Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  CadillacSTS42005 
#1 ·
Hey all!, n00b here. I am just about to pick up a 2001 Deville (Standard Deville sadly no DTS :( ) and I am as excited as a kid in a candy store. I plan on doing some mild and tasteful upgrades, maybe a new wheel tire combo and an In-dash DVD with a headrest unit for my rugrat so I can avoid the "are we there yet" insanity.

I have searched through this forum and found alot of good info. I am not looking for NAV or anything like that, Basically just DVD and CD /radio with Bluetooth would be good. matter of fact I pretty much will leave everything except the HU Stock. I just want a nice basic system (Although I do have 2 10's in a box in my basement that would fit the trunk nicely :D)

My question is this. Is there ANY tech papers on the things commonly needed to do a dual din DVD HU install? IE What MUST be removed to get the old HU out, how mych and what needs to be cut? Any adapters out there to retain the factory onstar, steering wheel buttons and warning "dings".

Thanks in advance and if I pulled a moron and completely missed a tech writeup somewhere please feel free to chastise me. :hitstick:

#4 ·
Welcome aboard. Forget the OnStar it won't work in 3 months anyway. Or didn't they tell you that either.

The not to costly mods, aside from audio are

as you mentioned, wheels and tires, this alone will take you a lifetime to decide on.
lowering springs from Eibach
you can get a pretty sexy spoiler either wing or flush painted for under $300

Performance wise you can get a tuned PCM from AJ
Exhaust from Corsa
CAI form Volant

I mention the manufacturer because they're about the only ones that make the stuff

If you want to do something with brakes EBC come highly recommended.

I don't mess with the audio in my cars. I just don't see the need but that's me. I think the factory 450 watt BOSE is just fine.

#6 ·
I am not looking to do much to the system in the car, I just want to adapt a decent HU into the car so I can have video. I was considering a NAV/DVD unit as well but I am trying to keep it on the "cheap" I don't want to get too crazy with the car as it is daily driver. I figure a nice set of 20" rims and proper tires would fill out the wheel wells decently without lowering. The on star I am not worried about at all, I don't plan on having it I just don't want to tie into a part of the integrated system, disable it, and cause a cascade effect on the rest of the system when I install the new audio/video.

I don't believe the car has the Bose, I think it is the standard Delco system but I will confirm when I pick it up.

Thanks for the tip on the lucerne brakes, I have a couple connections at the local boneyards as well as a couple friends that work at stealerships

One question I do have, when I replace the head unit do you guys have any suggestions for a lower priced touchscreen unit? I have seen so many it's making me dizzy
Also is it easy to tie into the stock amp and stick with the stock speakers (for now)?

Keep the suggestions coming folks!! and thanks for the warm welcome.

#7 ·
Awesome info on the brakes. I'll keep that in mind. Is that only a Seville thing?

#9 ·
No OnStar prior to 2003 is upgradeable. A very few 2002's are but no Cadillac's.

Where did you hear this.

#11 ·
OK but he said he has an 01 like I do. Not upgradeable. This has been such a mixed up thing from the start.

So these calipers off a Lucerne are a good upgrade? What years fit what? I'm getting ready to do some brake work, especially on the rear since I think I have a bad rotor. I asked about this in the correct forum but no one answered.

#12 ·
any deville and seville on the K body platform (dev 00-05 sev 98-04) as well as the olds aurora (they were the ones who actually discovered this mod and i went ahead and did it)
its a performance brake package on the Lucerne and the DTS, i forget the RPO code right now...
anywho they are a dual pistion cailper, i installed them on my STS and it helps ALOT especially with my ABS acting up, if you have 17 inch wheels which the DTS does and the 03 STS has standard then you can upgrade to the Lucerne 12.75 rotor as well, if you have 16 then you MUST keep your stock rotor

#14 ·
I have 17's I also have the stock DTS 12.75" (Actually they call them 12.8") rotors. Does this mean I already have these calipers? My car IS a DTS.

#13 ·
:shhh:just to quit all these miscomm's and misunder's:bonkers:, here is a link from onstar explaining why all the changes.

you can click on a link where you can enter your vin and it will tell you if you can 1- upgrade you onstar service to digital:bouncy:, 2- sorry your fu*ked cant upgrade:helpless::nono: or 3- your car doesnt need to up grade b/c its ready to accept the all digi network:p..........

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/digital_transition.jsp

#16 ·
Ohhhh OK So what year Lucerne calipers will fit my 01 DTS? Can I just order up Lucerne calipers of that year and bolt them on?

AND will the OEM DTS pads fit the Lucerne calipers? Please elaborate on all this.

Many thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.