: take off roof rack?

natrotciv
09-02-07, 01:53 AM
would anyone happen to know how to take off the roof rack on the SRX? i dont use mine so i dont see the point in having it.

john d
09-02-07, 02:20 AM
would anyone happen to know how to take off the roof rack on the SRX? i dont use mine so i dont see the point in having it.
Well, here's a story just for you! !
I did something this week that may earn the 1st prize for the stupidest thing I've ever done.:bonkers:
While pulling in my garage I hit the door closer button on the visor just as the front wheels were crossing the door threshold....duh!
I've NEVER done that.
The door hit the roof rack and reversed itself as I was still moving.
Cringing I got out of the car and looked at the top and .. NOTHING ! ! !:):)
I fear without the rack I may have cracked the Ultraview (or scratched paint without an Ultraview) plus tweaked the garage door.
As it was, everything escaped without a scratch.

n7don_srx
09-02-07, 10:34 AM
Look at the rear attachment. On the 07 it doesn't rest on top of the molding. If removed there's quite an unfinished hole left. I had mine loose while devising a bracket for a ham antenna. But to answer your question on how to remove... carefully pry out the covers using something like a small screwdriver. There's a torx head bolt w/thread lock that holds as an attachment. Be prepared to use a lot of force. My wife held the SRX from turning while I got a 12 ft cheater to unloosen the bolt!

natrotciv
09-02-07, 12:59 PM
dang sounds hard...haha john d. sounds like a nice save. luckily our garage is filled up with an atv, bikes and airsoft products. so we dont utilize our garage. but thanks for the heads up.

natrotciv
09-02-07, 01:45 PM
after taking off the roof rack, i noticed that when i put the sealant piece back in place, im going to need some fill ins or whatever to cover up the holes and hold the sealant in place. anyone know where i can find these?

mike_1103
09-03-07, 09:21 PM
I had mine loose while devising a bracket for a ham antenna.

n7don_srx,

Didn't realize your nickname was a Ham callsing. I'm also a Ham Radio, and my callsign is VE2EMR.

I'm playing with the idea of installing a mobile ham radio inside our 2008 SRX.

Would probably go with a "semi-permanent" installation:

Power from rear Cigarette Lighter Plug;
Transceiver under passenger seat;
Remote control head somewhere on dash;
Sound sent through the radio system using he RCA plugs on the RSE System.

My challenge is the antenna... Since I have the Ultraview, there is no way to put a magnetic mount on the roof.

Also not sure if a bracket like this http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/k400photos.html would work on the rear door, as I had on the Equinox...

Did you use this http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/k550km.html Luggage Rack bracket?

Anyone on the Forum succesfully installed a mobile radio inside a 2006+ SRX?

73 (that's "Best Regards" in Ham Radio) to all,

Mike - VE2EMR

n7don_srx
09-03-07, 10:41 PM
Mike the antenna was a challenge. I had removed the mount and coax from another vehicle and made a "bracket" that's attached to the left rear rack hold down so I could use something I already had. I've since modified slightly the shape of the bracket but this will give an idea. I bought a spare cover and notched it for the bracket. I haven't driven the SRX much so presently am just using an HT w/speaker-mike. With AZ's mountain-top repeaters 5 watts generally gets me plently of coverage. If you want to email me at my call-sign@yahoo.com I can snap a few pix to give a better idea of the finished product.

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/6756/bracketoncardl5.th.jpg (http://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bracketoncardl5.jpg)

natrotciv
09-03-07, 11:49 PM
what is this "ham radio"?

mike_1103
09-04-07, 09:09 AM
n7don_srx,

I will send you an e-mail. I'd like to see some pictures and have some hints on your setup inside the SRX.

natrotciv,

Ham Radio is the nickname for Amateur Radio.

In a nutshell, it's a hobby that involves electronics, computers, radio, propagation, emergency service, etc... Unlike FRS/GMRS or CB, you have to get a FCC (or equivalent in your country) issued license to get on the air. This involves taking a written exam. Once you did it, you are granted a callsign and can talk to the world over the airwaves!

In the USA, Amateur Radio callsigns begin with the letters A, N, K and W. In Canada, we have VE and VA.

In order to stay on topic, when you cruise on the road with you SRX, you might have noticed some licence plates that have 5 or 6 digits beginning with the above letters: these are not vanity plates per se, but are plates issued to Amateur Radio operators with their own callsigns.

A good explanation of Amateur Radio can be found on Wikipedia at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio

Hope this helps,

Mike

IsaacFDodson
08-01-10, 12:25 AM
I'd like to see some pix too, as I just got a 2007 SRX yesterday, and am wondering where I'm going to put everything.
Thanks & 73,
J. J. Willis/AJ4J

n7don_srx
08-01-10, 03:43 PM
J.J. it's been awhile since Mike and I traded ideas. The mount is fairly straight-forward but as previously stated, I used a Comet (I think) mount taken off another vehicle. I don't permanently have a radio mounted in the vehicle.
Somewhere I have a few pix that I could post but it will take a couple days to locate. If interested and I find more than a few my email is n 7 d o n (at) y a h o o. c o m (with no spaces)