: My 1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville Le Cabriolet

CaddyChillin77777
09-04-07, 04:47 PM
Here are some pictures of my 78' lecab. Its been in my family since 78 and its had about 25k put into it. Its in great shape. However, some of the authenticities from the Hess and Eisenhardt conversion have been replaced, such as the unique grill and ornament, as well as one of the t's from "cabriolet" on the left side. One hubcap is missing which im trying to replace. It has a few chips which should go away as the car gets repainted, and a tiny bit of rust on the rear bumper. The fog lights have been removed (rusting). The button to open the trunk from the glove compartment is getting fixed, one thing im having trouble finding is the black strip that goes across the dashboard. The radio has been replaced, as well as the motor for the convertible top. The seats have been recovered with felt, changed from the original leather, and the body has been painted a darker shade of blue. The engine has had some work on it and has been running great lately. *could someone please tell me the specs of the engine? im just starting to get really interested in cars, and want to know what i have. Thanks and let me hear what you guys think of the car :D

CaddyChillin77777
09-04-07, 05:04 PM
Im having some difficulty uploading the pictures and im trying to get them up asap. If you can already see them, here are some more.

CaddyChillin77777
09-04-07, 08:32 PM
OK my attempts to get pictures up havent worked so heres a website with them. Enjoy. :) http://picasaweb.google.com/L.Stopak/1978CadillacDevilleLeCabriolet

Benzilla
09-04-07, 08:54 PM
Wow, classy! This coming from somebody who usually thinks LeCabs look goofy.

CaddyChillin77777
02-14-08, 11:04 PM
When uploading the pictures of the center caps for Ben, I found some of the pictures I took of the car with the top up, which I completely forgot about. Just thought I'd post them now.
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/LStopak/P1000080.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/LStopak/P1000079.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/LStopak/P1000078.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/LStopak/P1000082.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/LStopak/P1000081.jpg

Benzilla
02-14-08, 11:11 PM
Elegant.

Side note; maybe we've covered this, I can't remember. Why the '79 grille with a '78 header?

Ben

CaddyChillin77777
02-14-08, 11:21 PM
Well, the '78 grille had a bunch of broken squares, held on merely with some tape (it would have worked if I lived in South America hehe). This was before my dad gave me the car, so he just took it to the shop, told them to find him a new grille, and they found a '79 and just put it on. Just so I'm sure, since I'm still new to cars, the header is the sheet of metal directly above the grille?

Benzilla
02-14-08, 11:33 PM
Ahh, okay. And yes, the grille header is the wide chrome piece at the top of the grille. ;)

Personally, I like the '79 grille more than that of the '78. But I suppose the larger squares in the bottom pieces of the grille around the license plate makes some people wonder. That's what I don't like about the Rolls Royce style grilles on the 1977-1979 style Caddies, they almost never think about the lower grille.

Another thing is, it seems that most LeCabriolets you see are '79s, so I think yours would stand out even more if it had a '78 grille. Just thinking out loud. Either way, your car is a knockout.

Ben

CaddyChillin77777
02-15-08, 12:08 AM
Thanks, as I've said before I do like the '79 grille more, but have been inquiring about getting another '78 grille in case I feel like switching back. But also, I think it looks sortof cool how there are the bigger squares in the bottom grille then the smaller ones up top. Another way though to tell that it's a '78 and not a '79 is that the "Le Cabriolet" script is located up by the door instead of on the rear quarter panel. Another minor thing I have been thinking about is getting '79 tail lights (just the inserts). They have the emblem in plastic chrome which I think looks a lot better than it does simply in red.

But even though the car looks good, there are so many little odds and ends that are just frustrating. The two biggest problems involve the top. If you look closely at the fifth picture, to the right of the back window, you can see a gap of about a centimeter long between the weatherstripping and the window. Then if you look carefully at the fourth picture, you can see there is another gap between the weatherstripping of the top and the weatherstripping of the windshield. It seems as though something has happened that has shifted the whole top back about a centimeter. I think since it moved so much, it increased the stress on the latch so much that it eventually couldn't handle it and broke. So the latch is my second big problem, and since it was an aftermarket product, it is impossible to find a new latch. I have to somehow find an engineer to make me a new one.

Benzilla
02-15-08, 12:16 AM
It's funny, because even though I have two '79s, I've always been intrigued by the '78 taillights. I think they look more streamlined. But I know if I had a '78, I'd want the '79 lights. The grass is always greener.....

About the top, it sucks about the latch, but the way I see it, these cars are meant to be garaged anyway, so water tightness doesn't matter. Infarct I've seen a surprising amount of fully restored convertibles at car shows that are FAR from having perfectly aligned tops. Some have a gap as wide as a half-inch above the windows when fully closed and latched, with the windows all the way up. it's really shocking. So I'd say you're still doing good.

The lowrider guys are really into the LeCabs, maybe they'd be able to locate a workable latch?

