: wire wheel covers 87 FWB...

ReagansRollsRoyce
09-03-07, 08:25 PM
Annoyingly, I lost one of my hubcaps on my '87 FWB the other day. It must have come off the screw somehow, as the gold holder that goes over the lug nuts with the screw protruding from it is still on the car, just the wheel cover is gone.

They are the 'wire wheel cover' model.

I am planning to scour the junkyards but was wondering:

1. Are these relatively easy to find?

2. Are the locks universal, as in, if I find one in the junkyard, will my current wheel cover key fit it?

3. Any other things you might have to say about this from your own experiences.

Thanks

RRR

96Fleetwood
09-03-07, 08:28 PM
Yep, the locks are universal. You should be able to easily find one if not a whole set on eBay.

I bought a whole set of four on eBay for my old '91 that had the standard full hubcaps for around $115.

lochenjons
09-04-07, 03:43 AM
yeah i find them all the time at the junkyard. theyre an easy find

Benzilla
09-04-07, 03:58 AM
Were ALL of the center lock wheels the same lock pattern? Like would the key from a 1990 fit a 1983?

ReagansRollsRoyce
09-04-07, 11:51 AM
Were ALL of the center lock wheels the same lock pattern? Like would the key from a 1990 fit a 1983?
'
Right, this is what I want to know

ReagansRollsRoyce
09-04-07, 10:40 PM

*Ben Stein voice* Anyone, anyone?

CaddyCanuck
09-05-07, 09:11 AM
I have a 1988 and a 1989, and the patterns are different. You would probably have to negotiate for the key along with the cover(s).

ReagansRollsRoyce
09-13-07, 09:22 PM
I have a 1988 and a 1989, and the patterns are different. You would probably have to negotiate for the key along with the cover(s).

As it turns out, I won them off ebay, and CaddyCanuck is absolutely right, the key patterns ARE different. Luckily, they included the key anyway...my original key has 3 points ^ ^ ^ and one side ___ . The key for the second set of covers has two points ^ ^ and two sides __ __ .

Now a new problem has come up...I can't get the lock on the wheel cover to meet the bolt on the mounting thingy on the wheel.

My first thought is that, although the bolt on the mounting device looks okay, the end of it might have snapped (causing the original hubcap to fall off in the first place).

Either way, I guess I am now going to have to have a new, longer bolt tapped in there.

Unless anyone has other thoughts?

Benzilla
09-13-07, 10:03 PM
You know, you don't *really* have to lock them, they will stay on by themselves..

ReagansRollsRoyce
09-13-07, 11:43 PM
You know, you don't *really* have to lock them, they will stay on by themselves..

Jammed in there?

You sure about that?

How about in a city with lots of bumpy roads?

ReagansRollsRoyce
09-14-07, 01:15 AM
Jammed in there?

You sure about that?

Turns out I found a solution...I remembered I had already had another one of the mounts re-tapped when a cover started coming off of it. I checked and sure enough it was longer, so I put the new cover on the mount with the longer bolt and switched that cover to the other mount.

I think what we can take from this is even if the wire wheel covers you find in the junkyard or on ebay look the same as the ones that fall off, the key and whether it will fit on the mounting bolt are some important things to check out. I seem to have had some really good luck in both casesL: I had the longer bolt on one mount, and lucky the ebay seller provided the key.

Benzilla
09-14-07, 11:15 AM
Jammed in there?

You sure about that?

Yeah, they will stay on as well as any other wheel cover. Meaning that there will be a slight risk, but it's not as if the wires were made extra small so that you have to bolt the damn things down just to go over 30. Just hammer them on the same way as you would anything else, they'll stay put.