: Defective Timing Chains - 07 V6 AWD SRX

donhenry@aeiwireless
09-04-07, 12:37 PM
We took our new (03/02/07) 07 SRX in 5 weeks ago for Warranty Work- Dead Battery and Third Seat would not retract and Check Engine symbol was present-(7500 miles). Dealer could not clear engine symbol and learned from GM tech that several 07 SRX V6 motors have defective timing chains in them and have worn out of tolerance, and have to be replaced. Bad news is that there is a/will be a demand for the new chains. We have been waiting for 5 weeks and still no promise. The dealer gave us a 2008 DTS to drive. Since car will not run, Battery/Seat problems still unresolved.
Anyone else with this problem?
Gas mileage dropped for 19 avg to 16.8 avg and had lack of power.

AJxtcman
09-04-07, 02:04 PM
We took our new (03/02/07) 07 SRX in 5 weeks ago for Warranty Work- Dead Battery and Third Seat would not retract and Check Engine symbol was present-(7500 miles). Dealer could not clear engine symbol and learned from GM tech that several 07 SRX V6 motors have defective timing chains in them and have worn out of tolerance, and have to be replaced. Bad news is that there is a/will be a demand for the new chains. We have been waiting for 5 weeks and still no promise. The dealer gave us a 2008 DTS to drive. Since car will not run, Battery/Seat problems still unresolved.
Anyone else with this problem?
Gas mileage dropped for 19 avg to 16.8 avg and had lack of power.

I got the first one at are dealership. I am not sure how many are bad, but I think it is just a few.

Tom Wheeler
09-04-07, 03:29 PM
My 07's check engine light came on a little over two weeks ago at 11,000 miles, I'm waiting for the timing chains as well. My dealer says parts should be in this week and he has two other vehicles with the same problem. I'm still able to drive my SRX, but it's gone into kind of a safe mode I believe in that I only have about 70% power or so.

Tom

donhenry@aeiwireless
09-04-07, 03:54 PM
Thanks for response.
I just got back from dealer who now has the new redesigned chains for my SRX. His parts contact at GM said first order out of vendor was for 200 + and GM had provided wrong replacement PN. So the new chains had been available all along if you request the right PN. LOL.
He expects GM may issue a recall?
Don

AJxtcman
09-04-07, 07:13 PM
Thanks for response.
I just got back from dealer who now has the new redesigned chains for my SRX. His parts contact at GM said first order out of vendor was for 200 + and GM had provided wrong replacement PN. So the new chains had been available all along if you request the right PN. LOL.
He expects GM may issue a recall?
Don

The Chains I replaced, we ordered them and got them right away.

donhenry@aeiwireless
09-06-07, 02:15 PM
We picked up our 07 SRX from dealer lat night. Our paper work shows that TSB J0820 was accomplished which included installing (2) 12589011 chains, (2) 12616608 chains and (1) 12616609 chain. Car runs good. Servicing Dealer provided 08 DTS for us for past 5 weeks and other monetary considerations
We are happy.
Don

AJxtcman
09-06-07, 10:28 PM
We picked up our 07 SRX from dealer lat night. Our paper work shows that TSB J0820 was accomplished which included installing (2) 12589011 chains, (2) 12616608 chains and (1) 12616609 chain. Car runs good. Servicing Dealer provided 08 DTS for us for past 5 weeks and other monetary considerations
We are happy.
Don

Boy does it ever make a difference in power

DRKHRSE
10-05-07, 07:54 AM
Well guess who has the issue now..... 8500 Miles... Only got "on it" 3-4 times... Everything fine until I goosed it the other night... CEL comes on...

Go to dealer and yup... "Sir there is a TSB about Timing" I stopped them there and finished the explanation ending with "Dude I'm your nightmare customer... Someone that actually researches and studies"...

It'll take a week+ for parts to arrive then 3-4 days in the shop... Then they explain that of the 4 tires from Vogue I spent a FORTUNE on... 3 need to be replaced with Less than 4K miles on them!!!!!!!

I'm usually a nice guy - but come on... 3 weeks ago I take a day off as the TPMS was hosed... now a day for Timing Chains and Tires...

Anybody have issues with leaks etc after getting this fixed... Up until now I did ALL MY OWN WORK on cars - rebuild For Modular Engine etc... It sickens me to trust someone else to work on this that doesn't quite care for the car as much as I do etc..

The good news is I had the tools on my Laptop to hack their WLAN and use the Internet while there (before you ask, unless you have CYGWIN emulator and can find White Hat Hacker tools - don't ask)... I design and build city wide Wireless Networks so have security tools as well..

b4z
10-07-07, 10:10 PM
This is all i need.
I was the first '04 to have the bad camshafts which were promptly and easily replaced and now you guys tell there is a potential problem w/ the timing chains.

No check engine light but my '07 doesn't seem as fast as my '07 was.
i have not floored it for more than a few seconds but it is not quite as peppy.

Ivan Billson
10-08-07, 04:27 PM
Does this only apply to V6's or also the V8NS?
Ivan

b4z
10-09-07, 08:20 AM
OOPS.

Should have said the '07 is not as fast as my '04 was.

pepsi
10-19-07, 07:17 PM
Is anyone getting a response from a dealer that "some noise on start-up" and "at certain other times is normal"?

DRKHRSE
10-28-07, 10:04 PM
You all are gonna LOVE this one - Took the Car in on Oct 16th for new Timing Chains... Was leaving on a Business Trip for 10 Days so they had LOTS and LOTS of time to get it right you'd think...

I take 3 Hours of the precious 36 I was home over the weekend (Oct 27th attempted return of car)... I get there and the Rental Place is closed so I can't close the Rental Contract (just Taxes, dealer covered rental fees)... I get in the car and fire it up.....

Check Engine Light staring me in the face... I grabbed my Sales Guy to ensure nobody got hurt in the next few minutes... 11 Days in service and STILL not "perfect"... It may very well be the Tech never reset the CEL but he did a 6 Mile test drive... Even The service Director (Dept Mgr) was appalled ... Plus the Codes referred to Timing... 2 Historical and 1 New!!!!!!!!!!!

I very easily could have taken the car and activated VA Lemon Law (if I drove it off the lot it would have qualified... as it would have gone back a 3rd time for the same issue... BUT the sales guy and everyone else has been up front and reasonable... So they get one more chance to get it right...

The thing is , My Wife LOVES her car... We special ordered the V6 with MRC so it would ride on air... I don't WANT a replacement, we want the car we BOUGHT to operate correctly...

I know one of you is a Master Tech at Lindsay... PLEASE PLEASE follow the White Diamond '07 and make sure they get it right... Please (I'll spring for a Starbucks)

THX

DRKHRSE
10-31-07, 09:08 AM
WOW - Heard from Dealer on 30th (that's 14 Days after dropping off for repair)...

The Mechanic that replaced Timing Chains was "a little off" re-timing the Engine!!! One of the Cams was 2 Teeth advanced (engine Mis-Timed as a result)...

They are delivering the car today... Hopefully I won't be going back and forth now due to leaking seals etc...