Ben

CaddyChillin77777
02-15-08, 12:22 AM
Yeah, they make lots of conversions that are actually really easy to tell apart, but I bet they would be able to come up with something. Maybe I'll register on layitlow to see what I can find. But yeah, since I don't drive the car much in the winter, it doesn't bother me too much that it's misaligned. I want to be able to get as many summer rides as possible, when I get the most comments too! But also, I forgot to mention before, the motor for the top has a leak, so I need to get that sealed so that I don't have to reluctantly force it manually.

Regarding the '79 lights, do you think the plates would be easily interchangeable between the two models? I can't imagine those would be too difficult to find.

Benzilla
02-15-08, 12:37 AM
I'm registered on Layitlow, but the massive amounts of grammatical errors got to me, lol.

The taillights would interchange perfectly, I've had mine out several times replacing bulbs, super detailing, etc. Just four screws and they're out. 1978 & 1979 had exactly the same mounting, so it would just be bolt on.

Ben

deVille33
02-15-08, 12:41 AM
NIce car.

CaddyChillin77777
02-15-08, 01:01 AM
Ok cool, sounds simple enough. I just hope I don't have to look to hard to find them. If worse comes to worse, make we can trade caps for tail lights :D. Haha I don't think I'll have to go to such drastic measures however.

But anyways, if anyone has an extra set or is parting out with a set I'll take/buy them.

BTW, thanks deVille33.

gornati
03-24-09, 08:24 AM
Wanna sell it?
PM ME

mrarmer
05-23-09, 07:32 PM
I used to own one of these mine was 1978 le cabriolet by H&E it was Mediterranean firemist blue w/ white leather interior. Had the 425 cid v8 with turbo 400 transmission. Beautiful and powerful car w/ tons of torgue. I hated to sell it but relocated and had to let go of it. Considering buying another convertible.

your is Wonderful I like the 79 grill much better than the 78

CaddyChillin77777
05-24-09, 03:04 PM
I don't plan on selling it and yeah it's an awesome car.

gillianwhittaker@xtr
05-24-09, 03:28 PM
but the massive amounts of grammatical errors got to me, lol.

Ben

AAAAAHH sorry,not too contributory to the le cab. post (btw--lovely car) but I am getting old enough to regularly find myself irked by poor grammar
mike:crying2::crying2:

robb257731
05-27-09, 12:24 AM
Man, that's a great car! Love the colour, great looking interior. LOL, I'd have kept the leather for easy clean up in case a bird dropped a bomb while the top was down. The only thing about it that I don't like is the 'Le Cabriolet' badging...that just looks cheesy...maybe if they had done a better job imitating the Cadillac script I'd keep it, but if it was my car, I'd take that off immediately. Just my two cents!

lucy
06-10-09, 12:25 AM
I have a 1979 Le cabriolet the problem I am having is finding the roof rail weatherstrip for it would anybody know where I can find them. Or which ones where used I keep hearing that 1976 Gm were used but do not know which one.

Pure Xtc
08-20-09, 09:48 PM
Hey Guys, need some help, I have an H&E Hood Emblem but can't firgure out / find where i can get teh Base, or Which base will fit it. Any help would be apprciated.

Thanks in Advance!

jayoldschool
08-20-09, 10:18 PM
The regular Cadillac base doesn't work with it?

Pure Xtc
08-20-09, 10:21 PM

not that i know of..I've tried a number of bases and can't seem to find teh right one..this is teh only few pics i can find..but i need to get one to try adn see if it will fit.

http://www.mccgarage.com/inventory/images/124992349933128.jpg

http://www.autobooksbishko.com/products/stdImages/945.jpeg

Pure Xtc
08-20-09, 10:33 PM

bro, where in ontario you at..I'm in Mississauga!

mrarmer
08-24-09, 10:52 AM
Hey Guys I found this post on Cadillac and LaSalle Club

(email address removed by Admin - we should never post anyone's email address on a public forum without their permission)

maybe it will help you out. :):)

Hey all,
Well I may have some information that may help you all out. When Hess & Eisenhardt stopped making the conversions we bought out the remainder of their stock as well as engineering notes, part numbers, drawings etc. We have tons of parts that have been in boxes on shelves, much of it we cannot even determine which car it is for, we even have some parts for the Mercury Cougar conversion...now there is a hot seller! :-) I would be willing to scan the paperwork we have for the Eldorados and email them to anyone who wants it, all I ask is you be patient with me as we are crazy busy. Most of the paper work is just part numbers with the engineers notes or comments, we do have some wiring diagrams also. Maybe by offering this info to some of you that actually own the cars you may be able to help me identify what parts we do have here. I know what it is like to own cars that are hard to find parts for or even legit information, just let me know if anyone here wants an inbox stuffed with scans!
Thanks,
Mark

jack jeiranyan
07-19-10, 09:45 PM
Hi do you still have parts for this Cadillac Le cabriolet i need the lh driver door glass if not can you pleas help me find one please reply than you

deVille33
07-20-10, 08:19 AM
Thanks, as I've said before I do like the '79 grille more, but have been inquiring about getting another '78 grille in case I feel like switching back. But also, I think it looks sortof cool how there are the bigger squares in the bottom grille then the smaller ones up top.

If you need a '78 grille, I have a one.

Stingroo
07-20-10, 03:45 PM
Old thread is old.