: Why does it sound like there's somebody in my trunk?

Benzilla
09-04-07, 01:36 PM
My new '79 CDV project 'Denice' has a problem, and I'm slightly stumped about it. When I'm driving it, and I go over the slightest bump, there's a knock from the trunk area that sounds like somebody beating on the lid. When I got it, I thought it was just some of the junk in there rattling around, but after I gutted it, I still heard it. She has a rear sway bar, and Gabriel Hijackers installed if that helps. Can anybody give me some points to check at all? I already checked for loose exhaust parts, etc, could it be bad shocks or what?

Thanks,

Ben.

Destroyer
09-04-07, 02:07 PM
Might be the ghost of someone that died back there. Skip the mechanic and get hold of an exorcist. :D Ok now that that is out of the way check the mounts where the rear bolts up and where the springs/shocks bolt up. Rust may have damaged things.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-04-07, 02:54 PM
Jimmy Hoffa is mad at you!

slk230mb
09-04-07, 03:25 PM
Take the body out.

CaddyshackCadillac
09-04-07, 05:25 PM
check the air pressure on the shocks see if they hold air if they leak and arent holding air then they will make a clunk noise when goin over bumps...

My_favorite_Brougham
09-04-07, 07:52 PM
The spare might be loose and banging. That's what my rattle was. It was too obvious so it took me a couple days to figure out. :bang2:

Greg

Benzilla
09-04-07, 08:58 PM
lol, took the body out and it didn't help, so I also puts lots of air in the back shocks and it still did it. Also, the spare has been out, like I said, I gutted the trunk entirely and it still did it. I looked under it and didn't see anything jumping out at me, but what do I know.. I'm taking it to my mechanic soon so we can look at it up on a hoist, so we'll look it over more at that point. I think it's in the suspension, because when I manually lift and drop the back bumper, I can hear it from outside the car.