: Quick Change Service Centers

Mitch3
04-19-04, 11:49 AM
Does anyone have opinions about quick change service centers ? For years I have had my cars serviced by a Valvoline drive in service center with no complaints. Now that I have the 94 Eldorado I'm a little cautious.

JJhomer83
04-19-04, 11:58 AM
Does anyone have opinions about quick change service centers ? For years I have had my cars serviced by a Valvoline drive in service center with no complaints. Now that I have the 94 Eldorado I'm a little cautious.

My logic is if i can do the work and its not cold then i am going to do it. Oil changes are always done by me it costs about 14 bucks to do one in PA if you buy the stuff at a store

banstyle
04-19-04, 03:51 PM
They're too expensive. For $20, I change my oil, filter, and air element. They would charge ya $40-80 for that.

I do it all in 20 minutes too- get the Fram SureDrain replacement plug, and all you do is screw on the drain-thingy, drain, unscrew, done. While my oil drains, I replace the element.

STS 310
04-19-04, 04:16 PM
I spend 30 dollars at Jiffy Lube. Its worth it to me. Takes 10 min i dont have to fuss with the oil, and when my northstar needs to be topped off after a couple thousand miles they top it off for free. So you save 15 dollars or so if you diy. I think their great.

El Dobro
04-19-04, 04:54 PM
With quicklube places, you get what you pay for. Beware.

OlManRivah
04-19-04, 06:55 PM
I work and have 5 vehicles in the driveway. No time to fool with oil changes. Jiffy Lube does fine.

El Dobro
04-19-04, 08:44 PM
We love them. We sell them them two-three engines or transmissions a year because they forget the oil or leave a plug off or double gasket a filter.

Lawrence
04-20-04, 01:03 AM
We love them. We sell them them two-three engines or transmissions a year because they forget the oil or leave a plug off or double gasket a filter.

I agree. But I do use them and just watch carefully for leaks and the proper oil level when I get the car. I also always ask them to NOT TOUCH anything else. No lube, brake fluid, washer fluid, etc. Only the oil change.

I use Wal-Mart. $27.88 (5 qts.) for a Mobil 1 change. It cost me nearly that to buy the oil myself. I think dino oil change is about $12.00 for their brand, or an additonal $3.00 for any brand you want. WAY less than the Jiffy Lubes.

growe3
04-21-04, 07:53 AM
I use Wal-Mart. $27.88 (5 qts.)
If you have 1994 STS you should be putting on 7 1/2 quarts.

-George

Lawrence
04-21-04, 11:22 AM
If you have 1994 STS you should be putting on 7 1/2 quarts.

-George

LOL :) , I know George. I guess I should have clarified that. Thats just the way they charge, $27.88 (up to 5 qts) plus two additional qts at the cost of the oil. It adds up to about $37.00.

Thanks for that catch though. I suppose I could have had a long dipstick or something and been running the improper amount of 5 qts. I have sure seen crazier things.

NoFear365@yahoo.com
04-21-04, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=Lawrence]I agree. But I do use them and just watch carefully for leaks and the proper oil level when I get the car. I also always ask them to NOT TOUCH anything else. No lube, brake fluid, washer fluid, etc. Only the oil change.

You're absolutely correct. They always try to top off my power steering and brake fluid with unknown crap fluids. I'm constantly yelling at them, "JUST CHANGE THE OIL!". I use a place here in NY that's local and pretty fair in price. It runs me 35 bucks for the 7 1/2 quarts of GM oil plus they hand over the half empty bottle just in case I burn a little in between changed. It would be a few bucks less if I didn't request GM oil. I'm sure any oil brand is perfectly fine but I'm crazy when it comes to keeping things original. :) I make sure I see them crack open that new bottle as well. I've heard stories of old oil or no name oil being put in name brand bottles. I also get a full service car wash (in, out, rims, etc...) with the deal. The quick lube places are perfectly fine in my opinion as long as you stay on top of whoever is doing the work. Don't be shy! It's your car, you're the boss. Make sure whoever is doing the work does it right. After all, we're talking about 40 and 50 thousand dollar cars here!

El Dobro
04-21-04, 01:48 PM
When you leave the quicklube place, take the extra minutes to see if they actually filled the engine and also make sure nothing's leaking.

NoFear365@yahoo.com
04-21-04, 02:42 PM
You're right about that. That's good advice. Once, on my first oil change with my Eldo, the guy topped off my powersteering all the way to the top. I get the car back and my pump is making a terrible noise and the steering is jittery. What gives? It was litterly at the TOP of the can. You may laugh but I actually had to use a turkey baster to suck out the exess PS fluid. There are two levels on the dip stick, cold and hot. I just waited till the car was sitting for 5 or 6 hours, and sucked out everything necessary to bring me back to the cold mark. The quick lube places LOVE to fill everything up past the full mark. The only thing I let them do is top off the windshield washer fluid. That's harmless....

JJhomer83
04-21-04, 02:51 PM
The only thing I let them do is top off the windshield washer fluid. That's harmless....

who knows they might mess that up too

NoFear365@yahoo.com
04-21-04, 03:03 PM
who knows they might mess that up too

HA HA HA, I don't doubt that!!! LOL

Lawrence
04-23-04, 12:57 PM
My biggest gripe with them is the grease jobs. They ALWAYS over do it and rupture the boot. They love to pump it up until they can see the grease squeeze from the boot. Once done the only way to fix it is to replace the part, i.e. ball joint, etc. Very expensive mistake. So I don't even let them grease it.