll want to get a squarebore-spreadbore adapter too. you COULD run a good Holley, but i never liked them overall, because as "performance-oriented" as they are, they have a reputation of needing to be re-jetted and sometimes completely rebuilt every now and then. unless you want to be babying and tuning it every other month, just get an Edelbrock. make sure it has the electric choke. you could go for a more agressive Edelbrock, but the 600cfm is for stock or mildly modified engines :) depends how 'all-out' you want to go with this :D

one of the CHEAPEST things you can do, if only for cosmetic upgrades, is get some chrome valve covers :) actually the only reason i say that is because i have a pair here that i bought for my car 3+ years ago and never used... they'll fit any of the four cadillac big-blocks, so if you want them, you pay shipping, and they're yours... no charge.

Obviously the best thing you can do, if budget isn't an issue, is buy a supercharged LT1, and drop that thing in, complete with nitrous.

also you could re-gear the differential to a more agressive ratio

there are so many things you can do with your engine man, it's all just a matter of how much time and $$$ you want to invest into it :)

CaddyChillin77777
09-06-07, 08:03 PM
haha im just getting into cars really (im only 17) so i dont have unlimited dough. can u send me some pictures of yours? l.stopak@gmail.com
but yeah i have to learn more about cars in general and especially mine because yeah its sweet all the things you can do with it and im trying to keep this car for as long as possible. i dont wanna do anything to ruin the engine though considering it has 180,000 miles but i'll do whatever i can within reason that keeps my car safe.

CaddyChillin77777
09-06-07, 08:05 PM
and im on that site cid500.com and it says the big block engines were in the 1968-1976 models. are you sure my car has one of those engines?

velynn
09-06-07, 08:53 PM
Let me know if you interested in selling your car.

Benzilla
09-06-07, 09:01 PM
and im on that site cid500.com and it says the big block engines were in the 1968-1976 models. are you sure my car has one of those engines?
Yes. You have a 425.

CaddyChillin77777
09-06-07, 09:14 PM
i'd be interested depending on how much you're willing to pay. my dad has had it since it was made in 78' and has put at least 25k into it. it has to be a really good offer for me to even consider it and i love that car.

Mystical_Ice
09-07-07, 01:28 AM
it says the 68-76 had the 475 and 500s. they were putting 424s and 368s into cars all the way up until 1981.

1980 had the carbureted 6.0L. 1981 had the fuel injected 6.0L. After that they went to the 4100 boat anchors.

Also, 180k miles. wow. mine has about 80,xxx miles, and it's a 1980 model. i don't have too many pictures, but here are some. most of the pictures are outdated though. need to take more. the car's still sitting in the drive :-/
http://204.57.114.159/lorenzo/cadillac/personalcaddy0015.jpg
http://204.57.114.159/lorenzo/cadillac/personalcaddy0021.jpg