: How do you clean your leather?

CaddyshackCadillac
09-02-07, 11:23 PM
just trying to get ideas and see if anyone got any tips or tricks.....

brougham_geezer
09-02-07, 11:32 PM
I was honestly about to post the same thread, so thank you CaddyShackCadillac!

The 1976 Fleetwood we just bought is the first car with leather that my family has ever owned, and we really are at a loss. I hear Armor-All is not really that good a long-term product to apply. Is there a conditioning process involved? Something to make them look great and stop them from drying out and crackin'? Any reccomended brand names? Detailing experts? Benzilla, I'm lookin' at you buddy! :worship:

edit: Oh, and if anyone is familiar with the '76 Fleetwood, what parts on the door panels are leather (if any) and what's vinyl? What would one apply apply to vinyl? And how should a dash be cleaned/shined? Armor-All = yes or no?

Cadillac Giovanni
09-03-07, 12:01 AM
Well, I've been using two turtle wax products in my brougham. A leather cleaner/conditioner works very well to get set in filth out. There was some gnarly grime on my steering wheel it took care of rather easily, and along the door where I rest my arm.

As for protecting it, I've been using Turtle Wax sun stop. It's been good, and it covers the leather and dash with a shine that lasts for a week, but I just noticed something unfortunate. I sprayed it on part of my seat and did not wipe it away immediately, and if left on like that, it causes discoloring.

So the choice is yours. Choose wisely.

Frost
09-03-07, 03:25 AM
First off: STAY AWAY FROM ARMOR-ALL!!!!

go to leatherique.com and get their cleaner and conditioner (2 bottle combo), It will clean and then leave your leather as soft/supple and smooth as anything that ever graced the seats of a Rolls Royce. I promise!

For vinyl, use a product that DI+OESNT leave an artifdical gloosiness to it (try Meguiar's vinyl cleaner/conditioner, "normal" gloss). For clear plastic and false woodgrain, I use Meguiar's plastic cleaner/polish - it will keep things crystal clear and hide any scratches.

Robert 96
09-03-07, 07:43 AM
I always use good old fashioned Saddle Soap. Just read the instructions and I know you will be pleased with the results. Just as easy to use as Armor All or any of the other products. It cleans and then buffs to a nice finish. You can find it at any leather products store or horse enthusiast store.It also softens and protects the leather. Stay away from Armor All.

96Fleetwood
09-03-07, 08:01 AM
If your leather is clean, the Lexxol 2 step cleaner/conditioner works well.

If it is very dirty, you might want to buy a soft bristle brush and use the Lexxol cleaner a couple times first. This will get all the dirt out of the grooves. The condition it and then follow up with the treatment every 2 months.

caddycruiser
09-03-07, 01:50 PM
My technique, as a semi part-time detailer:

1) Quite dirty and discolored--a spray bottle mixture of Woolite and water, some Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, and a drying towel. FANTASTIC and non-harmful way to get almost everything off and back to original coloring.

2) Occasional light maintenance--Lexol Cleaner with a damp applicator, then dried, and followed by Lexol Conditioner. No specific reason for the Lexol, just was recommended it a few years ago, liked the price and results, and have just continued using it.

05cts-v
09-03-07, 01:54 PM
I use Zaino Leather in a Bottle and Zaino leather Spray cleaner. It has a good smell to it and works well.

90Brougham350
09-03-07, 02:22 PM
I use Sandy's Dove Soap method, with a little modification, I put the soapy water into a spray bottle and mist it onto the seats, and use the same procedure with the sponge and Viva paper towels and so on. After a number of cleanings, the leather feels and smells far better than I ever thought it could.

CaddyshackCadillac
09-03-07, 07:41 PM
im thinking imma try that woolite and magic eraser because that magic eraser is unbeleivable with the things it cleans ....

Benzilla
09-03-07, 08:51 PM
Benzilla, I'm lookin' at you buddy! :worship:

Well, since I was called for.

I used to use Meguiars products, but a few months ago I decided to try the Lexol two step system, now I use it all the time and love it. Apply the cleaner with a damn terrycloth towel, the dampness is necessary to work up the lather, then rinse with a damp cloth to remove residue, then quickly dry it with another towel. Follow with the conditioner. I like the smell, and it leaves the leather feeling natural and soft, not glossed over and fake.

im thinking imma try that woolite and magic eraser because that magic eraser is unbeleivable with the things it cleans ....

Just be careful with the Magic eraser, it does work wonders, but that's because it has a mild cut to it. I you want to test this; take an old CD that you don't care about and rub the eraser over it with the pressure you would use to clean any other surface. The results might make you think twice before using it on some cherished items.

CaddyshackCadillac
09-03-07, 09:02 PM
Is this lexxol formula located and any auto store?

Benzilla
09-03-07, 09:06 PM
It depends, but there should be at least one near you that has it.

caddycruiser
09-04-07, 02:51 PM
Is this lexxol formula located and any auto store?

Should be, I order mine, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Autozone before. You'd have to check.

Otherwise, yes, I've used my Woolite/water and Magic Eraser method for very dirty seats more than once, never with an issue, and always cleans like a charm.

Of course, it's not something you continue doing as regular maintenance, but is for heavier soilings. For your monthly or every couple of months cleaning, that's where something like the Lexol cleaner comes in.

danomac
09-04-07, 11:22 PM
As someone else mentioned, I go to a horse hobby shop that sells saddles and buy a 2 bottle set - one is a cleaner and the other is a conditioner/moisturizer. Works like a charm.

eldorado99
09-06-07, 01:50 AM
As someone else mentioned, I go to a horse hobby shop that sells saddles and buy a 2 bottle set - one is a cleaner and the other is a conditioner/moisturizer. Works like a charm.

'round where we live this kind of stuff is easy to come across.

derrty_deville
09-06-07, 01:56 AM
I use Sandy's Dove Soap method, with a little modification, I put the soapy water into a spray bottle and mist it onto the seats, and use the same procedure with the sponge and Viva paper towels and so on. After a number of cleanings, the leather feels and smells far better than I ever thought it could.

Listen everyone. It works very well. Great cleaner.

arivera
09-06-07, 01:01 PM
Listen everyone. It works very well. Great cleaner.

So whats the exact procedure? Just spray soapy water and scrub it with a damp towel?