: $4500 to replace head gasket...

AElayyat
04-19-04, 07:28 PM
Some ugly news about my dad's '96 Eldo. He took it into the local Caddy dealer due to a hesetation/lack of power problem, so the dealer looks over the car and they put it on some machine they have and determine that the car needs a head gasket. My dad got the car in mid Feb of this year for $8000 w/ 73K, would it be worth it to go a head and do the work or ???. The good thing here is that we got an extended warrenty, but they will only pay a portion of the repair, about 1/2. What would you guys do, we need some opinions.

OlManRivah
04-19-04, 07:46 PM
$8000.00 is a good deal if the car was in good shape. Paying 1/2 of 4500.00 is still an overall good deal for the car. But, I would not pay $4500 to replace the head gasket. Go shopping around. Even if you need to go out of town and get a motel room, you can beat that price, IMHO.

J.A.O.
04-19-04, 10:57 PM
Why wont they pay the full price??? If it says that that head gasket is covered in the contract, they should honor that. By the way, what company was it?

Lawrence
04-20-04, 01:50 AM
Are these US dollars? I would say $4500 is too much, even for the dealer. About $3500 is right, which should also includes ALL the bottom end seals as well. Or $2500 for only the head gaskets.

I agree with JAO, why half? Are they willing to make the repairs to fix the problem, which is one head? And you are going to do both heads? I could see that. But the difference from one head to two isn't double. Very little more work to do both opposed to one.

AElayyat
04-20-04, 02:57 AM
$8000.00 is a good deal if the car was in good shape. Paying 1/2 of 4500.00 is still an overall good deal for the car. But, I would not pay $4500 to replace the head gasket. Go shopping around. Even if you need to go out of town and get a motel room, you can beat that price, IMHO.
Yeha, that was $8000 out of the door tax, lic, doc. etc included, so I'd call it a good deal. So you think we should check out other Caddy dealers.

AElayyat
04-20-04, 03:01 AM
Are these US dollars? I would say $4500 is too much, even for the dealer. About $3500 is right, which should also includes ALL the bottom end seals as well. Or $2500 for only the head gaskets.

I agree with JAO, why half? Are they willing to make the repairs to fix the problem, which is one head? And you are going to do both heads? I could see that. But the difference from one head to two isn't double. Very little more work to do both opposed to one.
Yup Lawrence those are US $$$. We did not get a chance to yell at these crooks at the warrenty company to see why it is only half of the coverage. If it were up to me and my dad the car would be better off with a rebuilt/remanufactured engine in there but these companies are jerks just out there to make money off of people.

AElayyat
04-20-04, 03:03 AM
By the way the car is in exclent condition, blk/blk/blk, chrome wheels, gold package (not fan of that but oh well). and JAO I'll get try to get the name of that warrenty company as I do not have any papers on hand, car and all is at the dealer.

jgr7
04-20-04, 09:03 AM
It sounds like they are having you pay half of an overly inflated full price so you end up paying for the full cost to them from the dealer.

It is like the windshield scam in reverse, the windshield place takes your $250 deductable tells your insurance co the cost is $500 and then gives you your $250 back when the insurance co pays the other $250, real price of windshield $250, every one is happy.

I would check around on prices and see if you have to go to a specific dealer for your coverage to work, also check the better buisness bureau on this insurance co for complaints.
Jeff

ShadowLvr400
04-20-04, 11:28 PM
I can possibly get you done for 3k... Though the shop may not like me. :) They've been less than impressed with working on my car. :)

AElayyat
04-21-04, 01:18 AM
I can possibly get you done for 3k... Though the shop may not like me. :) They've been less than impressed with working on my car. :)
3k total?!?! Thats not bad, where is this connection of yours shadowluvr400?

AElayyat
04-21-04, 08:29 PM
*Update*

I found out some more details guys, the $4500 is to replace BOTH head gaskets (from what I understood from the dealer is that only 1 head gasket is bad), intake manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets, etc. So the parts total comes up to be $8xx almost $900. Then the labor is about $3500, and tax is about $100 brining the ugly total to $4500. Anyhow, my pop still has to pay the $2300, and the warrenty crooks are going to pay the other $2200, better than nothing I guess.

rag71359
05-10-04, 01:07 AM
Too bad you can't do it your self, I changed both head gaskets in my 94 seville for around $400.00

lack master
06-01-04, 10:20 PM
u can get a rebuilt engine for 4,000 bucks!